My New Chinese Big Ruckus clone thread...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by deezildennis, Jul 27, 2011.

1. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    The ones I found are SSR. Does Znen manufacture SSR? I keep hearing how there are an almost infinite number of different quality levels for Chinese scooters, which is set by the importer based on what they want to sell them for. Your SSR seems to have held up well for a Chinese scooter.

This is the only one I could find online, and the price is way over $1900.

http://www.saferwholesale.com/Elite-150cc-Rowdy-Scooter-p/rowdy 150cc.htm
  2. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Yes. My SSR is a ZNEN made bike. I have a pic of the cargo platform data tag somewhere. Lemme find it.
    The Roketa, Motobravo and the SSR are all ZNEN manufactured bikes. I think the Leiki brand bike is one as well but is some sort of grey market illegal import of some sort with out znen tags. I've seen a few of those they are identical save for the seat fabric.
  3. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    One of the data tags.

Attached Files:

4. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
  5. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Still chuggin along. 20180906_164835.jpg 20180906_164821.jpg
    joker-b, kpinvt, MiniBike and 2 others like this.
  6. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice! How many miles on her? This has been a very enjoyable thread.

Eric
    deezildennis likes this.
  7. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

It has a little over 14k on it.

It'll need some maintenance over the winter. Fork dust caps for sure , rear tire and some of the crankcase re-circulation parts are weeping. Hopefully those wont be hard to find. I cannot get the factory tires anymore . Really had a hard time finding the front one at the start of the summer so I'll have to put something else on it. I like the look of the Shinko sr568. I have a new belt and some factory weight dr pulley rollers I may put in if I get ambitious. I'm getting tired of scraping my shin on the muffler tip as well when getting other bikes out to ride or the push mower while in shorts! DOH!! I may put the stock one back on it for now and cut the can down 3-4". I like the looks of the stainless can on the bike but its just a smidge too long.
    The Virginian likes this.
  8. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Ruckus clone afficionados: Any Chinese company makes a Big Ruckus clone with dual round headlights instead of the square one your bike has?
  9. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
  10. MiniBike

MiniBike Casual Observer

Oddometer:
  11. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's probably how they get away from having a lawsuit... the square headlight makes it completely different. :rofl
  12. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Update is due I guess..... it's Still chugging along. This year was a easy start after hibernation. I've since started pulling the ethanol out of the ethanol laden fuel we have here in the metro area and that seems to help a lot with carb issues on all of my rides. I dont know if it runs any better but the process has really helped out with all my small carbed machines. I collect antique small engine and small tractors and it has been a god send.
    Last year I started the process and over winter I left fuel in it with stabilizer and it really helped. I Cannot get ethanol free gas within 80 miles of my location unless I want to go to the track and buy race gas for it all year. Not happening. A dap of octane boost after the ethanol removal works just fine.

I Finally had knee surgery in January and it put me out of commission for a few months especially for any riding time. I still need to replace the front tire again and pull the panels to look for corrosion like I do every year. I went with the Kenda front tire for the front this time around . They seem to be decent but we'll see. I Couldnt get the stock Duro tires any longer. Just need time to pull it and swap it out. Front forks will probably get serviced around then. They seem to be fine but the dust seals before the oil seals have started cracking. I have a set and the oil seals.

I bought a new bando belt for it but when I pulled the cover the Gates belt looked great so I buttoned it all back up and just changed the air filter while I was down there. I just changed the oil as well and gave it a new plug. Everything still seems to be alright. Still want to get some time and get to the faded tube paint from the s100 fisco. That Still burns my ass.

No other plans other than to just ride it for the summer like normal. I got my Helix at out the basement at the same time and in typical honda fashion it started right up and rode like it was just turned off yesterday.... I'll swap back and forth between this and the helix for commuting duty.

Good Times..
    kpinvt, Cat0020, wanna bECO and 3 others like this.
  13. Chrisdfw

Chrisdfw n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow thank you Dennis for this forum. Invaluable expertise on the BR clone over such a long period of time! You sir are the GOAT.

