My Original KTM 690 Rally Raid Build and History So Far

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by El Ponkin, Sep 21, 2016.

1. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    I had my build thread located on another website but they are shutting it down soon so I decided to move it here. The build is a bit old school now but still contains lots of useful mods. I also detail all the issues I have faced and fixed on the bike and as I am up to 56000kms now it is quite an informative history.
    As I am in Brisbane Australia all quotes are in Aussie Dollars and most businesses I mention are in Australia.
    Hope you enjoy it and it helps you with your bike.

You may also like to check out my other threads for further useful info on the 690:

KTM 690 EFI - Idiots Guide
    KTM 690 Troubleshooting Guide

Andy
    10klakes and ErGuss like this.
  2. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Got a BIG BOX in the post, all from Rally Raid.

[​IMG]

Adventure Fairing Kit £795.00
    Fuel Tank Kit-Natural £495.00
    Rally Engine Guard with Tank £257.25
    690 Centre Stand Kit £188.00
    Billet Filler Adaptor and Acerbis Cap £44.88
    Subframe Tank Mounting Bolts £32.95
    Lower Tank Mount Kit £20.35
    690 Radiator Guard Kit £106.42
    Adventure Graphics Kit £144.00
    Fan Thermostat Switch £43.27

As well as the Rally Raid gear I went for the following extras:
    Touratech Pannier frames
    B&B Alloy case saver
    B&B Alloy rear rack but only the base plate for $50 I reckon the full rack is too big, so I used just their base and came up with my own idea.
    Rbotts (ADV inmate) Risers and Scotts damper which reqs a 10 mm longer link arm due to the Rally Raid fairing mount pushing the ignition switch back
    Chinese LED indicators from Ebay
    LED flasher relay
    Ballards heated grips
    Ballards sintered bronze inline fuel filter for filtering fuel from the Rally Raid tanks
    Gates submersible fuel hose to eradicate the in tank filter
    Canam filter (replaces in tank filter but mounted externally - 10 micron rating)
    Replaced all fuel hose clamps with EFI rated triton hose clamps so you can get them apart in the bush unlike stupid KTM clamps
    18mm Hose support clamps from a hydraulic hose shop to mount the tool tubes
    Highway dirt bikes billet top clamp for mounting my map holder
    John Moorehouse reworked the standard seat

Unpacked all the goodies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FMF apex pipe from the USA, very noisy !!

[​IMG]

Bashplate and built in centre stand was first to go on, bit of a fight to get it into the rubber bushes.

[​IMG]

Next were the tanks, nice design and easy to fit. Total capacity with the additional Rally Raid tanks is 22.5 litres useable fuel. I measured mine accurately. The standard rear tank is about 12 with the Rally Raids holding just over 5 each. If you add the additional Rally Raid rear side tank that fits opposite side to the exhaust then that would give you an extra 5 to make it up to your 27, I haven’t bothered with that as 22 is good for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Fuel system mods.

Removed internal filter from tank and fitted Gates submersible fuel hose to both pump pressure and cooling flow lines in the tank, this is to remove the internal filter and allow quick disconnect connections at the pump so it is easy to change if I have a pump fail in the bush.. Fitted the profill filter to the pump inlet. My Rally Raid tanks feed via a Honda on/off tap to a ballards sintered bronze cleanable low pressure filter before feeding into the pump base of the main tank. Pressurised fuel feeds out of the tank to a 10 micron Canam filter P/N 709-000-100 installed as per the pic below so it can easily be accessed on the trail and replaced. I always use a Mr Funnel Filter for refuels as it filters water and dirt, I have the raised Rally Raid billet filler on the rear tank to stop dirt ingress when opening the tank cap.

Did a mock up to check it would all work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fitted Rally Raid upper and lower tank bolts, the lower one was a press fit with a G clamp and the design with through bolt and lock nut is much better. The original has a threaded bolt either end and once you undo one end the bolt just spins the tube when you try and undo the other end. The Rally Raid is a much better design. Upper bolts are much stronger than standard.

