My Labrador and Newfoundland Adventure - 2018

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AdamChandler, Aug 16, 2018.

1. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the RR Adam. I DNF'ed my last attempt at The Rock via Labrador because of an unreliable Honda charging system. My only DNF in 50 years at this foolishness.

On packing, I have determined that I am perfectly packed not when nothing else can be taken, but when nothing else can be left behind. My first trip to Alaska was a total packing disaster. I had everything I could possibly maybe use, and regretted it for each of the 13,800 miles I traveled.

[​IMG]
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    This load out for the WIN! Thanks for sharing!
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful scenery. Love the bike too :) I miss that kind of touring fairing on bikes. from a style and practicality.
  4. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with photo quality, everyone understands pixels, but what they don't get is the size of the sensor, i.e. a full size digital camera has a sensor aprox 1"x1", where as a point a shoot camera the sensor is the size of your baby finger nail, a smart phone even smaller.

That 10 Mpix camera is trying to cram all those pixels into a 1/4" x 1/4" sensor, there is going to be degregation or compression of the pixels, you loose detail, colours, contrast, etc. Where as the same 10Mpix on a full size camera there is less loss
    AdamChandler likes this.
  5. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Can’t argue the potential pic quality differences between dslr and camera phone. It’s all what you like and are trying to achieve.

Thanks again for sharing your pics, vids and story. I really liked the narration over top of the videos.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. Jager

Jager Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice report, Adam. Really laid out what y'all experienced.

A few comments and observations...

You write well, photograph well, and articulate well. A bit of editing would help streamline things for those who come across your future adventures. The hours of video, especially - I watched them all in their entirety, but honestly must wonder how many people in today's short-attention-span world will do likewise. Ten or twelve minutes is a pretty robust video. Much beyond that and the "I've seen enough" mantra starts to take hold for more and more people. Imagine walking along a cliff where with each additional step (minute) you're losing people over the side.

Less is more.

As a long-time photographer who invariably brings expensive cameras on all my motorcycle trips (the two cameras and two lenses I typically have in my tank bag together cost more than the bike... I'd have been hauling my tank bag into the bar with you on that next-to-last day) I completely get the attraction to good tools. But to call today's cell phone cameras "shit" so absolutely... well, let's just say your examples bringing the indictment... didn't so much. There are countless great images taken by guys with nought but the cell phone in their pocket. Give 'em their due.

I did find it a bit odd that, other than Lucy, I don't recollect ever hearing you refer to your northern friends other than by the collective "The Canadians." And as the days passed and frictions mounted... that seemed less and less a term of endearment. Big groups are nearly always fraught, for exactly the reasons you described. If they were close friends, I'm surprised you didn't pull them more into your narrative. And if they weren't close friends, I'm surprised you and @bb82bird didn't split from them earlier.

That said, sounds like you hit a home run connecting with @bb82bird! A skilled rider, laid back, easy going... he sounds like the kind of riding pal we'd all like to have.

And, finally, the question that stuck in the back of my head all the hours while I read/watched your review... why in the world did you choose the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR Tires? After riding on what sounds like far more adept off-road-capable tires just puttering around home... you chose those for your epic trip? What was your rationale?

Anyway, thanks again for a pleasant few hours. Looking forward to the next one!
    inbred likes this.
  7. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    great trip, sorry I missed it! Maybe next year, who's up for it?
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Some people had asked how the gear held up so I put up 8 minutes of my dialogue after the crash on Trans-labrador followed by 15 minutes of showing the damage on my gear and bike taken 2 weeks after I got home. Might be valuable to some people:

@8:43 - How the bike Held Up
    @8:58 - Jesse Boxes
    @11:55 - Machine Art Moto ADVance Handguards
    @13:53 - Shoei GT-Air
    @15:47 - Klim Dakar Pro Gloves
    @16:42 - Klim Badlands Pants (2017)
    @17:34 - Klim Adventure Rally Jacket (2011)
    @19:42 - The R1200GS Adventure Damage
    @20:34 - AltRider Crash Bars
    CavReconSGT and bb82bird like this.
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Thanks, have been messing around the last year with how to properly narrate. Initially it was just record and add voice later through my MacBook Mirophone. Then I added a Lavalier Microphone to my helmet which actually helps pick up the motor sound more since there's no wind hitting the built in GoPro microphones. I added a Blue yeti microphone as well so I can do post-production voiceovers on clips w/o any voice.

