My new Italian-Chinese Scrambler: Benelli Leoncino Trail

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ChopperCharles, Feb 6, 2021.

1. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, another thing I wanted to mention. Rider made a point of bashing the gearbox for being too smooth and needing a more positive feel. Which is bullshit. You know what's great about this transmission? I've been riding it off-road and in the mountains, and I've been riding it tired after a whole day of dirt and then hours on the trip home after all that. And every time I ham-fisted a shift, mis-timed the clutch to my shift, or just generally screwed up my shifting, the Leoncino just.... shifted. Without drama. I've done things to this transmission that would have caused false neutrals or it to pop out of gear on ANY of my other motorcycles. The Leoncino just shifts. No matter how tired or crazed or just uncoordinated I was, I never had shifting problems, even when doing what should have been a missed shift at 8000rpm. The transmission is a fucking GEM.

Charles.
    KingOfFleece likes this.
  2. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure how a bike could have too smooth shifting. I could see how there might not be adequate detent causing the trans to overshift, like the old Sachs engined Pentons did and not heard of it since the 70s. They needed gear box adjustment at times. But shifting too smooth, sliding right in gear without notchiness not being a good thing? Has Rider been testing too many big cruisers/tourers and become accustomed to the clunkiness? :eek7
  3. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure, but I kinda felt the same when I rode the RE Int 650 recently. It was very smooth, to the point that I didn't have any tactile feedback that I had, in fact, moved the shifter far enough to actually get to the next gear.

I don't need a cruiser clunk that sounds and feels like something broke, but a solid click is nice.

I assume if I bought it I could get used to it, but for a short term ride it was a bit disconcerting.
  4. vicster

vicster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Paulson's in Lacey, WA is an SSR dealer so I stopped in today to see what they had and I now understand how you could be so enamored with the Benelli, Charles. A great looking little bike that seems well thought out and I saw no issues with fit and finish.
    The $895 shipping seems a bit much though.
  5. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    That's pretty steep. That particular dealer is trying to screw you. The SSR/Benelli website shows a recommended destination charge of $365, and I'd argue to get that or less. My dealership charged less than that. This was my breakdown:

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 8.59.11 PM.png

Charles.
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  6. markk53

Oddometer:
    Are they making up for a lower sale price? That's a common ruse. That way it looks like they're selling at a better price, when hiding additional profit in the freight/prep. The place where I worked, we ran into that from competition.. We always pointed to the bottom line - OTD. That's what mattered. We were always in the hunt while being up front with the pricing.
  7. vicster

vicster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, they're not trying to screw my personally, that's just the number on the bar tag. At least they put the numbers right on the bar tag instead of waiting until the paper work starts. I noticed a local Indian dealer is at $695 freight, which I also thought high. Maybe it's a regional thing?

@markk53, that may be that's their intent, I don't know. I know I've bought 4 bikes from them in the last 35 years and they've always had the low price/good service thing going on. The last bike I bought from them was my DR 11 years ago though, so maybe it's different now. They do claim to be the longest running family owned motorcycle dealership in the U.S., so they must be doing something right. What's weird too is that unlike every other dealership I've visited this Spring their showroom is packed with bikes and quads for sale.
    Not affiliated in any way. Hell, that's only the second time in 11 years I've even been in the place.
    Anyway, the point I wanted to make is that I think the Benelli is a really good looking and unique motorcycle and definitely worth checking out if you're in the market.
  8. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    There is an inventory shortage. Everyone has a markup, and thief’s sounds pretty small. Try buying a new car at MSRP right now.
  9. markk53

Oddometer:
    Well, at least you can compare to the pricing of Charles' buy.

We were fortunate, last year around late June/early July we decided to see about going to an SUV, for the ease of entry/exit over the Civic we had. Wife liked the Honda HRV EX and at that time the '17 Civic EX with around 33,000 miles was fairly well sought for a certified used Honda, got a decent price w/trade and 0.9% financing over 5 years. So we did the deal. Wife wanted blue, but all they had there was white and silver in the model. She was willing to wait, after all we still had the Civic. She was getting called about once a week asking if she was interested in one of the other colors, but she wasn't. The HRVs come out of Mexico and they showed some blue were in the supply line, but no time of delivery guarantee. Regardless, she held on and around two and a half months later we got the vehicle. Makes me wonder what it would be now. Apparently we were right on the fringe of the slow down, but willing to wait, and she got what she wanted.

I'm betting they scored big on our trade in though. Decently equipped mid-upper line with low miles and no body damage at all.