[​IMG]

Fairing mounts were next, bloody nice piece of engineering, everything just fits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got a heat gun and pulled all the genuine KTM decals off a brand new bike and binned them, talk about sweating, just got to get the Rally Raid sticker kit on without f*****n it up, the pressure

[​IMG]

Bought some risers and Scotts Damper and this includes the operating pin in a beautifully engineered mounting block around the ignition switch but because of the fairing mount picking up on a plate in front of the ignition switch the whole mount moves back 10mm so needed a longer link arm on the Scotts damper, check out this site they give P/Ns for longer link arms, you will have to make up an extractor to get the arm off, piccies in the same doc , should be easy to knock one up rather than buying one. Mine is the standard 40mm stepped link arm so I have used the 50mm P/N LKM-4032-50. Tried Fatcrank who are the Aussie suppliers but they don't do link arms so it is a case of ordering direct from Scott, $39 plus postage. The set up I bought is 2.5 inch rise as I am 6ft 5in and I have also put on fastway pegs in the low position even though they only drop about 1/2 inch every bit counts.

http://www.scottsonline.com/litrack/257.pdf

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    I did a couple of mods on the Rally Raid fairing plate to prevent the vibe issue that all have experienced. Added a support angle both sides and trimmed the edge to give clearance to the fairing and used some fuel hose with a split down it and silastic to edge it. I figured it would absorb a side impact and stop the plate puncturing the fairing.

[​IMG]

Cockpit is taking shape, fabricated a plate to mount my usual shit without wrecking any of the standard Rally Raid Dashboard, it just lays over the top and picks up existing fasteners. Wired in the Montana , Uniden UHF and fitted Ballards heated grips plus 12volt power outlet hard wired direct to the battery, Mirrors are dual star ones from Ballards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounted my Map Holder on a Top Billet Clamp from Highway dirt bikes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found that a $10 Alvey Waist Bait Bucket from BCF just fits the gap between the Rally Raid fairing and the Rally Raid tank with support from a bent up piece of alloy to make a stowage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swapped the standard 2010/2011 front fender for the old version, the new ones catch the wind and bend down at the front and I reckon the earlier version has better airflow to the radiator.

[​IMG]

As I am going to LEDs all round I am changing my flasher unit to a "no load" flasher from this mob, $20 plus $6 postage.

http://www.ledshoponline.com/electro...asher_cans.htm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fitted the touratech racks as these have dual supports down to the footpeg mounting plate so keep the load off the plastic rear tank/subframe structure. Made up a bracket to tie the shorty rear fender to the crossbar which has made it all nice and rigid and strengthens the rear fender.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Tool Tube Mounting

Catman kindly knocked me up some tool tubes but then the mission was to mount them but do it in a way that they weren’t flush to the pannier tubes so I could still wrap the strap for my Andy Strapz panniers around the pannier frame. I manufactured a bracket to locate the 90mm hose clamp for around the tool tube, only issue was finding an 18mm clamp. Eventually found that hydraulic hose shops sell 18mm hydraulic hose support clamps, mine were $7 each. Then just replace the top plate with a fabricated plate with two chain drilled slots to put the clamp through, sorted. They are nice and tight once on, beauty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ran a plumb line down from the tool tube after I tweaked it out a bit and it misses the swingarm at full compression.

[​IMG]

Tool tube across the back for tyre levers

[​IMG]

I liked the B&B Rear rack but thought it was a bit big considering I am still fearful of putting too much weight on the back so when Catman bought his around to show me I liked the base plate they supplied with it and thought I could do something with that on its own. I contacted B&B and they sold me the base plate and mount bolts for $50. It will take my swag easily and as it is a bit further forward it keeps the weight off the back. I made up a hinge flap over the filler to stop the swag flattening the filler cap vent and as my swag is held on quick release straps it is no drama to pop it off for refuels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also to route my rear retaining strap of my Andy Straps I made up a plate to guide the strap and mounted it with an additional washer under the rear bolts. This nicely sandwiches the strap between the rear guide and the bottom of the rack. One last mod at the back was to mount a grab handle using those two rear holes so you lot can pull me out the shit.

[​IMG]

Finally got my KTM Evo Air Filter cover P/N 76506102000 should let a bit more airflow through. Did the 15min reset thing. Didn’t quite sit flush and tended to bow giving the chance of an air gap even with grease on the seal so went all out and designed / built my own bearer plate to even out the load.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Exhaust Mount Access

Just modified the rear cowl with two access holes to the exhaust mount bolts. This means that I can lift the whole arse end with only removing the two pannier rack bolts either side at the footpegs, undoing the two fairing bolts at the top tank mounts and unclipping the fairing locating spigots, undoing the fuel inlet pipe from the front tanks, undoing the two exhaust mount bolts where they go into the tank and finally the lower tank mount bolt and it will all hinge up. Easier access in the bush for any fuel tank issues or rear shock access as well as servicing/adjustments back home. Saves taking the rear rack, pannier frames and rear cowl off.

