My Longest Dance with Salsa

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by SalsaRider, Oct 20, 2018.

1. SalsaRider

SalsaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tierra del Fuego — LIKE EXCITED HORNETS

Planeta Rica, Colombia
    28 November 2018
    Miles: 1,586

No photos, sorry. Just some observations to share.

Today, at long last, Salsa and I have started our longest dance south, riding for 213 miles out of Cartagena. We’re now in rolling foothills. Cattle country, with vast ranges lining the roads, and interesting “caution, crossing” signs: for cattle, horses, ant eaters, sloths, monkeys, and crocodiles!

Tethered alongside the roads: burros, horses, and goats. Wandering beside them: chickens, dogs and cats, and people. Many homes and shops are a mere 10 feet from the edge of the highway.

In the pueblos and on the highway, motorcyclists swarm about like excited hornets, darting in and out of the traffic regardless of the “rules of the road.” Double yellow, no crossing lines? Don’t apply to these riders! A long line of stopped traffic ahead? Just ride past them, in the oncoming lane.

Soon enough, I must confess, I was doing exactly that, too! In particular, working my way to the front of a mile+ long line of stalled vehicles, stopped due to an accident.

My hotel room for tonight cost me 40,000 pesos, or about $13. It has the essentials: a nice clean private room, a shower, a toilet with a seat, air conditioning, a TV, WiFi, and a secure place to park Salsa.

What more do I need?

And I must add: Salsa seems to be enjoying this longest dance! Already she has figured out the rhythm of the road.

And already she’s feeling excited, like a hornet!
    Aces 6, joenuclear and Chabochi like this.
  2. joenuclear

joenuclear Long timer

Oddometer:
    Top of the Ouchitas, bottom of the Ozarks.
    Thanks, I'm enjoying your RR.
    SalsaRider likes this.
  3. SalsaRider

Oddometer:
    ADVriders — Post 21

Tierra del Fuego — Hard to Believe

Medellin, Colombia
    30 November 2018
    Miles: 1,791

Hard to believe, but today marks my first full month on the road.

Yesterday my path took me high into the mountains on twisting roads packed with slow-moving trucks, frequent road repairs causing delays, and sneaky potholes and bumps. Herds of cattle grazed in the verdant fields, tall trees lined the way, offering shade at times. And buzzing about were those pesky motorcyclists, darting around me and other vehicles with impunity and abandon, even on blind curves.

A hot day, I took a few breaks to cool down, chatting with the locals. At a truck stop young men gathered around Salsa, asking questions. I had them pose for a group photo.

Around one bend I stopped at a beautiful religious shrine, perched next to a cascading waterfall.

Going up my ears popped, and the same later, when descending. Up inside the clouds a light fog and drizzle cooled things down, almost to the point of breaking out some warmer gear, but not quite.

Today, instead of visiting Medellin, I’m going to keep rolling south. I’m facing a long ride, and can’t see and experience everything.

And as I said before, it’s hard to believe that I’ve been on the road for a full month!
    Aces 6, roadcapDen and joenuclear like this.
  4. SalsaRider

Oddometer:
    Tierra del Fuego — TAIL OF THE DRAGON’S TWIN SISTER

Pasto, Colombia
    2 December 2018
    Miles: 2,320

In Tennessee there’s a road called “The Tail of the Dragon”, with over 300 twists and curves in just a few miles. In Colombia there’s Routa 25 (the Pan American Highway), with enough twists and curves it might as well be called the Dragon’s Twin.

Boulders line its sides or block the road, having tumbled there from steep cliffs above. Once traffic was blocked by an overturned truck, lying on its side. Not too surprising to me, considering how aggressive they drive.

Years ago a fellow rider said he always checked-out the wear an tear of tires on other’s bikes, to see what kind of riders they were. Wear just down the middle? A freeway rider. Worn on the sides? They liked curvy roads.

Salsa started this longest dance with new shoes (tires). Already, after just 3,000+ miles, they’re worn well up on the sides!

After all, we’ve been dancing hard . . . On the Dragon’s Twin Sister!

Attached Files:

joenuclear and Chabochi like this.
  5. SalsaRider

Oddometer:
    Tierra del Fuego — THERE’S NO “BAH HUMBUG” IN PASTO

Pasto, Colombia
    3 December 2018
    Miles: 2,320

According to Luis, the night clerk at Hotel San Blas, Pasto is a very religious city. The hotel was one block from the Church of San Felipe, and the Church of Santiago was just three blocks away. Every hour on the half hour a bell sounds, echoing across the valley with authority.

I had dinner in the park facing the Church of Santiago. Vendors beneath covered stalls offered grilled kabobs, corn, arepas, patacons, empanadas, dulce de papas, dulce de Breda, dulce de chialacuna, and other delicacies.

On display, too, was an impressive arrangement of Christmas icons: elves, reindeer pulling sleds, children frolicking in the snow, and so on. Families strolled about the park, munching on the food and posing before the Feliz Navidad sign.

It was a peaceful and friendly gathering of the people of Pasto. Although still weeks away, the Christmas spirit was alive and well. No “Bah Humbug” sentiment here!

Attached Files:

6. SalsaRider

Oddometer:
    Tierra del Fuego — NEW AND ANCIENT ART
    Ipiales, Colombia
    Miles: 2,377

Inside Hotel San Blass, in Pasto, Colombia, you’ll find some exciting pieces of art. Displayed on the walls or in niches are modern paintings and ancient pieces of pottery.

Here are a few that caught my eye:

Attached Files:

7. SalsaRider

Oddometer:
    Tierra del Fuego — CHECK, CHECK, and CHECK

Tulcan, Ecuador
    4 December 2018.
    Miles: 2,386

Miles ridden? Nine. Accomplishments? Huge!

Check #1: LAS LAJAS. Located in Colombia, near Ipiales, it’s an incredible church built over a wild river far below, with cascading falls spilling over the mountains from far above. It was a long walk down from the parking lot (and one walk back up), but well worth the effort.

http://santuariolavirgendelaslajas.com/index.html

See some photos below.

Check #2: The BORDER CROSSING into Ecuador. A 2 1/2 hour affair. Hundreds of Venezuelans queued-up to get into Ecuador, with me joining them. Tensions ran high, at times.

Finally it was my turn; only to learn that I had never “officially” left Colombia. Back I went, over a bridge, to get the essential exit stamp; only to face another long line.

“How old are you” one agent asked? I told him (68), and he directed me to a line with only one person. Minutes later I had officially exited from Colombia. Sometimes it pays to be old!

Back across the bridge to the front of the line, and the essential “entering Ecuador” stamp.

Getting Salsa approved was another matter, though. I was incorrectly directed to two separate desks, until finally I was led to the proper one. A few minutes later and we were on our way to Tolcan, Ecuador.

Check #3: THE MUNICIPAL CEMETERY of Tolcan. When it comes to honoring the departed, Tolcan is right up there with the world’s best. Beautiful topiaries cover the grounds in fantastical and whimsical shapes: imaginary creatures, abstract forms and symbolic depictions. Giant arches that seem to both protect and welcome you into the next section. It was remarkably beautiful!

http://santuariolavirgendelaslajas.com/index.html

See some photos below.

Even though we barely covered any miles, we accomplished a lot.

Check, check, and check!

