My R100RT cafe bike: the road well-traveled

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by MarsAttax, Nov 16, 2015.

1. MarsAttax

MarsAttax Upright knuckledragger

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,
    I'm several weeks into my own R100RT cafe bike retro/mod project and figured I'd do what so many helpful others have done: make a thread to document it.

Background:
    A friend took a spill on his '81 R100RT and gave up the bike (motorcycle riding in general, actually) resulting in a bike that has been intermittently parted out for (i'd guess) 10 years. An engine, frame, and wheelset remain alongside a variety of small bits. Lonely, but not forgotten, the unwitting motorcycle has new plans attached to it...to become a cafe bike.

The project is still very much in the conceptual phase. General plans are to create a center-mounted shock, change front end and brakes to Suzuki parts keeping the snowflake wheels, remove airbox, update electronics, convert to dual-plug, and install mikuni carbs.

First on the agenda is to measure up the frame, swingarm and shock before sending it out to my welder friend (everybody should have one).
    -------------------------
    I'd like to thank my dad, Edray, Houseoffubar, Kai Ju, and TDL028 for all their helpful advice in getting the project formulated in my head and for fooling me into believing this is within my power to achieve :lol2
    mattcfish likes this.
  2. Bmw4ever

Bmw4ever Caffeine Junky

Oddometer:
    cool, any pictures?
  3. MarsAttax

Oddometer:
    parts are arriving!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  4. MarsAttax

Oddometer:
    Getting WAY ahead of myself...but durn if I'm not going to draw upon these for my final paint scheme:
    https://goo.gl/3aO7JN
  5. MarsAttax

Oddometer:
    Frame mostly stripped down. Taking measurements for swingarm monoshock mod...except I needed to put the swingarm back on. Now where the heck is that thing
    [​IMG]
  6. Bmw4ever

Bmw4ever Caffeine Junky

Oddometer:
    That's very cool, paint scheme should look nice, are you going to paint the frame silver?

BTW, what shock did you buy ? Im still running my stock shock on my mono R80RT cafe convert.
  7. MarsAttax

Oddometer:
    Planning to take some photos once the rolling chassis is mocked up, lay tank and seat on for Photoshop pics to decide color scheme.

Nella and houseoffubar went with a Yamaha R1 shock and I've seen several with gsxr 600-1k shocks put there...got mine for $65 on the 'bay, so if it does not work well, I was in touch with Works shocks re: custom length and spring rates etc...but at the cost of a custom shock, I can afford to try a few barely used oem springs first
  8. MarsAttax

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I always knew rubbing stuff with my hand would be useful someday. Still have to press out the gsxr stem and replace with the stem from cognitomoto. Kit came with bearings but I need to figure out what goes where
    9Realms and Jim K in PA like this.
  9. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

What forks?
  10. MarsAttax

Oddometer:
    They are gsxr 600 forks
  11. MarsAttax

Oddometer:
    Schwartz zu silber
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  12. headtube

headtube Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very cool. :lurk
  13. MarsAttax

Oddometer:
    GSXR stem pressed out, still need to put in the adapted stem. Frame modification is the main event currently, still in planning phases with welder. Can't wait to have a rolling chassis already :nod
    oldroadie likes this.
  14. kaput13

kaput13 gasoholic

Oddometer:
    Enjoying this! Keep going.
  15. MarsAttax

Oddometer:
    Peeking into the engine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. MarsAttax

Oddometer:
    Valve covers ground through. Have to clean out metal bits, asphalt, and gravel
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  17. MarsAttax

Oddometer:
    In my boredom wanted to know if/how clip-on bars would fit the things I wanted, so worked on mocking the clutch-side minus lever/perch...in my haste slid the bar through the wrong side of fork clamp :lol2
    [​IMG]
  18. MarsAttax

Oddometer:
    Also received Edray's prototype custom axle to fit the snowflake to the GSXR forks. All looks good, just have to determine what sized axle spacers I need and possibly a custom "top hat" spacer to hold the axle in the left fork leg.

Still contemplating how best to mount the Bandit 1200 rotors to my snowflake wheel...In my research, "modern" japanese sport bikes utilize rotor carriers with an ID of 64 mm and my R100 rotor carriers have an ID of 63mm, which match the hub diameter. This extra 1mm radius means the large rotors have a sloppy fit and will need both careful measurement/drilling of new bolt holes to match that of the snowflake wheels.

I'm considering creating a spacer (to account for smaller rotor offset of the OEM brakes to new setup) with a 1 mm "lip" to give the new rotor carriers a better overall fit. It won't affect the braking function, but would look somewhat cleaner to me. Ahh, the little things :jkam
    mattcfish likes this.
  19. MarsAttax

Oddometer:
    Frame and swingarm in the hands of my welder. Will post pics once things take shape!
  20. ME 109

ME 109 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now here's a build full of good intention, a resurrection.
    What are you doing with the swing arm? A centre mount shock, or did you find a mono shock swing arm and adding the frame mount?