I just wanted to bump the thread and ask some questions.

As far as I can tell SSR has discontinued the Rowdy. There is no Rowdy or Elite Rowdy on their website and it shows as discontinued in some of their brochures. I see some online retailers are still selling them so they appear to still be an option.

Anyway I am in the market for a Big Ruckus or Big Ruckus clone.

The only other BR clone I have found appears to be by a company called Amigo. I think it is the same Znen bike as the Rowdy but with some upgrades, like a USB port. It is called the Amigo Rover 150. Curious if anyone has seen this bike or can comment on if it is better or the same or how it differs from the SSR Rowdy.

Does anyone know of other BR clones? I am 6'4'' 250lbs and too big for a normal Ruckus. Need the bigger beast. Love the ruggedness, size and comfort of the BR so am really looking for something identical or close to it. Want to be sure I am considering all the BR options

Where is my money best spent? Buying this new Amigo bike through my local shop, purchasing a SSR direct from online retailer, OR just ponying up the $$$ for the actual Big Ruckus?

Is the value really there in the actual Honda Big Ruckus. Is it worth an extra $2,000 to be able to go ~70mph? Is the build quality that much better that it justifies the cost? It will have at least 2,000 miles on it, is it still worth the extra money even though that is a factor? Collector item potentially that might appreciate in value? 2005 bike, it is almost 2020... Curious how the ride quality/comfort is compared to the newer clones? What else does the Honda BR have over the clones.

For what it is worth I am in Austin TX and there are a lot of hills and inclines here (again disqualifying the normal Honda Ruckus).
    kpinvt and The Virginian like this.
  14. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to Balle scooters, pull up a chair and we'll leave a light on for ya! :)
  15. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO

Oddometer:
    If you really want a Big Ruckus, private sale is the way to go from what I have seen on Craigslist here in the Northeast. There was an ad a while back for a 2005 Big Ruckus that went unsold for almost a month with an asking price of $3400. That ad disappeared and a new one showed up a week later from a dealer in a nearby state for the exact same bike and the dealer was asking $5300 IIRC. The dealer's ad is now gone.
  16. MiniBike

MiniBike Casual Observer

Oddometer:
    FWIW from a BR owner, unless you enjoy working on bikes, buy the real thing. I have a 150cc China bike (along with a Triumph Bonneville, Ruckus and BIG Ruckus), and though the China bike does what it is designed to do, I've had to do more to keep it that way than the other bikes combined. Nothing major, just niggling things like a broken clutch pad/spring, broken ignition switch, leaking fuel lines, etc. and I still have an intermittent horn and turn signals. It's a decent bike and I still ride it, but the BR has more than twice the mileage and everything still works as intended. It's a nice, solid ride.

Keep your eyes open for a BR, have the cash on hand and be ready to pounce on a good deal. They're out there.

I did an internet search about once a week when I was looking for mine. Found it, went straight there (dealer), closed the deal and had it delivered that night. When I went back a week later for the title/permanent tag, they'd had so many offers in response to their online posting that they tried to buy it back for more than I paid them. That was 9 years ago and if I wanted to, I think I could sell it today for what I paid.
  17. Chrisdfw

Chrisdfw n00b

Oddometer:
    This is helpful. I think my mind is made up on a 2005 BR. Id rather buy once, cry once than be at the repair shop every other month with my Chinese scooter. How many miles would you consider to be too many? This seems like a good deal: https://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/mcy/6951581937.html. But is 15,000 miles too many? I like the J-costa variator upgrade. I think I would also need to do new rear shock as I am 250lbs. I see some people changing their weights to 23lbs. Any other upgrades I need to do?
  18. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    14K miles is impressive. From what I've heard, which may or may not be true, some Chinese scooters hold up pretty well when ridden around town. But they don't tend to last long when ridden at WOT out on the open road, and that is my main use for a scooter. 200-300 miles per day.