Attached Files:

8. joenuclear

joenuclear Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. joenuclear

joenuclear Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pics?
  10. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

CONSECRATION OF THE HOME TO OUR LADY OF LAS LAJAS

(To pray it once a month)

Most Holy Lady of Las Lajas who has been constituted as

Help Christians and bless and protect the houses where they are

exposed and your sacred image is honored: We choose you today forever

lady and owner of this house and we ask you to show yourself in it

your powerful help, preserving it (it) from diseases, fire, from

lightning, floods, earthquakes, thieves, discord

and the dangers of war. Bless and protect the people who live here

and grant them peace, a great faith, true love for God and neighbor, patience

in sorrows, hope in eternal life, congratulations in work, employment

and study, and the grace to avoid bad examples, vice, sin,

eternal damnation and all other misfortunes and accidents

Oh Lady without sin conceived

pray for us that

we turn to you
  11. SalsaRider

Oddometer:
    And some photos of the cemetery in Tolcan:

Attached Files:

12. joenuclear

joenuclear Long timer

Oddometer:
    Posts numbers 46 and 51 have no pictures that I can see.
  13. SalsaRider

Oddometer:
    Tierra del Fuego — SALSA IS IN MOTO HELL

Quito, Ecuador
    6 December 2018
    Miles: Unknown

Today I checked Salsa into Moto Hell. A devilishly good-looking redhead, named Michele, helped me do it. After all, she was the only one there who spoke English.

Hours earlier Salsa’s battery died, a mere block from where I planned to stay: Casa Helbling. Out came the Halo Bolt battery charger to get her started. Then after checking into the Casa Helbling, off we went to Moto Hell, for the charging issue (and others) to be addressed.

Tomorrow is a holiday here in Quito — celebrating the day of liberation from Spanish rule — and work won’t recommence until Monday. Looks like I’ll be stuck here for a few more days.

Already though, in Casa Helbling, I’ve met a Canadian rider who is also heading to Ushuaia by motorcycle, and two German gals doing the same, by bus. And at Moto Hell I met a young fellow from North Carolina, also riding solo by motorcycle, clear to Tierra del Fuego. And all of us seem to be on the same time table!

It won’t surprise me to meet other travelers as well, all moving like lemmings toward the Land of Fire, hypnotized by the romance, the excitement, the adventure of exploring South America!

And in case you’re wondering, I’m the “Grandpa” of them all!

Salsa is in Moto Hell. Together we’re having a helluvan interesting/challenging time?

Thanks. Try now.

Attached Files:

95Monster, roadcapDen and joenuclear like this.
  14. SalsaRider

Oddometer:
    Tierra del Fuego — OLD TOWN QUITO

Quito, Ecuador
    7 December 2018

El Panecillo is an imposing hill overlooking the old section of Quito. Before the Spaniards arrived, it was there that the Incas built a temple to the sun.

Now, standing nearly 100 feet tall and nearly 2 miles above sea level, is the winged Virgin de El Panecillo. A small fee lets you climb inside, and view both the old town and much of modern Quito.

Below, in the old town, stands the 17th Century chapel: La Iglesia de El Sagrario. It’s beautiful and large church, with tall stained glass windows on both sides, and immense stone pillars giving it support. Inside, the sense of reverence is overwhelming.

Some photos:

Attached Files:

holckster and joenuclear like this.
  15. SalsaRider

Oddometer:
    Some more photos of La Iglesia de El Sagrario, in old town Quito, ECUADOR:

Attached Files:

joenuclear likes this.
  16. SalsaRider

Oddometer:
    Tierra del Fuego — THE TUNNEL

Quito, Ecuador
    8 December 2018

Throughout this ride there have been moments when I felt “tested”, as if to see how I would cope. Some examples:
    • Facing the long delay getting Salsa out of the port in Cartagena, Colombia, due to difficulties getting the required SOAT (insurance);
    • Arriving at the port 10 minutes after they had closed for the day, and being told to return in the morning to try again;
    • Getting lost, a frequent experience when navigating through the cities with poorly-marked streets;
    • Enduring rain and darkness, with still miles to go before finding shelter;
    • And so on.
    Most of the time I can chalk-up such “tests” as just part of the travel adventure, smile to myself, and get through them. And typically afterwards, something nice or good will happen, as if to reward me for passing the “test”.

Then I faced THE TUNNEL!

In the afternoon one day Salsa’s battery died. Another rider recommended the Moto Hell shop for repairs. So after jump-starting her with my Halo Bolt battery charger, off we rode to find the shop. It was on a side street near a round-about, and rush hour traffic was thick.

