My rides, My bikes a 50 year adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by augiedog, Oct 8, 2018.

1. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good RR
  2. Crash217

Crash217 The short guy with a beard

Oddometer:
    Good Read, Thank you for sharing!
  3. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the lapse in my blog. I was involved in a serious bike accident a few months back and have some problems getting healed up and back on my feet. I was hit broadside on my right side as I was going thru an intersection about 35 mph by a teanager in a jeep who ran a stop sign going about 50. I was on a 2013 Ultra Classic. It wrapped the front crash bar around my leg pinning me to the bike, throwing me and the bike into the ditch. I received a lot of damage to my right side, broken ribs, right color bone, ankle, severe shoulder damage and some minor cuts and bad bruises. I also received a serious concussion. As of now I have no memory of the accident or anything that followed for several weeks. I never saw the vehicle, don't remember the hospital stay or coming home after the crash. I am still having some minor memory issues soreness in my lower back, shoulder, and ankle but it seems to be getting better with time. I have replaced the Ultra, which was totaled with a Road King and am riding every day again. I decided on the Road King as it is lighter and much easier to handle at low speed. I also have a 2017 KLR 650 and last weekend a friend and I who also rides a KLR did a 500 mile loop up to and around the Great Smokie Mountians Park. It was my first long ride since the accident and all went well. Here is a picture of my new Road King and my KLR. dec. rides 251.JPG

SAM_0767 (1).JPG

Mr Head, rafatc88, zoid and 12 others like this.
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Glad you were able to come out of the accident with your body (mostly) and riding spirit intact.
  5. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, hell . . .
    Been waiting for the rest of your saga and wonderin' what was up. Keep on healing and riding and fill us in when convenient. :clap
  6. RebornRider

RebornRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you're back in the saddle!! :-)
    Still following along.
    g
  7. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Augiedog,
    Sad to hear of your collision.
    Glad to hear of your continuing recovery.
    Looking forward to more of your excellent story.

Jathkajoe
  8. easyrider88

easyrider88 POsIng PrO

Oddometer:
    augiedog,ive had afew of the motorcycles you list.my first big bike was a 1968 bsa 650 thunderbolt in 1972.got my first sportster in 1999 a 91 1200.then i went big to a 94 hd ultra classic in 2000.i hope you heal well after youre accident.
    augiedog likes this.
  9. davide

davide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have my respect for jumping back on the iron horse without missing a beat after being knocked down hard! Enjoying your posts and your insight in the mc scene. Heal well and ride safe!
  10. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still here as well Augie. Bummer bout the stupid Jeep driver. Wishing you a complete recovery.
  11. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome back! I hope young Mario Andretti's insurance company bought you at least one of those fine new machines...may all your future rides just be scenic and peaceful! :beer
  12. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    I would like to thank everyone for the kind words and well wishes after my accident. I am going to pick up with my story in the late 90s. I had spent the last 10 years raising 2 children, and working a job that kept on the road out of town most of the time. Not long after my youngest daughter left home I became divorced and returned to living alone. I had been working for NASCAR and several smaller transportation companies involved in the racing world. After the divorce I got back into motorcycles spending most all my free time riding and traveling as much as possible. I would take off every chance I could and spend several weeks at a time just riding around the US. I had seen a lot of interesting places thru the windshields of those haulers and enjoyed going back and spending more time visiting many of them. I had a friend who rode a lot and he and I would share stories about bike trips quiet often. Sometime around 1992 he became interested in a group of riders called the Iron Butt Association. After going to several of their events or rallys as they called them It wasn't long before I too began entering and riding these rallys all over the country. There was never any money or awards paid. All the winner ever got was the respect and recognition of other riders in the association. As the association grew they began holding a National rally of their own in August every odd year. It soon became known as The Iron Butt Rally. It was an invitation only event with riders being selected by completing different endurance rides the association awarded certificates for, such as The Saddle Sore 1000, The Bun Burner Gold, and many others. The more awards you had the more likely you were to get selected to run the big rally. Also winning or finishing well in any of the smaller ralleys went a long way in getting in the big rally. The Iron Butt Rally was an 11 day event of not less that 11,000 miles. After earning several endurance awards and winning some local rallys I got selected to run in the 2003 Iron Butt. I had to drop out with mechanical issues the last day. I built a rally bike in 2004 hoping to compete again in the Big rally but due to the expense and high entry fee I was unable to ride. Here is a picture of the FZ-! I built for rallies and endurance riding. IMAG0036_zpsa9a1f3ce rally fz1.JPG
    Mr Head, zoid, Fenianbastard and 12 others like this.
  13. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worldwide, home based in the United States
    augiedog, recover well brother. Looking forward to reading more.
  14. Go1234

Go1234 n00b

Oddometer:
    What happened to your other two children. Our of all 4 you never raised any. Stories are pure fiction
  15. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heal well!
  16. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great stories all.Army jacket,open face Bell helmet gardening gloves,lineman boots.That was the uniform back then.Sorry about the crash.
  17. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. I'm an old fart too. Army field jacket, combat boots, open face helmet with a snap on shield - btdt. My first cross country trip was on '82 Suzuki GS650G with my army sleeping bag and pad in an army waterproof bag, with one change of clothes. Toothbrush in my jacket pocket.

Those were the days!
    bajaburro likes this.
  18. Drybones

Drybones Fish bones are on my truck seat cover, too

Oddometer:
    I had one of those GS650Gs and a cool tent to match.
    [​IMG]
    Fenianbastard and mrbreeze like this.
  19. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your accident and I hope you make a full recovery and are able to continue your motorcycle adventures.

I'm not quite your age but I do remember riding in the age before decent riding gear, GPS, cell phones and internet. I don't think younger riders often comprehend how much more challenging traveling on a motorcycle was back then. It's amazing you were able to complete that first trip without freezing to death!

Great job writing this up with very few pictures. I did a similar ride report but had a reasonable number of old pictures I could scan and compensate for my lack of writing skills.

I'm in for the rest of the story.:lurk
  20. Vrode

Vrode Not my problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn, sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you're up and posting though. I too set up a Gen1 FZ1 for sporty touring. I moved on to a Tenere now, but my age is starting to show and smaller and lighter is in the cards I think.
    Injuries suck, heal up quickest!!