1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

My new 800 - mildly snatchy, mildly harsh?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by jeffchri, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    Gold Star goes to Bigem :beer

this is your best answer, dude.

2. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Blackie has the same opinion...

I don't have enough miles yet to know; I was surprised by the pics taken by the guy that upgraded his ... the stock springs are much shorter that I would have guessed, with a much longer solid tube in place...

And YEAH ... I do think running the thing in for a couple thousand km before doing anything is a good idea!

Jim
  3. RobTheRigger

RobTheRigger Killing threads here since 2008

Oddometer:
    Time will tell, I guess. I only way 120lbs, but our roads are for shit, and I plan on commuting 50 miles a day, plus "errands" :evil. Gordo, your forks going soft like that, did they offer to fix under warranty? Is the whole warranty void if you do a spring and oil swap? Thanks!

-Rob
  4. jeffchri

jeffchri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fortunately, mine didn't come with a OEM center stand - which is fortunate because I find them, IMHO, fugly. Forgot how much of a pain it makes routine maintenance, however - SW Motcehs is on the way but I think they're back ordered until, like, 2010 ...
  5. jeffchri

jeffchri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, had a great weekend of riding the 800, now up to 850 miles. So far lots of offroad, some of it very nasty, lots of rocky bits, lots of steep, lots of dirt roads with occasional potholes that you'd hit at 50mph, lots of uphill washboard on corners, etc. In all, a great way to exercise the suspension ... and enough to confirm that the problems don't really seem much - if at all - better. The washboard in particular was horrific - my front end would dance laterally on the corners in a rather, um, unpleasant manner. My Dakar would have just eaten that up. Of course, I hit some of those rocks and potholes at 50+ and it didn't bottom, so there's that ...

Anyway, I'm going to wait before I do anything radical, but I'm going to find some Seattle suspension experts (anyone know of any?) and see what they think. I'm also waiting a bit to see if someone comes up with progressive fork and/or shock springs, and of course the Rach Tech stuff.

Is ANYBODY else having this same issue with theirs?
  6. vasculopath

vasculopath You are not your bike Supporter

Oddometer:
    Barry at GP Suspension North...
  7. JohnTM

JohnTM Who's my daddy? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took mine to the OHV area in Land Between The Lakes in Kentucky this weekend. My forks felt fine, but the off-idle snatch was a bit of an issue. For offroad I'd love to have a lower first gear, but on the road it's perfect, so I don't want to change sprockets. I'll just have to work on my throttle control a bit more...:D