My Labrador and Newfoundland Adventure - 2018

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AdamChandler, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Jimmy C

Jimmy C Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This past summer we explored the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. Their is an Upper Penninsula Adventure Trail, both a big-bike route and a small bike route. I was really glad to get that tip ahead of time, as we were on 1200's with an F650 along -- from Whitefish Point and Paradise to Duluth is beautiful -- super sandy. I was sent some photos of the small bike route -- it included some pics of DR400's axel deep in sand. The Upper Penninsula is wonderful, people are great, there are breweries and cool places to camp. The Lake Superior Brewing Company and Dunes Saloon in Grand Marais Michingan is a highlight. We hit it midday for beers and lunch. It was loud, rowdy, and awesome.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. Jimmy C

Jimmy C Adventurer

Oddometer:
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    We brought 150 CAD with us and every place we went took credit cards so I just used the cash at bars to buy beers in NL/NS on our last few days. Some firewood cost 20 CAD things like that but nothing detrimental to the trip that required cash.

No bears or moose on this trip.

We had JetBoil 4 different nights of the 11. These were nights where a restaurant was more than 20 miles away, it was raining and dark and remote so we chose to eat our meals.

On a GSA, you don't need gas. We each brought 2 gallons with us. never needed them. our F850 friends each used a 1L fuel canister on the TL highway. We never touched ours.
  4. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adam, thanks for the report. Heading that way from South Dakota right after the Sturgis Rally is over, one of my fellow riders works the event. Leaving here Aug 16th, home before the end of September. Prepared to camp but intending to Motel it when we can. At 68 the ground loses its attraction.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  5. jowul

jowul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Adam, I just came across your Labrador trip report today and enjoyed the narrative very much. I did that trip solo on my F800GSA in 2016 and had a couple of "come to Jesus moments" north of Manic V riding through fresh berms left behind by a grader and riding through talcum powder stuff in the area where you meander around the railroad tracks close to Fermont. The ball bearing type gravel between Happy Valley - Goose Bay and Port Hope Simpson was often white knuckle type riding but I can't report any crashes. I am surprised you did not include a visit to the "iconic national park Gros Morne" and do the boat ride on the land locked fjord.
    [​IMG] comp_DSC06950_HDR.jpg
    Another great place I found was at Rose Blanche, east of Port aux Basque where I stayed for the night at a B+B, the former house of the light house keeper. The Rose Blanche light house was renovated and is owned by the community.
    comp_DSC07144_HDR_ji.jpg

comp_DSC07129_ji-2-2.jpg

I fully agree with you about the selection of photographic equipment. Smart phones still make crappy photos no matter what people say. I use a very compact Sony A6600 mirrorless and always carry a couple of lenses covering from 10mm to 300mm.
    Meat Cove is actually a pleasant place to camp and finish or start the day with a very good clam chowder. During my trip I only had a bit of rain once I crossed the French Mountains on the Cabot trail. Thank you for sharing the trip and of course I am late to the party. In NL I did a stretch of the trail you described. Diefenbaker, a former PM of Canada ordered the railroads in Newfoundland to be removed (not sure why) and so now you have all these rail-to-trails used mostly by hunters on atvs. I went on a few, very rutted and you have no chance of getting out of the ruts when an atv comes at you blasting around a bend. Actually mi avatar shows the stretch of road where you probably had your first crash.
  6. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like I just need to do the trip again! Thanks for sharing the photos and tips!
    bb82bird and jowul like this.
  7. jowul

jowul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, if you want to go again give me a shout and I join you. No rushing with me. It takes me as long to get going in the morning as what you described :lol3.
    These photos probably bring back memories?
    comp_DSC06858_HDR.jpg

comp_DSC06869_ji.jpg
  8. russ4ru

russ4ru All Time n00b.

Oddometer:
    Im planning my 10 day trip To Newfoundland and HUmeeting for two nights in August!! let me know if you will going there around this time man!! Should be a really good time for sure!!:freaky
  9. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Nice report ... thanks
    AdamChandler likes this.
  10. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent RR, thanks.

Fellow camera guy here with a humble suggestion.
    Hello compromise.
    I lightened up by leaving the DSLR at home and instead packed a much smaller and lighter top self all in one super zoom in the tank bag, with a polarizer and glare shield of course. There are many options in this variety of camera, but almost all don't go wider than 28mm equivalent which is a deal breaker for me unless you are painting a scene using photoshop to stitch it all together. The Sony RX10 iv goes as wide as 24mm equivalent and takes very good scenics, not quite full frame DSLR good but very close, and more than good enough for many uses. The really long tele and excellent stabilization get good wildlife photos without disturbing the subject. It’s almost completely silent and also kinda weather resistant. Not good for fast moving wildlife or sports, in fact suck at this compared to what the pros are using.
    Some downsized and compressed examples are attached. The full size files are sharp and bright. The caribou shot was hindered by wildfire smoke. I was at least 80m away, maybe 120m, which allowed for more natural behavior by the caribou, and hand held.

BTW, this photog snob finds the current generation top of the line Apple and Samsung cell phones take very nice snapshots, really quite impressive. For sure some are being sold for $$ .

Attached Files:

AdamChandler likes this.
  11. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'll be at the HU event as well
    brian
    AdamChandler and russ4ru like this.
  12. russ4ru

russ4ru All Time n00b.

Oddometer:
    Nice, will see you there Brian!
    Candubrain and AdamChandler like this.
  13. RJ44

RJ44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed the photos and the write up for this trip. Thanks for sharing.

Rob
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. Jimmy C

Jimmy C Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be heading out on the Trans-Lab in July, I am taking a more circuitous route -- through New Liskeard, Ontario into Western Quebec along road 113, up to a B&B called Cottage River (near Chibougamau), then down road 167 through Saguenay and on to Baie-Comeau to pick up 389 -- my long-winded point is that my goal is getting out a ride report on the road conditions from early-July. I should be departing Baie-Comeau Monday July 6, and getting into Blanc-Sablon by Friday July 10. If any seemingly important info comes my way re: construction, etc., I will get it out in advance of your ride.
    CavReconSGT and AdamChandler like this.