My New Chinese Big Ruckus clone thread...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by deezildennis, Jul 27, 2011.

1. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check valve lash. Add around 2 ounces of Techron to the gas tank before refilling.
  2. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plugged pilot jet. Been through that on my Kymco.
  3. Gigglingoth

Gigglingoth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So if it is a blocked jet is it still possible to get to it on a sealed carb? I'm a complete novice to this bike so please bear with me, lol and if I take it to get fixed some where it might be good for me to at least sound like i have some idea of what im talking about :D
  4. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe they mean the idle air screw is sealed. Usually there is a screw in there, but they often put a plug over it. On my Kymco People 150....it would start and idle for a short time, and then die. If I tried to rev it up while idling, it would die. I didn't have to totally remove the carb. I unhooked the throttle cable, and loosened the mounting clamp and was able to rotate the carb to remove the float bowl. Once I got that off, I was able to blow compressed air through the pilot jet using my little air compressor and a rubber nozzle. Assembler it and it has run good since.

You could try a bit of a product called Seafoam sold at many auto parts stores. Napa stores usually have it. You'd then have to run the scooter and see if it might clean it out. This problem is made worse by the ethanol/gasoline mixture. Gasoline without ethanol will go much longer before it starts depositing solids in the carb jets. If you ride often enough, it usually doesn't plug the jets. If the scooter sits for weeks, it could do it. Maybe look online for info on motorcycle carb jets and plugging problems. The pilot jet is the tiniest jet, and is used for slow speed running. It is usually the jet that plugs first.

Some motorcyclists add a bit of Seafom with every, or every other, tank of gas. Even motorcycle makers will often put a plug over the idle air screw, because, they adjust the carb very lean to pass emissions, and they don't want it to easy to tamper with. But that has nothing to do with the jets, which are inside the float bowl, and how they operate.

One poster said it might be a valve adjustment problem. If the valves and rockers have gone out of adjustment and have zero clearance, then maybe it's not allowing the valves to open, or open enough, for proper fuel/air mixture, and exhaust flow. Let's see what some others comment on your problem too.
  5. Gigglingoth

Gigglingoth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So far that's one thing in my favor: I do use Seafoam at every fill up. This should be something fun to ferret out. Looks like I will have my first challenge as soon as it warms up a little here. Thankfully I work at an amusement park so work is seasonal and I have some time
  6. SpectreNCSU

SpectreNCSU Big Ruckus ADV Touring

Oddometer:
  7. Gigglingoth

Gigglingoth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help Spectre but sometimes there are things you can keep to youself. I appreciate humor as much as the next person, but not when Im asking for help from informed, knowledgeable people
  8. Gigglingoth

Gigglingoth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did finally find a place around Chicago that ONLY works on and sells Chinese bikes. They have a very good rep so I'm really looking forward to meeting with them. I had found a place but they required me to sign a waiver...that to me says you dont have the skill or enough faith in your work to touch my bike,,,so I quickly passed on that shop.
  9. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let us know how this works out.
  10. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Don't fart with it. It is uber cheap to just replace the whole damn carb.

I messed with another ZNEN made bike over the summer that had exactly the same issues. I Called up http://midwestpocketbikes.com/ (Fenton Powersports) and sent them a pic of the carb. In like 2 hours he emailed me back and sent a pic back showing a new carb exactly like the one I was having issues He Mailed the Carb to me in short order for a dirt cheap and 30 minutes after pulling it out we got it going with no issues. The carb was exactly like the one on my rowdy. Needless to say I ordered one for myself just in case mine screws up.

I think we put 100 miles on it that day after putting it on.