IDK, still learning and obviously still amateur. I do find having voice-over in the moment to be way better than trying to narrate something later especially when I'm 2 weeks removed from the thoughts I had in the video.
  10. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your trip. Lots of gems!
    Any crash that you can walk away from, and learn something, is a good thing.
    I enjoyed your narrative and honesty - riding in groups is challenging and personalities can often clash.
    Looks like you had an excellent adventure.
    AdamChandler and Rock709 like this.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Thank you for reading the trip thread! I know It was very long but I'm thrilled that a few people have taken time to check it out. It means a lot to me.
  12. sgio

sgio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the trip write up. Glad your "blind date" with BB8 worked out so well.
    bb82bird and AdamChandler like this.
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    @bb82bird and I are already going to plan a 2nd date. I might get lucky this time :p
    sgio likes this.
  14. bb82bird

bb82bird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AdamChandler likes this.
  15. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    'If seeing GS riders with expensive LED lights, Klim Gore-tex Suits and expensive camping equipment makes you angry, mad and feeling like we over-planned and this trip is totally doable on a KLR and a trash bag as a suit, please keep that opinion to yourself as well. This is a ride report with some bits in there where I talk about my equipment. We're typical GS assholes. Get over it please.'

Hah! :imaposerI got over it. :rofl
    Great report Adam, and super photos. On my most recent trip I didn't spent a lot of time with the camera because I was hurrying home and it's always nice to see pics from someone who did.
    Sorry to hear about the crash. Those gravel humps can be trouble. https://advrider.com/f/threads/taking-the-long-way-home-a-scooter-across-labrador.1344637/

Nick
    20180901_140751.jpg
    bb82bird and AdamChandler like this.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Time to read your report, @nick949eldo !!!! thanks for the link!
    nick949eldo likes this.
  17. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this report Adam. I enjoyed it all. As for thoughts on smart phones or cameras; I have no choice as I don't even own a smart phone. Don't miss them either. Guess I'm just a Luddite...:D or an analogue guy in a digital world.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. drsales

drsales Wondering Why

Oddometer:
    Sunnyside Tower B&B, Catawba Island, Ohio
    Loved your report, it’s helping me plan our trip up to Labrador and Newfoundland from Ohio.
    Tires are a big concern in my mind, trying to find a highway and dirt road compromise. I’m leaning to the MotoZ GPS TRACTIONATOR. In your video you stated others in your group were using the MOTOZ Adventure TIRE.
    Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

We (2) leave Port Clinton, Ohio August 4th, 2019. Taking 2 weeks and planning to motel it as we are in our mid 60’s but taking a bag and small tent for emergency backup. I’m riding 2012 1200 GSA.
    Thanks
    Pete
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I'll let @bb82bird speak to his experience with the Tractionator. He's my riding buddy on that trip and I think he put 5500 miles on them.

safe travels!
    drsales likes this.
  20. inbred

inbred Sweeter than Yoo-hoo

Oddometer:
    I have an I Mac Pro 27 Retina display. Photos are killer on it. Ansolutely killer. I'm able to zoom in no problem, gpfan. Are you trying to make a case that this bloke's photos don't have a quality look? Come on, buddy, admit it. It's way cool that this Dude carries a real camera. One of every 200 ADV riders packs nice glass these days. Yeh, I'd like to see him lose the copywrite crap, which somewhat inhibited my experience, but it was a great effort.