My plugs

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Wandergives, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Wandergives

Wandergives Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I just completed my first boxer valve check/adjustment on my 1150 GS single spark with 18k on the clock. Not sure when previous owner had it done last. I wanted to pluck my eyes out till I figured out loosening one, actually tightened the other.

Anyway valves are done and it’s the first time I’ve had both plugs out since changing them after buying the bike last year. Left cylinder on left, right cylinder on right.

IMG_3727.jpg

Left running a little lean? Would the valve adjustment correct that?
  2. AZgman

AZgman Addicted to curves

Oddometer:
    Looks lean to me. I would clean the BBS (idle screw), clean the throttle body itself, and clean the injector. Then do a throttle body sync. I know it only has 18k on it but it is 15 years old. My suggested procedure is pretty easy to do. Good luck with it.
  3. Wandergives

Oddometer:
    Fuel injectors are new 1200 injectors as of last year. Throttle body was off last year. Throttle sync was next on the to-do list. You think the valve adjustment/sync could correct that, or even the cylinders out?
  4. Dan-M

Dan-M Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A valve adjustment and a sync (in that order) will even cylinder power output but not change mixture. Before any of that, clean the throttle plates and look for vacuum leaks.
    Those plugs don't look too terrible. If the stuff mentioned above is good and the bike runs smoothly, don't chase a ghost.
  5. JoeMongo

JoeMongo ¿Por dónde? Supporter

Oddometer:
    SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
    Those plugs look typical of your vintage of boxer. There is only one O2 sensor and the CPU feeds both cylinders the same amount of fuel (assuming the injectors are equally clean, which may be suspect in a bike your age with that few miles). So, extra care with valve adjustments and throttle body balance is a good idea for you bike.

That said, don't worry about that kind of difference in plugs. I had that for over 120K miles on my older boxers. It's OK. Run a few bottles of Techron through it over the next few months and ride the shit out of it! Those are great motors.
    j.
    ogklx400, Wandergives, AZgman and 2 others like this.
  6. AZgman

AZgman Addicted to curves

Oddometer:
    I echo what JM said about doing an "Italian tuneup". The 1150 likes to be ridden hard! I also agree that the plugs don't look too bad, but if you are looking for as close to perfection as you can get, then cleaning the fuel/air mixing system would be key to balancing the cylinders.
  7. Wandergives

Oddometer:
    The only part I'm not 100% on is removing and cleaning the BBS's. Any writeups on that? I understand there is an o-ring in there somewhere and some channels to potentially clear out. Probably won't bother with it as it sounds like I'm splitting hairs here and could end up just making a problem where there was none, but I would like to be able to visualize the procedure.
  8. JoeMongo

JoeMongo ¿Por dónde? Supporter

Oddometer:
    SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
    Yes, it is a good idea to pull the big brass air screws and clean them at the beginning of your throttle body balance. There will be some "soot" on them. I don't recall ever trying to clean the orifices though. As mentioned above, this should be done every single time you adjust valves, immediately AFTER you finish your valve check/adjust. Remember to count the turns while turning them into their stops, so you know where they started from. Then turn them back out to where you found them and perform your "at idle" idle set & vacuum balance with those screws. I seem to remember that mine were usually somewhere near 1.5 turns out from the stops, but that isn't very important. What is important is to adjust them to get the idle you want, and balanced vacuum at idle. Then you can move on to adjust the throttle cable stop on the right side TB for balanced vacuum off of idle.

If you would like to read some good descriptions of the process, go look at the R11XX tune up procedure documents at IBMWR.org or the GS specific R1100GS/R1150GS Maintenance Manual at their web site. Those reference documents were the beginning of my learning how to keep my oilheads running perfectly and I still use much of that same knowledge servicing my camhead today.
    j.
    Wandergives likes this.
  9. Wandergives

Oddometer:
    Done. Used some throttle body cleaner q tips. Simple process. Received my Digi-sync. What a fantastically designed device, right down to the built in magnet so it sticks to the tank (with rubber standoffs so it won’t scratch). Can’t wait to use it!

I haven’t had a chance to start the bike since doing the valves. I’m looking forward to see if this makes a difference in how it runs.
  10. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had not read of this gadget before... http://thedigisync.com/

Are GS riders who use it gen. impressed? It seems a fair price.
  11. chillerman

chillerman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was developed by a Honda Valkyrie rider I believe. When I owned a Valkyrie I was seriously considering buying one because it has 6 vacuum hoses for the carbs on the Valk. I ended up making my own manometer with ATF and it worked fine. If I still had the Honda I would have bought this by now. It is a quality device according to the Valkyrie forums.
    Wandergives likes this.
  12. 47ohv

47ohv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To be honest with you, the plugs look good to me. Its fuel injection. Carbs you can adjusy. I would do nothing but ride her.
  13. Wandergives

Oddometer:
    I know you can make a manometer for cheap. But I’ve never done this before and time and space are at a premium for me. This was only like $30 more than the twinmax. Probably overkill, but it self calibrates and sticks to the side of the bike and came in a nice Tupperware storage case. Plus I just think it’s a well engineered, cool toy.

The one review I found on here, it was off at first compared to a manometer, but it turned out it was due to an old battery. Once it had a new battery, worked perfectly.
    lewisjr1 likes this.
  14. Wandergives

Oddometer:
    IMG_3893.jpg