My Lien Holder Won't Let Me Ride In Mexico

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tama's Tigre, Nov 8, 2007.

1. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    i've never had MX insurance.... just don't F up stupid.

oh yeah, i'm with the guy above, fake it. I have a freind that's doctored titles and reg's just to cross the border. It's just too easy down there. as long as the bike isn't stolen AND the report hasn't made it to them, then you're ok. that sounds incriminating, but as far as that goes, I don't steal bikes. I'll just put that out there so there's no confusion.

we've had to take some vehicles down there, like a boat where the trailer didn't have a reg on hand, and another guy who came from canada, and forgot his reg for proof, so my friend photoshop'd a reg from another and just changed the #'s. it's just that easy down there. and if they give you a hard time, a 10 or 20 usually does the trick.
  2. Teeds

Teeds Don Quixote

Oddometer:
    We did all our paperwork on-line when we went to Mexico in January.

Although my bike has a clear Texas title, no one ask me for any documentation other than the permit that we received via FedEx. I don't THINK anyone in Mexico would know the difference between a pink and blue title. I don't think any of the "officials" we encountered read any English. I left my title in my truck in Presidio and carried only a photocopy.

I will email a buddy in Austin about the name of the company we used. I can't find it in any of my emails about the trip. :baldy
  3. IronDawg

IronDawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    www.mexpro.com

I also suggest getting your vehicle permit online thru banjercito. It costs a little extra but it's fedex'd to you. You don't need to show any papers.

The banjercito site is a little complicated especially if you don't read spanish. Send me a PM and I'll help ya out.
  4. Teeds

Teeds Don Quixote

Oddometer:
    Thank you SIR!
  5. Tama's Tigre

Tama's Tigre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you my friend, you were right! I tried to get insurance online through mexpro and drivemex, but could not get collision and theft, but through http://www.sanbornsinsurance.com/ , I got my full coverage Mexican insurance policy :clap

All they asked for was my DL, US insurance, and title/registration info... no faking, no permission letter, no fraud, no problem!

Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions :deal :rofl :freaky
  6. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Sucks all the fun out of it, doesn't it? :D
  7. Tama's Tigre

Oddometer:
    Unlike your name-sake, why don't you and your jalapenos, come and join us in old Mejico :freaky
  8. srileo

srileo dot Indian snakecharmer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey all,
    am getting ready for my trip and i found out that my leinholder is willing to send me a letter of permission to take the bike to mexico. However i am wondering if i should ask them for that letter in Spanish?
    Or should i carry around a spanish translation of the english letter of permission?
  9. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    I've never used one, but think anything official looking written in english would suffice.

Really, just use your bike's registration, keeping the letter in-hold.
  10. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    VR and I will be heading down that way in a few weeks, but have no certain departure date at this time.

You'll have a blast.
  11. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tangential to the discussion, but I think a better way of looking at it is that you can't afford to insure anything that you can stand to lose.

Insurance is a service that makes a profit to the insurer. By design then, they pay out much less in claims than they take in on premiums. This means it is almost always a poor "value" to the insured. If you can stand the loss (i.e., no great hardship befalls you if the bike is stolen, wrecked, etc. - you can absorb the hit without losing your job or causing economic hardship to your family), then you're going to be money ahead if you don't carry the insurance.

The vast majority of motorcycles are strictly recreational vehicles to their owners and/or they have money in the bank to replace them if they were to suffer their loss. Thus, I've never understood why so many people carry such high levels of comprehensive and collision insurance on vehicles that are mainly recreational toys.

Of course, if you finance and use the vehicle as collateral, then you have no choice - the finance company wants their interest protected. As already said, another reason to never finance, especially for a vehicle that is used for recreation.

- Mark
  12. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    If you're really adverse to risk, take a tour.
    I've heard the nicer buses show movies. You don't even have to watch the scenery go back, or feel a part of where you are. Damn convenient, and safe, too.
  13. Tama's Tigre

Oddometer:
    The main thing I'm concerned with is liability. Unfortunately, in our litigious society (until there's some meaningful tort reform), frivolous lawsuits are a fact of life. Its people's greed, disregard for our fellow man, and FUCKING LITIGATION ATTORNIES!

