my own personal artic dakar need info

Discussion in 'Canada' started by st0ut, May 14, 2006.

1. st0ut

st0ut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been kicking the idea in my head to start where I am in new england and head north on my bike until I hit the artic circle and back.

Due North of me is Iqaluit and I rekon another 200 miles north to the circle from there.

I am purchaing a bike for this trip is this feasible for a KLR650? Or do i need a more off road focused bike for this? is there a ferry to Iqaluit? what fuel and food support is there on Baffin Island? I plan in doing this in the summer end of july early september. So cold should not be that bad of an issue.

I am 1 year out from doing this as I will try to get a few fellow knuckleheads together to form some type of small expedition and do some training runs in Maine during november for some cold weather offroading, camping and bike TLC.

TIA st0ut
  2. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure there are no roads going up there. To ride to the circle, you will have to ride north on the west coast.
    The bears up there are white, and nasty! I wouldn't frickin camp up there.
    Ciao, Steve G.
  3. st0ut

st0ut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You mean the west coast of the hudson bay to repulse bay? or B.C?
    the latter is not an option.

As far as big ol mr polar bear.... If it was easy there would be tons of ride reports. But I think the no roads or trails is a killer. I dont want to damge the environment for my own personal checkmark.

so if this is out ducati 749 here I come. but that cmes with a different breed of bears to worry about. :lol3