I spotted it too late on my first round, and moved over into what I thought was the proper lane to exit and get to the shop.

It wasn’t!

We were forced into a long and congested tunnel instead. Nearly a mile long, we faced a dark, noisy, fume-filled, stop-n-go traffic ride to the other side. I’m guessing it took us nearly half an hour to get through, with no chance to turn around until well past the exit on the other side.

Another “test” I told myself. Just stay calm. It’s all part of the travel adventure.

Then the noise, the darkness, the fumes, the stop-n-go delays, and the real fear (and danger) that Salsa’s engine might stall and I would have to park her, unload the Halo Bolt charger, and get her re-started right in the midst of the congestion and frustration of drivers eager to get home, got to me.

“Fuck, fuck, fuck,” I shouted!

Somehow we got to the other side without incident. Then, breaking the “rules of the road”, I made a quick U-turn at the first opportunity, returned back through THE TUNNEL, and made it to the Moto Hell shop safely.

Salsa has been in Moto Hell since Thursday afternoon. Since it’s an extended holiday weekend here, no work will be done until Monday. If special parts must be ordered from the States, that will mean anther delay. All part of the travel adventure, I can philosophize to myself. Just stay calm, smile, and make the most of being stuck in Quito for a bit longer than planned.

I can deal with such “tests”; but sure hope I won’t have to face another TUNNEL for the rest of this ride.

Once was enough!
    powderzone, 95Monster and joenuclear like this.
  17. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Like your writing style, crisp and entertaining.
    Best of luck on the rest of the ride...BTW, quite a few of your photos not posting.
    No big deal as your story telling style makes up for no visual candy.
    SalsaRider likes this.
  18. SalsaRider

Oddometer:
    Aces 6,

Thanks, and sorry about the photos not posting. The site only seems to allow 4 at a time, so I’m starting to limit them to just that. Still on a learning curve, I guess?
    Aces 6 likes this.
  19. SalsaRider

Oddometer:
    Tierra del Fuego — GUAYASAMIN MUSEUM

Quito, Ecuador
    8 December 2018
    Miles: unknown

Guayasamin was a renowned artist world-wide, and a collector, from Ecuador. Before his death he gathered his family, and they all agreed to donate his house, collections, and artwork to the country of Ecuador.

A visit to this museum is well worth your time. There you’ll find Pre-Colombian artifacts, Colonial art, and modern art; most displayed throughout his house.

www.guayasamin.org

Some photos:

Attached Files:

joenuclear likes this.
  20. SalsaRider

Oddometer:
    Tierra del Fuego — ONE FOOT NORTH, AND ONE FOOT SOUTH

Quito, Ecuador
    8 December 2018
    Miles: unknown

Today I stood with one foot in the Northern, and one foot in the Southern Hemispheres, straddling the equator.

I flushed two toilets, a mere foot apart, and watched as one swirled clockwise, and the other counter-clockwise. Amazing!

This landmark — Mitad del Mundo (Middle of the earth) — is a few miles north of Quito. To get there I took a city bus (25 cents) to La Ofelia: an immense, sprawling market of fruits and other goods, the stalls covered in colorful tarps. Just next to it was the bus terminal.

From there I caught another bus (40 cents) which took me the final distance to the Mitad del Mundo site.

This compound offers a display of native huts, stores selling goods from around the country, restaurants and cafes, and a bright yellow line depicting the equator.

Quite exciting, too!

In celebration, I treated myself to a nice cuppa cappuccino.

Then back I rode, again on a city bus (50 cents), into downtown Quito. And on the bus with me was Pin, an interesting man from the Netherlands; but that’s another story.

In all, it was a wonderful day: seeing the fascinating GUAYASAMIN Museum, straddling both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres, meeting Pin, and above all: flushing those two toilets!

My reward, if you will, after suffering the horrors of . . . The TUNNEL!

Attached Files:

Aces 6 and joenuclear like this.