My ride report doing a 1000 in 24 /And life on the farm.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by LadyDraco, Dec 17, 2008.

1. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You silver tongue devil you :raabia

I just tossed my brown chaps out, and them rust one I turned in to galloping leggings . For the track many years ago..

I have them on here .. But ya can't see them :lol2
    That is Miss Kitty in the irons … Sitting on a QH stallion ( Bar Deck Sprout )
    A cree saw me working horses for another Indian in ADA ,OK.
    And he sent his whole string to us..
    Ah the good old days... I was bug boy weight then..

DSCN4064.JPG
  2. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bet they are assless chaps.
  3. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    If Lady D is wearing them, they're not assless. :wink:
  4. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:

Shame that picture is not a bit lower!

:hide
    LadyDraco likes this.
  5. LadyDraco

Oddometer:
    Well 2 weeks ago HB was brush hogging, he comes back awful fast and I see fluid shooting from the side wall of the tractor tire!
    So he gets to the shop and grabs his stop n go plug kit .
    The tractor tires are so old they now have tubes in them .The tube holds calcium for ballast with air .
    So HB plugs the hole yeah .

It worked long enough to move the tractor to where it needs to be .
    Till we can get it fixed or replaced...Back under the shed ,by the hummingbird feeders.

Well bummer can't fix it permanent .. The tire is shot ! a huge 8" crack and many more .. *sigh*
    I guess you can imagine how much one on them tires are..
    I can buy tires all the way around on both of my bikes that 6 tires for 1 tractor tire !

OH well, We need the tractor.. And fall and winter will be here before we know it !
    Thank goodness there is a local man, that comes to your farm to do the tire ,and he brings the tire for ya !

We called and made an appt... Freddy Showed 4 days later. New tire and all by himself !
    Here's the rig he comes with .

DSCN4149.JPG

He breaks the bead with this rig .Very awesome .

DSCN4133.JPG

He has an on board pump that drains the fluid out..
    And uses the boom to lift the tractor and block it up..

DSCN4134.JPG

It was truly outstanding watching him do this .. with NO help other then his rig..
    Freddy doesn't even break a sweat ! Now that's a set of spoons !

DSCN4138.JPG

More to come...Stay tuned..
    MoBill, Nixels, bobw and 2 others like this.
  6. LadyDraco

Oddometer:
    We thought he had to take the whole rim off the tractor so we had PB blaster'ed the lug nuts . LOL silly us ..
    Freddy even said he noticed we had done that … He then said ,hey I worked on this tire once before !
    HB said yes ! But not at the farm.. Down the road at FenderMenders place .. He notices his signature lining the tube with another tube !
    He said he does that on old tires ,just as an added protection to the new tube.. Good Idea... It worked for 12 yrs... That was the last time he worked on this tractor ….

DSCN4143.JPG

Almost finished getting the old off.. He also checked the other tire , he thought it look ok..
    DSCN4146.JPG
    OK off with the old and again no sweat ! Thank goodness the rim looks good..
    He even show us where he had worked on the rim that time...

DSCN4148.JPG
    New tire coming up ... And once again no help needed ..

DSCN4150.JPG

Mounting the new was even faster then removing the old..
    MoBill, bobw and MrKiwi like this.
  7. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you only replace one tire, don't you worry about speed wobble from the imbalance? :D
    Nixels, bobw, MrKiwi and 1 other person like this.
  8. LadyDraco

Oddometer:
    I was wondering if ya noticed the boom is wireless !!
    Outstanding ! What a rig.. I was impressed !
    Old and new side by side .

DSCN4151.JPG

He cleaned the rim up and hit it with air .. Added lube.. And again the rig does all the work with his guiding hand..
    He made it look so effortless.

DSCN4156.JPG

Now to get ready for the tube , He said no need to line it with the old tube , he only does that on old tires..
    DSCN4157.JPG

As with all tubes placement is very important... Don't want to pinch anything .

DSCN4159.JPG
    MoBill, Nixels, bobw and 1 other person like this.
  9. LadyDraco

Oddometer:
    I had other concerns ,like the size of treads.. While being on a hill... He added 45 lbs. of fluid , just like the other side has.
    He said don't worry about . You will not feel or notice the difference. He said the other tire was in very good shape..