The Guys Name is Brent at Fenton Powersports. He is very knowledgeable out the Chinese bikes and will help you out.
  11. Antnice2x

Antnice2x n00b

Oddometer:
    do u happen to know what size carb u got, i got a 150cc ssr rowdy and been sittin all winter and havin trouble starting it, figure i just swap out the carb with a carb off eb,y, 30 bucks..
  12. Motovista

Motovista Go Fast, See Nothing

Oddometer:
    Most of the new Chinese bikes come in with tamper proof screws on the carb bowl. It's an EPA thing.
    It's a PITA to drill them out, and is often cheaper to replace the carburetor. In addition, as you say, all of the new idle air screws are sealed.
  13. Motovista

Motovista Go Fast, See Nothing

Oddometer:
    It more than likely means they know Chinese Scooters very well. The problem with Chinese scooters is that you can fix one thing, and something else will immediately go bad. You change a front tire and the belt breaks ten minutes later and the person who owns the bike calls the shop and blames them for that. You replace a voltage regulator and two days later the carb starts dumping gas out the vent. The customer brings it back and wants it fixed for free because you just fixed it two days ago. Meanwhile, he found a way to add a quart of oil to whatever was in there before and the bike is smoking and oil is pouring out of the air box.
    This is an all too common experience in a shop that does a lot of Chinese scooter repair.
  14. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very true exactly my experience when I worked at a chinese scooter shop
  15. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny thing with that is the old carbs will look perfect and jets will be perfectly clear/clean and it still won't run/work. Put in a new one and all you problems are solved for the time being. This was a common occurrence when I worked at a chinese scooter shop.
  16. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    The one we replaced the carb on last year wasn't a rowdy. It was a no name flea market bike with a generic 150cc. I don't Remember what the carb model was. They are not all the same. That bike is running fine even after sitting all winter. Fuel stabilizer is your friend.

And a update for my rowdy for which the thread was started about. Pretty much the same. I rode it though the winter when I could. Had a real bad last few months of winter so it sat in my basement. I put fresh oil and gas in it and have been riding it a lot lately.

Still running trouble free. Real nice to be able hop on it and ride...Might treat it to a valve adjustment and have seats covered in leather this summer.

Other than that...same old same old. Probably sell the Helix this summer since I gravitate towards this more. It handles a lot better around town and has infinitely better brakes than my helix.

Maybe I will get some new pics up later this week.
  17. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Well so much for my High dollar agm cell battery.

Parked it for a few days to Ride the HYO and it is flat.

3 different chargers cant get it past 5 volts. Even the recoupe mode in the optima charger didnt do anything. Tried charging through another battery as well and nothing.....5 volts.

Dang Junk China battery lasted longer than this Varta.

Threw a new cheap battery from farm and fleet store for a few days and seems like there's no power draw anywhere while sitting. Guess it just went bad.
  18. Vitor

Vitor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic Thread and a great scooter!

Congratulations
    GY6 are great sturdy little engines.
    China builds more scooters than almost all the world combined so you cannot expect the quality to be all the same.
    Last year i bought a 50 cc gy6 chinese scooter that i drove for 18.500 kms before selling it to a friend. BTW in 18.500 i never checked the valves. This friend bought the 100 cc big bore kit and i helped him to assemble it on the scooter. The 50 cc old head was perfect still. The piston rings didn's have any free play, the heads were spotless.
    Now i own a 125 cc gy6 with 3.000 kms on it.
  19. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Some of the Gy6 engines are.....some are not. I have been lucky with this one. But then again oil is cheap and I Change it often and I am not wringing it out all the time either. This bike has became a keeper in my stable. I used it daily for a few years year round. I have had my share of poor Chinese products but this hasn't been one of them. I doubt I will ever get rid of it. It doesn't do daily work anymore but I keep it floating on a charger and run it around town and back and forth to work some times a week. I ride my new Hyosung the majority of the time.

I need to get some new pics up.
  20. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Still running great!

Gave it new brake pads and replaced the rear master cylinder a few weeks ago. Took it on a 150 mile road trip a while back and got some bad gas at a shady station in the sticks.. I pretty much limped to the next town and had to pull the left side plastics and drain the tank and replace the fuel filter. Local farm store had one that worked alright. Smelled bad of diesel fuel and was smoking and stinking a bit.

Smoked a bit for the next 5 miles or so and then cleared up. And ran great on the 75 mile trek back home. I never had to change the plug although it's a NGK I put in a while back. Still stinks of diesel sometimes when I first start it, so I guess it got into the Muffler packing?

Seat bottom needs to have some firmer padding in on it for longer rides for sure. The back rest is still REAL nice though.

So still chugging along.