My Labrador and Newfoundland Adventure - 2018

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AdamChandler, Aug 16, 2018.

1. CDN_Bacon

CDN_Bacon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Carrying good glass is nice but there's no point if you can't use it to its full potential. Most people can't or won't on a road trip like this. A good smart phone like a high end iPhone or Pixel 2 will give you 80+% of what a dSLR will give you on shooting under conditions like this trip. The nicety of having glass on a trip like this is an adjustable zoom and f-stop but honestly I assumed the pics in this report were shot on a smartphone. Not a SLR.

I used to carry my dSLR everywhere for years until I got tired of hauling it around, worried about damaging it or getting it stolen and then at some point realized just that, I can get 80% of the quality from my smart phone and save all that space and hassle? Perfect. Especially when I'm on the road and want something quick to whip out and grab a pic and carry on or out socializing or walking around town. If i'm in the creative mood or need the capability like night shooting, long exposures or fast action etc then I'll drag the dSLR out with me.

That being said, I enjoyed your RR. Its easy for people to sit in a chair and say we'd do it like this or like that etc but most have never gone and actually done a long trip. The Labrador trip is on my list and I'm hoping in a year or maybe two. I am curious what you were using for a drone? You seem to like expensive thing so I'm guessing a MP2 or something?
  2. Jager

Jager Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Indeed, for every rider who actually puts themselves out there, there are ten keyboard commandos. Guys who will rationalize six ways to Sunday why they never do big, multi-day adventures... when the real reason... well, we all know the real reason why they never do it.

Like Adam, I invariably schlep good glass and expensive cameras with me (albeit, in my case I carry Leica rangefinders, so the bulk is substantially reduced over an SLR/dSLR). But, then, photography is a passion in its own right for me, so that's why I persevere. But, yeah, smartphone cameras have gotten astonishingly good. And the way we mostly view images today, the technical benefits that bigger cameras bring are largely obscured. A good photographer armed with a current-generation smartphone can certainly rock some amazing images!

Probably the thing that impressed me most with Adam's imagery was the drone. Those aircraft are smaller than they used to be, of course. But their bulk is still anything but trivial. I'm still not sure how he managed to carry everything!

Definitely looking forward to his next adventure...
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know if I agree with the 80% rule. I'm not a good photographer, never claimed to be but when I look at these photos side-by-side, year after year, I continue to bring my DSLR because smartphones have not caught up....not even close. and I buy a new iPhone every year hoping this will be the one that can save me but it doesn't happen mostly because smartphones physical do not have the sensor / glass size to compete. If I was a professional, the gap would be even larger.

Also, the reason I don't post full size images to here is because at least 3 occasions in the last 6 months where people specifically PM me saying not to. "I'm on a wireless phone connection and you just ate up my data with your 15 megabyte photos" people actually upset. But on my iMac at home, I can absolutely see the difference when I look at these in lightroom and I prefer the SLR ones. if people don't agree with me, good because it saves them thousands of dollars in equipment. like people who think single malt scotch is better, they now have to spend more on booze where the guy drinking fireball gets to retire early.

Same setting, same time of day. iPhone and SLR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The only edits I do to my photos is adjusting exposure and adding a watermark and trust me, people do steal my photos. I'm only doing one DMCA a week now but I still have to do them enough to justify the watermark. Unfortunately, most people crop it out which is even more malicious.

As you can see though my photos get a lot of views. People find something on google images and just think they can copy it:
    [​IMG]
  4. inbred

inbred Sweeter than Yoo-hoo

Oddometer:
    Imagine the size of the forearms the mechanic has that has to wrestle those tires off the Cat Dumper? The tire irons must be as big as fence posts!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  5. CDN_Bacon

Oddometer:
    What model drone are you using? Shopping for one at the moment and always like to see what people are using.
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    After many failed attempts at drone-ownership, I am using the Mavic Air. I find the image to be mostly flat, there's still a lot of compression artifacts and other tech-ery that most smartphone video consumers would never give a crap about but

1. It fits on the bike w/o taking up a lot of space
    2. the batteries are tiny
    3. I can control it with my phone
    4. It seems un-crashable. seriously. I've crashed every drone I've ever owned. This one just flies and stops when there's a tree in front. It's awesome.
  7. bb82bird

bb82bird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would highly recommended the MOTOZ’s. I’m not sure exactly how many miles I have on them at this point but it’s well over 5,000. I was thinking that they would be worn out by the end of are trip but they’re still on the bike now IMG_3763.jpg
    CavReconSGT, drsales and AdamChandler like this.
  8. CDN_Bacon