Adding air and checking the bead..

DSCN4168.JPG

Adding the fluid..
    DSCN4170.JPG

He was telling us some great jokes...

DSCN4171.JPG

Back on the ground and ready to go... We got the chain back on the other day ..
    The smell of the old fluid had brought about 8 Buzzards to fly around low looking for the food.. Needless ta say they were disappointed..

DSCN4173.JPG

As I said we were very impressed how fast and well this young man worked..

I hope you enjoyed this little farm tractor tire replacement ..

I have a small video that I will load up in a day or so and will add it ...
    MoBill, Nixels, WVhillbilly and 3 others like this.
  10. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    I have a 4000 Ford, LD, it's my loader tractor, pretty darn good ol tractor, yours is in better shape than mine, mine was an industrial model used by the county, it was orange but it's blue now.

By the way we have around 16 Hummers and are on our 5th 10lb bag of sugar, every day we feed a gallon, it's the most we have ever had.
    bobw, MrKiwi and LadyDraco like this.
  11. LadyDraco

Oddometer:
    I got that Tractor in late ' 74 or early '75 it had 8 hours on it then ...
    Nixels, 1stgenfarmboy and bobw like this.
  12. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe camera angle, but it looks like the left side is taller than the right side? :dunno Probably makes no real difference when working through the mud or soft dirt.

And yes, fun to see that, thanks for sharing the pictures.
    LadyDraco likes this.
  13. ADK

ADK .........................

Oddometer:
    That's for dirt oval racing. It drives off the corner better. :deal :photog
    LadyDraco and Andrew like this.
  14. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    LadyDraco likes this.
  15. LadyDraco

Oddometer:
    Yuppers it is a tad of an optical illusion , the seat where the tree came down on it really gives the off kilter look...

HB had leaped off the tractor in time 30 yrs ago...

But it's only about a 1/2" difference.. And now that the chain is back on . It looks the same ..
    MoBill, Nixels, bobw and 1 other person like this.
  16. LadyDraco

Oddometer:
    Well we have been working on this truck and trailer getting them ready to sell..
    We took over 8 Toyota truck loads out of the trailer.To the dumpsters...
    We had been using it as storage from the move 14yrs ago...
    Funny we threw out just about every thing...Critters had gotten in a ate a bunch of our books and other stuff..
    We washed and compounded the outside of the trailer. now to wash the inside ...
    Still a good looking rig...
    We started taking the Plexi-glass out that we installed..
    I wish I had a before & after shot ...The trailer was full of lichen ..lol

DSCN4309.JPG

DSCN4311.JPG
    DunkingBird, MrKiwi and Nixels like this.
  17. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    that's an impressive setup.
    LadyDraco likes this.
  18. LadyDraco

Oddometer:
    OK I moved this from the Interview thread To here ..
    As requested ,

Working on my first trip cross country on the Valk..
    We were on the road from Sept 3rd to the 25th 2002...
    We were living in BlueGrass at the time and had a good mate and his family that farm sat for us..
    As they too were farmers/ranchers . Lived 2+ miles up the road.
    So the farm & house will be in very capable hands for our trip.. Sure do miss them...

Our neighbor invited themselves along. Yuppers ya heard right.
    And so started the (Trip from Hell)
    HB walked in to their place of business one day, that was a convent store and gas station.
    Now we were acquaintances with them.. And they had asked what we are up too.
    Don said we are heading out west in a few weeks ..
    Well the hubby hollers to the wife heyyyy Don & Tracy are heading out west ya want to go !

HB came back home and said OH my gosh ,what just happened ! That's when he told me ..
    Now they are a nice enough couple, Born and raised mountain folk . But 23 days !!! That's a long time with greenhorns ...
    HB helped them get their '90 GW about 2 yrs back. They even picked up a nice trailer.
    That's a whole story in itself .

Well ; they didn't have any camping gear ,tents you name it...They needed it all.
    So they asked us if we could help them out finding all the stuff they needed..
    And we did.. ( Another horror story there too. rolls eyes )

We had left early'ish but had to turn around as they forgotten their ID's .. :fpalm
    We did ok the first day got 540 miles in . Stopped just outside of Nashville.. Camped for the night.
    G & K did ok.. They were tired . And a little body weary.