The HRV is nice in general, but I wish it had the 1500 turbo from the Civic in it. Just a bit sluggish... but the wife's happy.
  10. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    I must have timed it right then. At the end of March, I bought a new Mazda CX-30 AWD Turbo, with an MSRP of just over $34,000.
    I had been checking the national site, trying to find the exact model and color I wanted for weeks. One popped up at a large dealer to the south in West Palm, so we made an appointment to see it. No trade, cash deal, taxes, registration, etc. - managed to get it OTD for less than the MSRP. :D
    HapHazard likes this.
  11. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    The HR-V is built on the Fit platform; the CR-V on the Civic platform (so it has the 1.5L turbo engine). We got a CR-V EX-L (1.5L turbo) in 2017, but I'm tall, tend to carry a bunch of stuff from the home centers and big box stores and we take a load of stuff to the beach area on vacation. Only 28K miles (just got new tires to replace the OEMs that probably will not pass safety inspection this month) so I don't use it as much as others but it has been an OK vehicle. Did find that my engine performs better on 89 octane fuel despite what the owner's manual says.
  12. markk53

Oddometer:
    @zap2504 Yeah, my son-in-law works at Honda, being all over the place working in the maintenance of the line equipment. He explained the various differences in models and the way Honda has worked with the different platforms. We did the Civic at the time, then went to the HR-V based on ease of utility, which we love. It was kind of tough taking the hit on MPG going from 36 oal to 28 oal MPG. Civic was great on gas on the highway for sure, always in the 40s.

I will say I am not sure what I'd have done if it was going to be my vehicle... probably buy an 80s-00s F150 or C10 at Mecum or Barrett-Jackson. Ran into a guy who bought a great F150 short bed step side from Mecum in Florida for $11,000! Seems one can get a fairly decent truck for under $20,000 there. I still need a truck, but do not want one of the current breed of leviathans currently built. Ideally a small block V-8 short or long bed manual or automatic would be great. Right now I'm still running a 96 Ranger V-6 5-sp lowered for easier loading in the bed... and it looks good too.

One plus to having the inside line at Honda was getting information about models beyond the normal. His tips on finish, build, engine information and a bit of information not really known in the U.S. helped. Civic and CRV were tops. He also got me information on something I wondered about - towing with the HRV. Seems the manual says "not recommended" and nothing beyond that, yet Australian dealers point to the capability. He learned that it was capable of 1100 lb towing, the main concern - braking. The brakes aren't as strong as they'd like for towing much. So I may put a class 1 hitch on it to tow my small 600 lb utility trailer when I want to haul the dual sport or street bike somewhere with the wife.
    HapHazard likes this.
  13. davide

davide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Unlikely we'll get the Sport here, but there's a possibility. I do like the tubeless spoked rims and the supertrapp-style exhaust on the cafe/sport version. That exhaust might look good on the Trail, actually...

Charles.
    davide likes this.
  15. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    So the leoncino was a bit out of its element today. We ended up on a road that turned into a trail and just got worse and worse. I crashed it three times but it really performed way better than I expected it to.

D992E590-2B51-474C-9851-33977268165B.jpeg C53154E1-75B0-45F0-87E8-A7C9EBEF3984.jpeg 77C5CA68-3897-4E20-AD78-10D4EFB8BB03.jpeg 30CC02CE-11E8-4D87-B541-55AC7034AD5A.jpeg 21C80A17-784A-47FA-A3F8-2CBCC74C62AE.jpeg 12CE98FA-DEDB-4759-B5B3-DC14049AAD27.jpeg
    F20B3DC2-17A1-403B-9992-60637B6DCA4E.jpeg D992E590-2B51-474C-9851-33977268165B.jpeg C53154E1-75B0-45F0-87E8-A7C9EBEF3984.jpeg 77C5CA68-3897-4E20-AD78-10D4EFB8BB03.jpeg 30CC02CE-11E8-4D87-B541-55AC7034AD5A.jpeg 21C80A17-784A-47FA-A3F8-2CBCC74C62AE.jpeg 12CE98FA-DEDB-4759-B5B3-DC14049AAD27.jpeg

Charles.
  16. Mr. Fixit

Mr. Fixit Reevaluating

Oddometer:
    Dont'cha know yer supposed to take pics of the napping bikes?

Looks like a fun ride!
  17. batoutoflahonda

batoutoflahonda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tell them you got a friend in China who can pick them up all day long for $6200.00. Be curious to know what a dealer makes on them in the US.
  18. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    This one might actually be my favorite. Really deep crossing was over the top of the tires at the deepest point. Baby head rocks all along the bottom. Figured it best to walk it over (bike running and clutch slipping) since I had the lowest air intake and a tipover would have ended the bike.

IMG_0025.JPG
    Scoozi and mentolio like this.
  19. KrisXT500

KrisXT500 n00b

Oddometer:
    Charles, found a Leoncino 500 Trail for sale in CA, however most local dealers won't even service them yet, not even an oil change (no filters?). Can you email me the service manual, hoping to do the basics myself.

Thanks in advance, Kris
  20. ChopperCharles

Oddometer: