My new Italian-Chinese Scrambler: Benelli Leoncino Trail

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ChopperCharles, Feb 6, 2021.

1. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    If anyone needs it, I have a PDF of the service manual (in English). Shoot me a PM and you can have it.

Charles.
  2. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  3. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Yes, but a 10W wireless charger is 10 watts into the phone. Because it's wireless, it's not at all efficient.

Charles.
  4. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the word on the heated gear. I was wondering about grips and a vest, sounds like the output's good enough.

Sarah
  5. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Did some more work on the Leoncino today. I removed the tire hugger fender and the brackets, and hung a little aluminum plate bracket off of the rear fender. I didn't really mind the look of the hugger so much, but it's unnecessary unsprung weight. 3 pounds 3 ounces of unsprung weight, in fact.

IMG_9430.jpg

The new license plate mount attaches to existing inner-fender mounting points, using longer screws. It weighs only 8.8 ounces... plus two screws and nuts that eluded me when I was trying to weigh it.

IMG_9431.jpg

I of course had to add about 2 feet of wire, and then crimp and solder bullet connectors onto it. This is so it will plug into the OEM license plate light connectors.

So, that done I needed to re-mount the chain guard. One bolt I just replaced with a shorter one... but the other two couldn't be replaced with shorter, but also didn't look great with their threads exposed. SO, I cranked up the lathe and made two small stainless steel spacers.

IMG_9429.jpg

The spacers are 14mm long and fit perfectly right where the hugger bracket was once mounted:

IMG_9428.jpg

The second spacer is yet to be installed in that pic.

Charles.
    HapHazard likes this.
  6. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Charles, why bother with a spacer there, you could use a 10mm long allen and a flange nut on the outside ear if it is about looks. Just a thought.
  7. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    Also, for a scrambler, the back of that thing looks like it could hold another 5 lbs of muck, in the right conditions.
  8. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I suppose I could have used shorter Allen bolts but the original bolts are what I had and I was also looking for any excuse to use the lathe. I’d have had to pay for shorter Allen bolts and then keep track of the originals with the fender and this made it easier.

Charles.
  9. markk53

Oddometer:
    Helps that you have a lathe to make the spacers too, of course. All makes sense for sure.
  10. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    One thing I really like about the underside of the bike, is that there is a plastic panel that screws in and fully covers the under-fender area with a smooth, easy-to-clean surface. All of the turn signal wires and everything are tucked up out of the way of mud and rock spray.

That said, I detest mud, and will avoid it at all costs.

Charles.
  11. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Just a Harbor Freight 8x12 (actually 8x14) mini lathe. Sadly discontinued now. HF only sells the dimunitive 7x10 and 7x12 lathes, which are too tiny for anything serious. BUT either one of those could have made these parts, so maybe not completely useless.

I see lathes all the time on craigslist, if that's something you want they're easy enough to find. Take a class at a community college and you'll get the basics of lathe operation. Usually night courses too.

Charles.
  12. markk53

Oddometer:
    Actually have a degree in Industrial Tech education, taught a basic metals class, and did about six years in quality at a cutting tool company... just don't have a lathe. Never know, may end up with one someday. What I'd really like is a Bridgeport...
  13. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    You and me both! No room for it though, going to have to settle for a benchtop milling machine.

Charles.
  14. Mr. Fixit

Mr. Fixit Reevaluating

Oddometer:
    I had one of the HF 8x14 lathes when they first came out. Got an absolutely screaming deal on it because the store manager wanted to put one out in the wild. It was enormously better than any of the other Chinese lathes at the time. Waaaaay more solid and far less sloppy. My two "complaints" were the lack of a quick-change gearbox and I wanted to be able to handle longer workpieces. I eventually overpaid for a battered SB Heavy 10 and sold the HF for several hundred more than I paid for it, but still well under new cost at the time. By now I'm sure it's pretty easy to convert one to variable speed, which would make it handier for quickie jobs.

PM me if you need some tooling. I have stuff I'll never use, and you can consider it a tip for the storyteller.
  15. markk53

Oddometer:
    One school where I taught had a mini-mill. Not very useful, but fun and did use G-coding. A small bench top would be pretty cool. Not like I want to machine an engine block or head.
  16. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I might want to machine some headlight brackets or a billet taco holder or something. I won't be using it on engine blocks :)

Charles.
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  17. markk53

Oddometer:
  18. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I just realized I forgot to post a picture of the tail tidy.

76F8992F-A747-46A6-B8D5-47E7A8611E3E.jpeg

you can also see the quick release number plate I’m working on now. ill post pics of those when I’m done.

Charles.
  19. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Huge improvement on those turn signals.

Sarah
    ChopperCharles likes this.
  20. markk53

Oddometer:
    Here's a thought for seriously tucked in turn signals I did, turned on the 4 way flashers to get the shot of them both lit, sorry about the blurry pics, I didn't clean the camera lens on my phone before shooting them:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

They're those tiny 5 led jobs for like twelve bucks on ebay. Got a five buck flasher relay on Amazon to work them perfect.