I'm in business for myself, and have been sued twice (and will be sued again). The first time, when I was insured, I paid nothing. The insurance company paid out a half mil. The second time, without the venture insured, I paid out over a half mil in legal fees. I think I'll take the insurance.

Besides, I only paid $100 for my Mexican full coverage insurance. If my bike is stolen, or I kill someone and the Oficiales want to put me in a Mexican jail, I think I'm getting off cheep being (properly) insured.

Don't listen to people that try to give you irresponsible advice. Being responsible does not make you any less adventurous... just prudent. :deal :1drink

PS: Lone Rider, we may hook up in ol' Mejico, and you'll have to explain your last comment. Oh I get it, but bro, please don't taze (insult) me.
  14. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey relax. As per my post, I was talking about collision and comprehensive, not liability insurance. Yes, liability insurance is generally always a good idea because the risk of a catastrophic loss due to a liabilty for medical expenses or loss of life is a real danger that most of us can't self-insure against. And besides, liabilty insurance is typically required by law.

This discussion was about the insurance the finance company is requiring on the value of the motorcycle and has nothing to do with liability. They want the motorcycle insured so that they're collateral is protected.

- Mark
  15. Tama's Tigre

Oddometer:
    Mark,

Like I said, I only paid $100 for the Mexican insurance, and that includes $10k for the value of my motorcycle. Lienholder or not, I think that's cheap insurance for my collateral to be covered. You may consider a $10k motorcycle as disposable, but not the majority of us. But thanks for the input anyway. :wink:
  16. ezrydr

ezrydr Dead Man Riding

Oddometer:
    Don't even think about riding in Mexico without liability coverage. It's not just a matter of money, or the value of the bike. Theoretically it's not required, but as my old man used to say, a man has nipples because theoretically he might have a baby.

If you're in any kind of collision or crash, you have to produce either proof of liability coverage or money to cover the damages. (And they can get very creative about assessing those "damages.") And if you can't come up with either, under Mexican law they can put your ass in JAIL - which, down there, is not an experience you will enjoy - until you do. Or until the matter is settled in court, and guess what your chances are as a gringo bike rider.

And this is no matter whose fault it is. In fact you can even get in trouble over a solo crash; people have gotten assessed for "damage to the roadway", I'm not making that up.

I always just left the bike somewhere safe on the US side, walked across the bridge, and asked somebody at the Mexican border station, "Puede usted decirme donde puedo comprar seguros Mexicanos?" Sure enough, there was always an agent of some kind hanging around. Quite reasonable prices, too.

I've never had a Mexican cop want to see my title (and I did quite a lot of riding in Mexico in years past) but I've had them demand to see my vehicle registration. And the US border people always wanted to see it, so I wouldn't go without it.

I found, though, that the most useful paperwork to carry in Mexico is the oblong kind with numbers and pictures on it. Really, Mexican cops can be very reasonable - especially in price.
  17. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    They just run your plate now a days.
  18. Tama's Tigre

Oddometer:
    Very good advice, and very well said :freaky
  19. degrees23

degrees23 the fzr is mine

Oddometer:
    OK so what I've learned here is if I can get a permission letter and a copy of the title great, but I don't really need them. My leinholder (public service credit union :asshat) wants 12 months of past payments and will MAYBE allow me to deposit the remaining amount ($1600) in my savings account at their bank. I just found all of this out and we are leaving in a few days so no time to refi. Hopefully Colorado will give me a copy of the title, and I can just make up a fake permission letter, or should I just go and plan on handing over a couple of bucks at the border. We are crossing at El Paso TX and going to Guatemala.
  20. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    You don't have to have their permission to get the bike into Mexico. All you need is your registration receipt (original) in your name plus the other usual docs (passport, credit card, DL).