My last Home Depot order...

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by GravelRider, Jul 10, 2020.

1. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow am I frustrated with Home Depot! About a month ago I ordered a 55 gallon auxiliary water tank online at homedepot.com to use on our upcoming RV trip to keep us topped off on water in dry camping spots. It was supposed to arrive in a week. A couple of weeks went by and shipping wasn't updated. I called and 45 minutes later had an answer. Supposedly it was shipped, but was missing in transit. However, they said that is their best guess. They couldn't track it, had no record of any movement of the package, and couldn't even verify that they shipped it! They told me that I wouldn't be getting that one and that I need to cancel and reorder. I asked if they could just send me out another one, but they said they couldn't. So, I canceled that order and then placed the same order again.

Again, the same thing happened. The package was supposed to arrive yesterday, but shipping information was never updated. I called them yesterday, and they couldn't tell me whether it had shipped, was out of stock, was waiting to be shipped... Nothing. They suggested that I wait and see if it is delivered. As I suspected, it wasn't delivered yesterday. I got an email today that said it would be delayed 3-4 weeks. Given that I am leaving on my trip in less than two weeks, I called to cancel the order. They told me that I can't cancel the order because it'll be shipped through a third party. They said my only choice was to refuse delivery when it comes (UPS just drops it off, and always while we're at work, and thus unable to refuse it) or to return it in person to my nearest store after I receive it.

I was flabbergasted at this response. In what world am I unable to cancel an order that is running late and won't ship for 3-4 weeks?!? I called my credit card company to just cancel the order and be done with it, and I found out that I haven't been charged yet, and my CC is unable to cancel/refuse future charges.
    I called Home Depot back, and they reiterated that I can't cancel my order and have to just wait for it to ship. I won't be able to stop them from charging my card and shipping it to me. Then I'll have another headache to deal with, and the nearest Home Depot to me is 45 minutes away, so if I do get it and need to return it, it's not just right down the street.

Oh, and I also found out from my credit card company that my refund was just credited today, nearly two weeks after I canceled my last order.

I've now spent several hours in total on the phone dealing with this, will undoubtedly spend a couple hours in total returning the damn thing once it arrives, and will have to wait in limbo before I can even do anything further with this, which will certainly be another time-consuming nightmare.

This will be the last Home Depot purchase I ever make. I understand that shipping delays happen, especially during the current pandemic.... However, the customer service has just been dreadful.
    dlrides and Tmaximusv like this.
  2. learned my lesson

learned my lesson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "low prices are just the beginning"

home depot sucks the wazoo
  3. crawdad

crawdad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Call your cc company ask them to close your current account immediately and issue a new card. If you think they’ll give you push back for issuing a new card for no reason call and report it lost and request immediate cancellation.
  4. nofendertom

nofendertom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can also put Amazon and Harbor Freight on the list also.
    1greenmachine likes this.
  5. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    I thought about doing that, but I have so many accounts tied to that card number that I figured that would be more work than just dealing with this charge when it comes.
  6. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In my experience, every online retailer doing third party sales is going to be a PITA whether it is Amazon, Walmart or Home Depot. As much as I detest Amazon for their unbelievably bad delivery record to my house, they are about the best with third party sales.

At least when my Amazon order inevitably disappears in transit, it is still a two week wait but I know a refund is coming. Walmart is infinitely more reliable to my house. But I never want to have another third party issue there. They made me go direct to the third party retailer.
  7. Liko

Liko Noncommittal at best

Oddometer:
    ...... aaaaand who is going to be different?

We're a global economy and more and more of our goods are coming from somewhere over there. This is the new normal.
    Mumbles24, Houstrom46 and Dan Diego like this.
  8. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    1) Watch you CC charges. 2) When it is charged, cancel/dispute it. 3) It never arrived at your house, you don't care what tracking shows you never saw it or received it. :dunno
    I'm not out to F' someone every chance I get, but if I'm dealing with a dick, I deal like a dick.
    You tried to deal with their bad service, good on you. They are now making you work for them, so they break even and get back their product and you get nothing. That's wrong. FORGETABOUTIT, one call to the CC company and wash your hands of it.
  9. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^This^^^

You can boycott every online and brick and mortar company until you’re crocheting your own socks.

