My new el-cheapo R1150GS windscreen upgrade!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Daz the Aussie, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Daz the Aussie

Daz the Aussie Mistrusts Squirrels

Oddometer:
    I recently came back to the BMW fold with my purchase of a low mileage 2003 R1150GS Sport.

[​IMG]

The screen fitted when I bought it was the OEM unit with a Touratech Wind Deflector attached and for my 5' 8" frame it sucked! The noise blast was too loud and without the deflector the turbulence thrashed my head around inside my Schuberth C3 so I purchased an "unknown" screen from one of the inmates here. I say unknown because he was sure it was for a standard R1150GS but others thought it was for the adventure model. Chalk one up to the clever pants "others" because when it arrived today and I took it out of the box I discovered they were correct. I checked out the price of some new adventure mounts but in doing so I discovered that they don't allow for any tilt adjustment like the standard GS mounts do and besides that they go for around $140 with all the screws and bits. With that in mind I lined up the two to see what kind of differences there were.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Up on the workbench I eyeballed the distance and figured the gap was around 3/4" either side for the mount points. Then it was off to the hardware store where I found everything I would need for around $12! Here's what I got:

[​IMG]

4 x 3/4" spacers with a couple of 65mm bolts. I pulled all the old mounts off and fitted them to the new screen. Then I used the spacers in place of where the thicker adventure rear mounting block would go. In the next photo you can see a small ridge, the new spacers need to fit over this to help center everything.

[​IMG]

I used what was the old front screws in the rear (as they are around 3/4" longer) and placed the mounts with the spacers behind them. The spacers make perfect contact on the instrument binnacle the same as the spacer blocks normally do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess I could have painted the spacers and maybe one day I will but for the moment they really don't stand out too much unless you are looking right at them. Then it was on with the new screen which I attached to the mounts by using the 65mm bolts at the front and the original tilt adjuster screws back at the rear.

[​IMG]

The whole thing feels every bit as stable as before and the screen is a lot taller, so much so that in the upright position I have to look through it so I will experiment with the correct angle to see what work best. All in all this was a real cheap upgrade. Job done I say!
  2. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Nicely done!

If I'd gone to the hardware store, they'd only have 3 of those spacers. Just the way my life is. But nice to see others find success quickly and easily.
  3. Daz the Aussie

Oddometer:
    LOL no thats what normally happens to me so thank you, at least I'm not the only one! :lol3
  4. Jazz62

Jazz62 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bravo!!!
  5. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    I would chrome the steel spacers then, get a tattoo.

Nice work.
  6. Ua the Destroyer

Ua the Destroyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How's the noise and buffeting?
  7. (none)

(none) poser

Oddometer:
    awesome. I'd toyed with getting an ADV screen for my GS but didn't want to buy the new mounts. Solution found!
  8. Daz the Aussie

Oddometer:
    Just took it for its maiden voyage with the new screen and its better but still not what I am looking for. The best position (for me anyways) seems to be all the way back but there is still a good amount of wind noise although the buffeting is a lot better. The problem seems to be the airflow off the sides down near where it curves and I think the mirrors are causing some of the issues as well but the mounts are fantastic, no movement there at all.

Daz.
  9. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a purty motorsickle.... :tb:raabia I'm not usually a big fan of yellow, but that's a real nice tone. Of course, my silver and black 1150 is the fastest color :D.

I fiddled with several windscreens on my GS after I bought it and finally landed with an MRA adjustable screen. I still get wind noise but it lessens the buffeting, plus you can raise and lower the upper screen to accomodate highway or off-road use. It's better than the stocker and WAY less cumbersome than the Aeroflow barn door I have for it, but I still get the noise; there's no quiet spot behind the GS windscreen like on my RT. The barn door was quiet like the RT, but it's just too damned big. The quietest position I've found for the MRA screen is tilted back (second to lowest setting) with the upper screen extended. My head is in the smooth air streaming over the screen (looking over the screen), not in the roiled air below that stream. I'm 5' 8" too and it works nicely, and I have the seat set in the lowest position to keep me down "in" the bike as mush as possible.

I think most of the noise I get is from my helmet; I notice a distinct difference in level and type of noise wearing different helmets.

Nice fix, I hope you get the noise whittled down some more! I finally gave up and just ride the darn thing with earplugs and a good quiet helmet.

P.S. I see you still have the rubber brake lines - I just had a failure of mine and ZERO warning! I'm not sure if the 2003 models have the same lines my 2001 had, but they are SHIT and should be replaced. I posted a thread about it a couple days ago, just something to think about.

Doug
  10. Daz the Aussie

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words and the advice Doug. I have the brake line replacement down as a "to do" job in the very near future. :D
  11. 01yzf600r

01yzf600r n00b

Oddometer:
    Did you drill the GSA screen? After reading this I purchased the hardware to install my Cee baily screen, only to find the holes are different. I am afraid to drill the screen, but I guess I could?
  12. Ua the Destroyer

Ua the Destroyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've just gone without a windscreen since it's smoother and quiter for me. If it's gonna be really cold or wet, i'll put the screen back on but that's only been for a couple trips since I've got my 1150. Good luck in your search.
  13. Daz the Aussie

Oddometer:
    Nope, I did not drill into it. I have been using it one the bike with some tobinators added to my spacer set up and its been great although I think I might now fit up my bigger Z Technik screen for better protection.
  14. picinisco

picinisco Scottish Transplant

Oddometer:
    If you are going to drill lexan, grind the sharp edge off your drill before you start. This will stop the drill grabbing as it breaks through and give you clean cut.
  15. SJSharkfan

SJSharkfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took my old scratched up adv screen,cut off 6" and painted the inside black. Turned out pretty good[​IMG]
    Andrew likes this.
  16. DelBoy1150

DelBoy1150 Fill your hands!!!

Oddometer:
    Well Daz. Can you post pictures again. Trying to organise the same swap over but my bike is in San Francisco! I'm in Ireland! D
  17. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What I did: Cut off the deflector lip at the top, and drilled out the mounting points so it could lay back one click further. It put my helmet in clean fresh air, free of buffeting. Yes, I'm quite tall...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. DelBoy1150

DelBoy1150 Fill your hands!!!

Oddometer:
    It was the spacers u used for the GSA screen on gs. I am trying to get what I need to prepared. Thanks