[​IMG]

Made my own brake disc protector

[​IMG]

Took off the Rally Raid bash plate to have a look at how the emergency water tank was holding up. Found a few rubs so everywhere it rubbed I put double sided foam tape.Used a bit of expansion foam to fill the gaps to stop rocks getting in the gaps and wearing through the tank. Also had to resecure the rubber on the bottom of the plate as the contact adhesive they had used had let go. Put another rubber strip under the front where the tank had been rubbing the worst.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally decided on a tank bag, after looking through the various threads I went for the Sw-Motech Bags Connection Enduro Lite. I can sit if far enough back so it won't bump the key off. It is waterproof "as is" so no need for a cover like the wolfman version, it is the right width to sit between the two filler caps due to the bike having Rally Raid Twin tanks up front. Will see how it lasts on the next couple of rides. Cost $75 see ebay link below

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bags-Conn...item1e6846ebb7

[​IMG]

Storage

As usual struggling to find storage for breakdown spares for the APC Rally and came up with this idea to store spare levers and rear pads in the Rally Raid Fairing, thinking about it, brake pads are normally out in all weathers down by the rear wheel so no need to bag them as long as I don't get any oil or grease up there which I shouldn't. They are bolted one end and just tie wrapped to stop any spin but they are tight anyway. Also made a mount for the spare tube.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got rid of the sidestand cut out switch. The proximity switch is actuated by a plastic target that like anything on a dirt bike it can get smashed. You just buy a KTM sidestand cutout connector or make up your own resistor. Its the same as the 990 and Duke cutout available from KTM.

http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-950-990-...removal-switch

[​IMG]
    zvpqfcxg likes this.
  7. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Got the seat done at John Moorhouse Ergo Seats here in Brisbane and it is a beauty, just did 2000km round trip to Springsure and it is superbly comfortable. I still did use my airhawk because I am a pussy but you could tell the seat is so much better , much wider and softer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tempted fate, couldn’t resist, wander how long this one will last.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Wayne Jenkins and BygDaddee like this.
  8. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Re: KTM690 Rally Raid Build

Bought some spotties from here:

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hst...Categories.bok

One is the floodlight wired through a switch direct to battery, figured it would be useful for setting up campsite and one is a spot, ignition wired. On the website it is the 44 and the 30 and I bought the heavy duty mounts and lens protectors. Waterproof booted switches from Jaycar. Floodlight is 1.8 amps spot is 0.86 amps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I figure they are worthwhile if you get stuck out after dark and these are the CRE style LEDs that are super bright.

[​IMG]
  9. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:

Upgraded my previous radio only hard wired comms to the full Starcom Advance Unit so I can have music and phone as well as UHF, hard wired so no batteries to charge like on a Bluetooth set up. Got it through Dale (www.dmme.com.au), great service as always.

[​IMG]

Fitted the Bulkhead connector on the Dash for easy connect/disconnect.

[​IMG]

Made up some light protectors out of some Perspex “keep it simple” they work.

[​IMG]
  10. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:

I made my own case ptotectors from aircraft alloy shaped with hammer and a bean bag, as they are alloy the expansion rate is closer to that of the casings. Even though mine are alloy with the thick layer of sealant they can shock absorb the hits. They have been on for 20000kms with big hits on the APC Rally through Cordillo Downs so well proven.

[​IMG]

Got the extra bit under this side to stop the brake lever piercing the case during a drop.

[​IMG]

Andy
  11. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:

Finally upgraded my UHF to a Uniden UH078 5 watt with remote aerial and constant DC charger.
    Radio is mounted with a screw and a bush through the charger at the base and using the trimmed down waist belt clip screwed into an anchor nut at the top so I can remove the radio on an overnight if required.

[​IMG]

Remote aerial is 4db, not sure whether the proximity to my rear "Jesus" handle will mess up the ground plane yet but Radio Techs at work are going to give it a performance check with a VSWR meter and if I need to I can change the handle for a webbing strap. All kit courtesy of Dale at DMME, great service as always.

[​IMG]

Andy
  12. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:

Unscrew the transmit/headset lead to reveal the attaching screw, this is standard KTM 8mm into a rivetted anchor nut.

[​IMG]

I drilled the charger base and araldited a bush in place to accept a countersunk screw, also used doulbesided foam tape between the mount and the dash to take out any twist as i didn't want to gorilla it up tight. Example of type of bush on my finger in the shot.

[​IMG]

Trimmed down the waist belt clip that came with the Radio it is very tight fit and feels pretty solid so figured it would do the job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need to just address the possibility of water getting into the charger and shorting connections in heavy rain, so might have a think about a splash cover at least.