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I've been mulling over the Air and the MP2. Air is 1/2 the price which is mighty tempting...
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    If the Mavic Pro 2 was available when I was ready to buy, I would have seriously considered it but it's a lot more money and in my workflow, I still haven't figured out how to utilize drone photography because I'm also the kind of person who hates slowing down a group so when I'm not riding alone, I don't use the drone at all. Luckily, my riding buddy encouraged it.
    bb82bird likes this.
  10. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    That's the bummer of trying to get good trip pics. You / the photographer needs to keep it simple and quick. Not easy to do with specialized equipment.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Correct and I've ridden in groups where someone really has to get that shot and we're all sitting around waiting. I never want to be that guy so I'm always waiting for others to stop. The benefits of being in a group for safety and social reasons outweigh the nice photos for Internet people :)
    Zubb likes this.
  12. drsales

drsales Wondering Why

Oddometer:
    Sunnyside Tower B&B, Catawba Island, Ohio

Thanks for the report, I think both of us coming are going to order the Motoz GPS Tractionator
    bb82bird and AdamChandler like this.
  13. Brett737cap

Brett737cap Life is short... leave with no regrets. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Adam, great RR. I’m currently in St John’s doing a similar trip out of Virginia. I read your entire RR before leaving and it was good info. Thanks! This place is incredible! I’ve loved every minute of it. I’m Doing a RR as I go. And you’re right, there are a lot of hot women here, esp in St John’s. I’m married so I can’t partake but young single guys coming up here could have a damn good time.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    That should be Labrador's tourist advertisement. "Young single guys...you should just come up...seriously come"

:p

Thanks and words, photos videos they can't really showcase how amazing it is up there. I think Newfoundland was my favorite of the entire trip. I'm itching to go back.
  15. Brett737cap

Brett737cap Life is short... leave with no regrets. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haha, that’s pretty good. I’ll submit it to the tourism authority for their motto.

I’m here in St Johns for the next 4 days because my wife is flying up to meet me for a few days so I should be able to get caught up on the RR. It’s the George st music festival the next few days so the city is rocking!

Until you get back up here you can follow along on my RR:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/visi...irginia-to-labrador-and-newfoundland.1396967/
    AdamChandler likes this.
  16. drsales

drsales Wondering Why

Oddometer:
    We are 2500 miles into our trip and the tires have been fantastic in all types of conditions. Very, very pleased.
    bb82bird likes this.
  17. drsales

drsales Wondering Why

Oddometer:
    87260B69-6EEB-4620-9183-AB2E6951E024.jpeg EB838B8D-5F7C-4436-A0C1-FE14AFA7F0B2.jpeg ) Trip is over with final mileage 4850. 2012 1200 GSA. Weight carried, rider 265 lbs and gear 70lbs.
  18. Jimmy C

Jimmy C Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Adam,
    My name is James, from Udora, ON. I will be setting out on 3 July 2019 from Udora, taking a very circuitous route through Northeastern Ontario to Baie Comeau, then heading through Labrador clockwise, over to NFLD, then Cape Breton, and eventually to PEI for a few weeks, then back to Udora. I just discovered your posts this morning, and look forward to reviewing the ride report to gather info for my trip this summer. Any reason I shouldn't do this solo?
    CavReconSGT and Rock709 like this.
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    We still had a random snow dusting on July 27th which was funny but if your research suggests 1st of July is fine, then go for it! it'll definitely be less flies at that point.

As for doing it solo, a Spot / InReach is probably a good idea but as long as you're not going off-road like down some random road for a few clicks, are using proper tires (Tractionators are a good choice) and are a competent rider, chances are someone will come by and save you if you crash under your bike and break a leg. Definitely don't ride past dusk for moose reasons but you'll have a great time even solo.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  20. Rock709

Rock709 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cell phone reception may be poor or non existent between Lab City and Goose Bay. When I traveled this section in 2012, the RCMP detachment offered a satellite phone in Goosebay (with a deposit). Then drop off at the RCMP in Lab City. Check out my ride report video in my signature below.
    Jimmy C likes this.