The next morning we hit the road about 7am.. HB & I waited around ,as we had been packed up and ready @ 5:30 ..
    All was going well , till about dinner time . We had stopped at rest area on the AR line .
    When G walks up to Don and says "I think I have a flat on the trailer" ..
    Well it was flat .. Don asked him if he had checked the trailer out, before they left . And G said I'm a trucker I can just look at tires and see that they are OK .. Now HB was a little ticked about that as he told G to check the trailer like (pull wheels and pack bearings )
    (Back story G he was also a logger and a hauler , had 4 big log trucks skidders loaders and 2 farms , and the other business that the wife ran )
    He had packed NO tools ! No lug wrench nothing .. Our sockets didn't fit his trailer lug nuts ( packed for our bikes not his)
    Good thing we were at a rest stop .. G goes around asking folks for a lug wrench.. Luckily an older gentlemen had all that G needed. And a compressor ..
    We go to put the spare trailer tire on ,and you guessed it ~ it doesn't fit !!!
    In all the years he had the trailer he never checked it out .. So they aired up the bad tire ,G mounted it back on the trailer and HB felt they could limp it to a service station a few miles up the road..

Well that would have worked if G didn't put the tire on backwards..
    :fpalm

So the valve steam kept hitting the axle and ripped it off.. We did get to a little station .
    They told us about a Honda Shop 96 miles from LittleRock.
    We ask the station to just swap the good tire and stick it on the other rim … They did and 3 h later we are back on the road..
    We made it to Our old town of Sallisaw Ok and camped for the night at the KOA .. What a bloody messed that day was ..
    Sept 5th Rain put a damper on things but we packed up and hit the road a little late 8 am …
    We all got in to some bad fuel and all bikes were running crappy, back firing .. A little dry gas helped that...

More to come ..

It's a good thing I had kept a journal ….
  19. LadyDraco

Oddometer:
    Riding through TX we took our helmets off a few times. open road no traffic ..
    It was enjoyable afew times. Yes we always picked our places and areas ..
    Stopped for the night a little KOA in TX ,pulled in late ..
    Put tents up in the dark. Had lanterns going ..
    Now I have always put our names or initials in ditty bags and such..
    (I guess from the days of showing horses you put a mark or names on everything) ..
    I'm a pretty neat camper per say . Keep track of item and putting stuff in the tent or bike..

Well ya'll remember we helped them with camping stuff.. So a lot of looks the same .Kindasortof ...
    So K is looking all over for her padded ditty bag for lantern .. See ours at the tent and grabs it.
    Now my lantern is already in it.. HB says that not yours ..
    LOL ,she insists is hers... HB shows her the name in side ,she says we just did that ..
    The G comes by and tells K that's not yours , It's theirs it's a little different then ours..
    At this point she's yelling stomping around that we took hers and changed it..
    HB pulls G aside and says ya better get your wife under control... He shrugged his shoulders and said that's how she can be..
    So G starts shining a light around and finds theirs under the table...
    HB & I head to the showers.. We both could not believe what we had just witness .. It was insane .
    The next morning she finally apologized about accusing us of taking her ditty bag .
    Crazy is all I can say …

We told them from the get go that we would break off for a few days .. And join back up..
    That never flew well with them .. So we felt we would have to pick our time to make that break..
    But don't know when ..
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Riding across the panhandle of TX was flat and full of feed lots . Very sad ..IMHO...
    Armadillo's are not as fast as they think... There sure were a lot of bodies on the shoulders...Sad

Made it to Tucumcari NM.. Another KOA.. It's a pretty nice KOA as they go..
    I had packed myself salad for most of the trip ..To make my meals easy . I was starting to run low about a half a sack .
    That should last me about 2 more meals .
    As ya'll knew I don't eat what everyone else eats.. G & K brought cold cuts .
    Unfortunately they mixed the meats and cheese together . That left me out from eating any of it...