Andy
  13. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:

Update on my Rally Raid set up:

Dropped it in a creek, luckily not enough to flood it but would have been enough to fully immerse my autocom unit and Bluetooth sender, yet as soon as I fired the bike up again the music came straight on, pretty impressed.
    Also stalled the bike in some tight track and was still rolling as I hit the start button and a bit of throttle several times and the FI light starting blinking at me that it wasn't happy. I figured I had upset the power up self test the ECU does and depowered the bike then did a throttle calibration with ignition on ( just slowly open and then close the throttle ) depowered and then powered it up again and then FI light cleared and the bike started with no further issues all day. Similar trick works with aircraft systems with self test features so figure the start up self test had got itself confused.
    Also dropped the bike on the tarmac at about 60-70kms, just selecting my next track on the GPS instead of watching the road and didn't see an off camber corner until it was too late, anyway the Rally Raid gear was untouched the bike landed on the barkbuster end bolt/washer and footpeg and I only had a slight graze on the fairing where it sticks out the most but nothing to worry about pretty impressed considering no crashbars.
    My Leatt full body armour and Neck brace kept me damage free, big bang on the lid and shredded my motocross top. What an eventful weekend.

Andy
    ErGuss likes this.
  14. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:

Forgot to post this story that happened a couple of weeks ago, bike has been fine ever since so I was definitely right about this issue:

Well 21000 kms and it finally bit me, after a two day weekend ride I was on the home stretch just short of Mount Mee at Neurum and I throttled off to turn and she just stopped, no go.
    Tried adding some fuel just in case but qty was good anyway, Changed my high pressure fuel filter as it is external and takes two secs. The fuel pump could be heard and there was flow at the filter but couldn't tell if it was sufficient pressure. So best guess is blocked injector or pump.

Those who know me know I have taken EVERY precaution, I always fill from the servo through a Mr Funnel Filter, I have a low pressure fuel filter from the front tanks and a profilter sock on pump inlet that is changed every service, my internal high pressure filter has been replaced by an external high pressure filter which is also changed every service so it is going to be interesting to see what it is.

First thing I will do is measure the pressure output from the pump just to isolate whether it is pump or injector.

Because we were so close to home it wasn't worth messing about so I used my RACQ Ultra to get me home but never realised that if you are between 50 and 100km from home they will only pay the first 50, if I was over 100km away it would have been all free. Luckily Bumblebee was with me and I guess we had the first ever paraplegic on a quad towing a busted KTM in. All was good until Woodford when we came across a Roadside RBT Cop but luckily saw them and ducked into CJ Pastries but not without almost crashing in the heat of the moment, way toooooooo much excitement for one day. Got the bike too within 50kms so got the RACQ tilt tray for free. they were going to charge $95 because I was 15km over the 50km mark. Stupid rule.

When I got home I found the fuel pressure was good only problem is it just decided to start, so looks like I have a 690 "shutting down in the bush problem".
    Just to be safe I thought I'd check the sparkplug, coil earths and connections and all seemed good so it looks like I will clean the injector anyway just in case and with the airbox off have a bloody good look around everything.

I found the issue, low coolant, looks like a reasonable leak as it’s down to half level in the actual radiator. The bike engine didn't seem hot when it shut down or when I was working on it and it certainly runs fine now so I guess the ECUs monitor water temp and will shut it down if it gets high. Looks like a stone hit just above my Rad Guard, they have a cut out at the top, just unlucky I guess, The Radiator shop was able to repair it and now I have put extra gauze up the top of the radiator to fill the small gap left by the rad guard.

The FI obviously monitors water temp as one of its blink codes is for the Water Temp Sensor "out of range" I presume either fully open or closed circuit would trigger the flashing FI light.
    From some statements ref the dual ECU control on these engines it appears one controls the throttle input and one checks all the parameters to ensure the requested fuel doesn't exceed limits and schedules accordingly. If it sees an impending overtemp and shuts it down on the safe side before engine damage, this may explain the numerous shutdowns reported when the bike then starts again after a period of time, i.e. when it has cooled down.
    Would be interesting if we could find out from the FI mob Keihin what the ECU shutdowns are as this would dispel a lot of myths with this machine. Obviously if we all had the KTM Diagnostic Units they would probably tell us straight away.

Andy
  15. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:

Decided to remake my Roll Map,

Used a Jaycar Jiffy Box 158 x 95 x 53mm

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HB6011

Replaced the lid with a piece of clear Perspex.
    Used 9.5mm Teak Dowel with coke bottle tops screwed and araldited running in rubber grommets.
    Cheap but with a KTM sticker looks the goods I reckon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:

On the TK Memorial ride for the first time I had my tank bag bounce forward and turn my key off, I had read about this before but in 23000kms never had it happen to me. Of course once it happened it did it again 4 times each time catching me out in the worst sections with riders right behind me, anyway time for another mod.
    Put this plate in, that should stop it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    sprouty115 likes this.
  17. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:

The warranty is up now so time to do my own services so did the valve adjustment today and got them spot on then decided to remove the SAS System.

