My Lien Holder Won't Let Me Ride In Mexico

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tama's Tigre, Nov 8, 2007.

  1. Quetzal

    Quetzal Guatemalan Import

    Aug 5, 2003
    Guatemala City
    Of all the times I've crossed into Mexico from the USA, they have never asked for said letter from the lien holder nor has the insurance company.
  2. Springs

    Springs Shipping Wars

    Nov 4, 2006
    Lynnwood, Washington
    before my recent trip last month to Baja. Never needed anything other than my pasport to back back into the states. Bought a visa going into south Baja for about $25 USD and thats was the only time anyone asked for anything anywhere! So you might not even need it most likely!
  3. Tama's Tigre

    Tama's Tigre Been here awhile

    Jul 18, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Don't worry dude (like I did). The permission letter is only for the Mexican Insurance company, which many do require. However, I finally found a reputable company that will provide you with full coverage Mexican insurance with only the title/registration information, your driver's license, and your American insurance. No title docs, no registration, No damned asshat lienholder permission :deal :lol3

    For the Sanborn's agent in Brownsville that I used, go to:

    or look for your own agent at:

    Have fun :clap :freaky
  4. Motomochila

    Motomochila Moto Scientist and time traveler

    Sep 30, 2007
    N 34 22.573' W 118 34.328'
    Amigo... you can take your bike south of ze border. you can write your own permission slip and get it notorized. just copy the vin number to a letter with a copied logo from your lien holder and give yourself permission. " From: I give so and so permission to take the vehicle with vin number into mexico for a period of xx days or months for the purpose of traveling on a vacationn"
    singed "your girlfriends name" "customer service representative" NO Company Name here. your girlfriend or secretary is the customer service rep. you only need to get the document notorized that she was the one signing the document.:jose The permission slip is to travel into mainland mexico with a motorized vehicle so that the mexican government knows you are bringing it into their country. It will be checked throughout your stay at every govt road stop. Usually a sticker with paperwork to prove permit status. DO NOT, I repeat...DO NOT forget to return the permit upon returning to the US. If you don't stop at the mexican side to let them see that you are taking your bike home to the US, they will assume you sold it in mexico. A big NO-NO unless you got an import permit. You don't want this. From a gringo that knows works fine. If it don't.....haul ass it's more of an adventure that way.
  5. eakins

    eakins Butler Maps

    May 29, 2002
    Fort Collins, Colorado
  6. dlearl476

    dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum Supporter

    Oct 5, 2005
    Happy Valley, USA
    I have to weigh in on ezrydr's side on this one. It's not that difficult to do it right. Why fuck around?

    Sure, the only problem is that whether your paperwork is bona fide or fake doesn't matter when they TAKE your money, they could give a shit. What matters is when THEY're asked to cough up. Then your fake paperwork is going to be, shall we say, problematic.

    All it take is for one person at the insurance agency, IF anything goes wrong, to blow the whistle.

    And what do you think a Notary is going to say when your girlfriend waltzes in with a doc with a ZZZ Financial or Joe's Really Good Credit Union letterhead and asked to get it notorized? Ever wonder why most financial institutions have notories in house?

    Like I said before, it's easy enough to do it right, why fuck around. That way if anything does go south, it ain't gonna take a Mexican lawyer with a stack of hundreds to get your ass out of a Mexican jail, to say nothing of ever seeing your bike again.

    One more tip: Go to a AAA office and get an international driver's license. Better yet, get two and stash one. If you're ever asked for one, you have a sort-of "disposable" driver's license.
    Oh yeah, don't forget to turn in your "Tourista" sticker when you leave. Unless you plan to return before it expires.
  7. degrees23

    degrees23 the fzr is mine

    Sep 7, 2007
    Alaska summer 07-Guatemala winter 07
    Well we just got back last week from our Mexico ride, here is the scoop. We went to sandborns in El Paso Tx, they asked if the bikes were paid for, my brother's is mine is not, we both told them yes and no problem with the insurance. After we were done I made up a story about a buddy of ours not being able to get in to Mexico (bike not paid for, leinholder said no) and she said if they weren't paid for she wouldn't even sell us insurance. So just one little white lie and you are good to go, if the bike is stolen or crashed they just pay you and you pay off your loan. Also nobody at the border or any checkpoints asked for insurance or a title. All that you need is your registration to get your bike permit (about $30) and you need your temporary visa that they give you the paperwork for at the border, but you pay for it at any bank before you leave Mexico. I will be posting a ride report soon.