There will be occasional disappointments everywhere. It’s just a sad fact. Get used to disappointment...just rant and move on.
  10. learned my lesson

Oddometer:
    i've been an amazon member since 2009 and love it. never had a problem which could not be resolved with a 'call-me' phone call and most are just 'chat sessions' to resolution. about 95% of what i buy are at the lowest price available, and the sheer variety of having 'everything & more' makes up for the remaining 5%. with cash back rewards from the chase/ amazon visa - a nickel on a dollar for most stuff - i save enough to pay my monthly electric bill (42$).
    Ghoti and Dan Diego like this.
  11. gweaver

gweaver NorCal is Best Cal! Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    If you can get UPS to give you email updates you can have a better idea regarding when it will actually be delivered and then leave a note where the driver normally drops parcels to tell him you don’t want it
  13. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    It just shipped and my card was charged. I disputed the charge through my CC, who immediately issued me a refund. It's on its way to my house now. Hopefully it never makes it here. If it does, I'm refusing to lift a finger getting it back to them.
    RedRocket and sieg like this.
  14. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    I've bought a lot of third party things. Occasionally I'll have issues, but never been unable to cancel an order that was delayed. I'm not upset with HD that my item was late. I'm upset that I couldn't cancel an order. Third party or not, that's unacceptable.
    sieg likes this.
  15. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since we're bellyaching about Home Depot... the thing I don't like about them is that they advertise a 10% veterans discount, but there are significant limitations. Basically, you can only get their discount if you have a retiree or VA ID. I'm one of the 83% of veterans who didn't serve long enough to retire (usually 20 years), nor do I have a service-related disability so I don't use the VA. I have a Veteran endorsement on my drivers license which required showing my DD-214 to the DMV, but this isn't good enough for Home Depot. It's probably safe to say that about half of all honorably discharged veterans are in my same position.

I know this is a minor gripe, and obviously no business is obligated to give this discount. But I get 10% off at Lowes every day, so that's where I shop. Countless other businesses, museums, and whatnot offer veteran discounts and all they want to see is my drivers license. Only Home Depot is so picky.

cloud.jpg
    valvecrusher likes this.
  16. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you know who the shipper is, possibly call them directly to stop it in-transit?

If that doesn't work, and you're not home to refuse delivery, put up a sign including the appropriate reference number, refusing acceptance.

May not work, but maybe it will. And while you said you won't lift a finger to return the thing, I still think it'd be more of a headache to deal with it after arrival than before it's set down.
  17. macuaig

macuaig Hung Up the Spurs

Oddometer:
    I’ve successfully refused delivery before it arrived by calling UPS directly. They put a note in the system to the driver, though I wouldn’t trust them to behave consistently about anything. If you still want it when you get back, you can sometimes ask them to hold it at the UPS depot. Maybe ask UPS to reroute it to a Home Depot, and tell the store to hold it?

If all else fails since you’re out of town, I think you can request that UPS change it to “Signature Required”, and then let them try three times and return it. But I’ve noticed Fedex here has started dropping things and listing “Signature: On File”, which makes no damn logic that I can see. Nothing consistent about any of them, it’s really a free for all these days. But it sounds like UPS are the only ones who haven’t screwed you yet.
  18. Houstrom46

Houstrom46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a similar experience with HD a few years ago. They had a special running where if you purchased a certain model Dewalt Miter saw, you get a free Dewalt collapsible stand. This was online only, so I placed my order and the saw came in about a week later. Cool. I go in to pick it up, and no stand. It was MIA and presumably either lost in transit or not shipped at all. There were a few of this same model stand in the store, but they could not supply me with one because the online business is separate from the brick & mortar operation. To the customer, HD is HD, regardless of how the books are split. The stand eventually made it a few days later, but it still cost me an unplanned lunch hour for a second trip to pick up the saw/stand when the last piece finally made it in. That's the last online order I've placed with them.
  19. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    One hitch for me and no disability so the same applies, but I got a VA ID card when they relaxed the eligibility requirements back about the turn of the century. I signed up locally and had a few medical visits but had to give it up later in order for my wife to qualify for the Affordable Care Act, which was very strict about applicants and dependents having no other access to care. I did not feel bad about surrendering VA medical bennies since there are so many more who need that attention more than I do.

I have the Lowe's discount but have not investigated the HoDepot discount.

Just checked my driver's license and, as I thought, we have no Veteran notation in this state.
  20. learned my lesson

Oddometer:
    i won't shop at HD because they give certain groups a discount but i need to pay full price. that means what i buy is marked up not only to cover theft & pilferage, and also a discount given other groups. fuck that shit.
    sieg likes this.