Made up a blank for the valve cover and removed the solenoid , piping and junction box, blanked the one airbox connection and joined the engine case breather straight to the other.

As many had said the SAS operation is redundant with the Akro map I just cut off the electrical plug and tidied the cables into the loom, looks much neater now with all that crap gone and no FI light means they were right so no resistor needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:

I decided to give the bike a good service as it goes out of warranty in a couple of weeks and I wanted to make sure there was nothing going on that they wouldn't be found at the dealers.
    I changed all the wheel bearings as a precaution but found all removed bearings were in good nick well protected by the heaps of marine grease forced in at every wheel removal.
    Steering head bearings and all rear swingarm bearings were still holding their grease well.

The valve clearances were 0.076 both inlet and 0.102 exhaust. I reshimmed the inlets to 0.102 as they obviously get smaller with wear. I left the exhausts alone as they are already on the max shim size.
    I chose to change out the fuel pump to use my spare CA Cycleworks pump and now keep the removed original as a back up spare, I drowned it in WD 40 to stop the internals rotting. I changed my profilter sock on the pump inlet and was pleasantly surprised that the grey residue I have seen before was not there this time so I guess it must have leached out of the tank material originally but is now finished doing that.

As mentioned I pulled the SAS kit off. Otherwise everything looks good with no cracks or loose anything except the top rear shock mount had come loose again even though it was loctited, its seems hard to get the torx bolts that tight. So all looks good for another 25000km.
  19. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:

Got my injector cleaned this morning by a mobile guy Jay who has his own business "Brisbane Fuel Injection Services" 0448 500 800, decided now to do this each service. He charged me $45 as he was local, normal min charge is $60. He showed me the spray pattern before and after and the change in delivery flow timed over 30secs and it was improved so I reckon well worthwhile.

Andy
  20. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:

Went for a ride again and had another shutdown.
    I had been riding for about 6 hours in various terrain monitoring temps and it never budged over 3 bars. I had done about 350km. I had to fuel with 91 octane as the servo had run out of premium but it was only half a tank and the rest was 98. It was about 70km after the fuel up and I was heading home on tarmac, so I don't think its related, the bike started doing the occasional misfire, I had to pull in to a servo to pump the tyres up and thought if it was temp related it would cool it off a bit. I checked my external filter and it was warm but not hot. A bit further down the road it started missing again so pulled in at the next servo and decided to fuel up with some fresh 98 octane which would also be cold fuel plus another 10 min cool off. Made no difference and it kept misfiring occasionally until about 10km further on I slowed for a turn and it shutdown. Seems to only allow a full shutdown when you get off the gas, maybe set that way for safety.
    Thought I would just let it cool and do nothing to see if it was time or temp related but still nothing after half an hour.
    I tried the throttle reset procedure to see if it might reset any ECU hard fault that maybe stopping it but nothing.
    Decided to do the same process that I did last time and checked the fuel line out of the external fuel filter and pressure was good. Pulled the tank off to access the spark plug and pulled it out but this time no spark. Checked the coil connections and earth but all good. So decided to put it back together and call a tow truck.
    After putting it back together it started, fug, not a cough and a splutter just a straight forward start as if nothing had happened. This was about 90 mins after shutdown. Not sure if it went on just hitting the start or after I played with the gear selector as the neutral switch was the only other thing I could think off and I selected it in and out off gear.
    It is as if it has to go through some sort of reset time or sequence.

Other thought might be the pulse coil maybe breaking down under heat but OK when the core engine cools.

Anyways the one thing I forgot to do was to reconnect the white connector that you disconnect for accessing the spark plug and I found out the hard way that the connector is for the alternator and the battery went flat another 10km later, I had jumper leads and immediately knew what had happened but that little exercise ruled out any low voltage type thoughts regarding the other shutdown as the bike started fine on jumper leads and continued to run fine after disconnecting them even though the battery was flat ish.

Anyways I should get my diagnostic cable today or Monday then I can see if it can tell me what's going on.
    As this has only started since I did the precautionary fuel pump change at my last service I will swap back to my original pump as there maybe an issue with the CA Cycleworks one I fitted although the troubleshooting doesn't make that much sense but others have had similar issues that have been fixed by the pump change.

Also had a 6 in nail go through my tyre in the bush earlier and had to do a tube change, I must have pissed off the big fella upstairs or I am about to win lotto. Lucky I wasn't in a rush today and riding alone meant no pictures of the broken down Kato, so it didn't happen really.

Andy