LOL It's after 10 pm G walks up us and says ya think there is a store open some where ?
    Why ? HB said K wants a salad ..HB looks around and said it's 10:30 pm in the middle of bum F*ck NM .Do you see any stores !
    So I said well she can have some of mine , I have enough for a few meals.
    With that K dumps the whole bag in to her bowl that spills over and on to table and the ground .
    She takes 2 bites and tosses the rest away ! WTF !
    I looked at her and said K ,why did ya take all the salad ? You said I can have some .Yeah some NOT all..
    At that point I just walked away turned to HB and said I'm going to take a shower... Don says wait I'll walk with ya I need one too ..
    We chatted on the way . Talking about what tomorrow was going to bring heading to Roswell ! Yeah ..Couldn't wait ! I always wanted to go there...
    G & K also decided took a shower... Yeah they do everything we do now.. It gets kind of funny later on as we start to f*ck with them .
    Don waits for me outside .. I come out and as we walk back he starts to tell me that K walked in to the men's room to tell G to go get her shower shoes ...She left them at the tent ..
    I said to Don what did he do? Don said he left in the middle of his shower and went back to their tent and got her shoes...
    LOL . I looked at him with a disbelief look shook my head .. He said yeah how about that . Talk about spoiled ..
    We both laughed about it.. The next morning I got up about 4 am and did laundry .. I just love dawn , and in the desert area it's just so different the smells and sounds.. No one was stirring ..I was at peace .. And totally enjoying it ..

Made coffee woke HB ..packed up and we all were off to Roswell .. G & K never heard of Roswell...
    We just had to stop on on US 666 It just so long and flattish looking .. My bike once again was having backfiring issues.

4 US 666.jpg
    [​IMG]

Don grabbed a hand full of dirt .. For that classic pic ..

5 New Mexico.jpg

[​IMG]

We were having a blast , we were like 2 kids .We couldn't stop smiling …

6 Roswell.jpg
    [​IMG]

Ya just have to do the goofy stuff sometimes.. And we were eating it up...

7.jpg

[​IMG]

We went in to the Museums...

11.jpg
    [​IMG]

We just had ta Visit the Crash site café .

89 Crash Site Cafe Roswell.jpg
    [​IMG]

It's so corny it's cool ….

90.jpg

[​IMG]

The inside is out of this world … LOL
    93.jpg
    [​IMG]

There is so much ta see inside .. Ya know one of them places the more ya look the more ya see...

95.jpg [​IMG]

That's G .. I think they enjoyed Roswell ….

94.jpg [​IMG]

More ta come …
  20. LadyDraco

Oddometer:
    We worked our way to
    Albuquerque[FONT=Tahoma,Geneva,sans-serif],
    Santa Fe ,
    Stopping here and there ..
    This is by the Rio Salado Sand Dunes..

[​IMG]

We just moseyed around taking no name roads ..
    Seeing the desert a bit.. Saw plenty of Hot air balloons in the early morning Outside Of Albuquerque.
    I have pic But I can't find them It was pretty cool ..

We made a call to our Honda shop in VA , Just to see if our mate had any ideas on what was going on with it's
    poor running .. He said something about banging a little black box under the seat.. That seemed to work...
    Bike started to run better.. Gary said something about it sticking in the heat ? Ya what ever .. I was just glad it seemed to help.
    More KOA's This last one K was not happy about , And pouted all day about it ..
    We started to make our way North ...Heading to Ship rock. and the four corners..
    Of course Need that pic of Shiprock

[​IMG]

Gosh it's so cool looking … I sure would have liked to walk to it …

[​IMG]

Four Corners .. Only to find out it 's really not in the right place lol
    Of course had to get the bikes in the pic.

[​IMG]

Next stop Cortez for the night it was raining so we felt like a hotel would be good.
    And then Mesa Verde come morning .. We both were pretty excited about see this place ..
    [​IMG]

We noticed we were up to 8000 elv...

[​IMG]

Note the buzzard at eye level LOL...

[​IMG]

Getting to in to the dwellings was just outstanding ! The Kiva's were great .. It's amazing knowing how old these were.
    We were just eating it up...

[​IMG]

That red stuff is the residue left over from the fires the year before.
    My gosh just look at how cool that is …
    I would love to live in them …

[​IMG]

Just seeing this all over again ,I'm still in awww ...And amazement...

[​IMG]

Next stop Arches ….
    [/FONT]