My new Chinese Cafe Racer: SSR Buccaneer 250C

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ChopperCharles, Feb 14, 2019.

1. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want stock tires, you can order them from your dealership. They're reasonably priced, and likely the only 80/20 dual sport rubber you'll find in a 15" rear.

If you want street tires, you can go up one size in the rear and go with Michelin Commander II front 100/80/17 and Commander III rear 140/90/15, or a Michelin Scorcher 11 front 100/80/17 and rear 140/75/15.

Or you can go up one size in the front and get Heidenau K66 front 110/70/17 and rear 130/80/15

I don't mind mixing and matching tires, but if I absolutely had to have a matching set I'd probably go with the Scorchers.

I did find the OEM front tire and a Heidenau K66 rear was quite a nice combination, but it's a four-season tire with soft rubber (suitable for snow), and NC summer temps wore it out very fast.

Charles.
  2. Common Man

Common Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Charles you are the man!
  3. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Thanks. But you begin to see the reason why I laced new rims on the hubs to go 19 front and 17 rear. There's just a lot more tire choices available.

Charles.
    Common Man likes this.
  4. hollywood2311

hollywood2311 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just bought a Buccaneer Cafe yesterday. Haven't picked it up yet though. Fun Cycles in Valdese, NC had one available. I won't be carrying any passengers or luggage, so hopefully my frame will hold up.
    ChopperCharles and Common Man like this.
  5. Common Man

Common Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on your new bike. I sure have enjoyed mine. What color did you get?
  6. hollywood2311

hollywood2311 n00b

Oddometer:
    It’s red. I may vinyl wrap the tank at some point, but not for a while. First mod might be a rear fender delete, and replace the tail lights with something more minimal.

Attached Files:

7. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    FYI, Honda Suzuki of Sanford has a red one and I think they're wanting under $3000 for it. Weird story, owner won it on The Price is Right, and didn't even know how to ride. Honda Suzuki of Sanford was supposed to deliver it, but the guy sold it to them instead. And so, you can that bike now for well under MSRP. :)

Charles.
  8. Common Man

Common Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a good looking bike keep us updated and enjoy. I had to replace my tail light and blickers the stock ones are junk.
  9. hollywood2311

hollywood2311 n00b

Oddometer:
    Mine was $2900 before taxes, etc. Not too bad I don’t think.
    CrapKerouac likes this.
  10. Common Man

Common Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You got a great deal. I had to give $3100 for mine.
  11. standarche

standarche Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Before I sold it. I had changed to a 520 chain with new sprockets that gave me a solid 75mph top speed over most terrain. Miss this bike :( IMG_20190119_111001153_Original.jpeg
  12. cali_Matt

cali_Matt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    May be a long shot; but does anyone know the specific color code for the red used on the Buccaneer? Or have you found anything pretty close with trial and error? I've got a small chip on the tank that I'd like to touch up to avoid rusting. Thanks in advance!
  13. CrapKerouac

CrapKerouac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Someone dyno'd this bike in the UK, and it had more horsepower than the manufacturer claimed. I'll look for the video, it's sold under another UK brand.
  14. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Luxmoto Vendetta in the UK. I’ll bet the larger hp number is because of the better exhaust system.

Charles.
    CrapKerouac likes this.
  15. CrapKerouac

CrapKerouac Long timer

Oddometer:
    In this review, he mentions the dyno results. I'm a bit busy multitasking, so I'll rewatch it later because I can't remember what they were.

Edit: 17.5 at the rear wheel.
  16. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    2021 Service and Update!

11,814 miles
    Both intake valves were at .003", both exhaust valves were at .006". If you remember, way back at 620 miles I adjusted the exhaust to .006 and the intake to .005. It seems the intakes opened up a little, and the exhaust closed up a little. So this time I adjusted the intakes to .004 and the exhaust to .005. .006 was a bit tappy and was just outside the actual range (.08mm - .12mm) but I was playing it safe because I didn't know if the valves would close up really fast.

I removed my K&N filter and the custom intake plenum I built, and put the stock airbox and filter back on. The intake roar was just too loud for me, and there was no difference in top end power whatsoever. At least, none my ass could detect. I also removed the EJK. While it seems to have some effect on top end in the winter, in the summer it needs to be dialed back to zero. I wonder if the ECU can't compensate for the cold weather by adding enough fuel in the winter, but the bike has always run better above 70 degrees F. I could have left it on but I want to cannibalize it and see if I can get it to work on my RX3 after I install a big bore kit.

So intake is back to stock. Exhaust is still the slick 2-into-1 that you see on the Vendetta above. I changed the oil and filter, put on a new drain plug crush washer, and modified an adjustable lever for an RX3 to fit the Buccaneer's master cylinder. (I had to dremel the tang that actuates the brake light switch narrower). I can't wait to take it on another ride, but the skies just opened up here so I'm going to call it a day and go get a beer. At least I got a nice ride in on the Benelli this morning.

Charles.
  17. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Charles, do you ever go on the RE Himalayan thread? I'm really unknowledgeable when it comes to FI but there has been a lot of talk there about using a thermistor(?) to fool the ECU into thinking it's colder so that the mixture is a bit richer. I don't know if it would be applicable to your bike but if it runs better within above a certain temp. then something is going on. FI is supposed to compensate for temperature.
  18. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    It does compensate, I just don’t think the map is perfect somehow. It’s definitely good enough but I’m sure a real tuner could make significant changes. I’m just not that person. I have no idea how to reverse engineer an ecu.

Charles.
  19. MQracing

MQracing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. Mr. Fixit

Mr. Fixit Reevaluating

Oddometer:
    ChopperCharles likes this.