My rides, My bikes a 50 year adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by augiedog, Oct 8, 2018.

1. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    augidog thanks for the rr i am a little younger but do remember cold wet riding before proper gear was invented. ride a goldwing for those iron butts thesesdays. glad to hear you are back on a bike, hopefully feeling well
    john
  2. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am greatly enjoying this thread, being 54 I fall a little on older school and little on the modern. My first bike being at 15 and pretty much having had one most of the time since. Some nice bikes some less memorable, finance depending for many years. Looking forward to the next instalment, until then keep your eyes open for those dumb boys in Jeeps. Be safe all you guys in fact.
    bobw likes this.
  3. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    I am going to continue with this thread now. I thank everyone for following along. Due to some health problems I have not posted much this year. Not long after my accident I had some serious health issues, ended up having a triple heart bypass in May. I began riding again in Sept and continue to do well. I have recently made several multi day rides and am back on the bike full time now. A few days before my heart attack I was preparing to go to Alaska with a fellow inmate and close friend Opa. He ended up going on alone as I followed along at home recovering. I am glad he went on alone. I have made 3 trips to Alaska two of them alone and talked him into going on alone. He had a great trip covering around 10,000 miles meeting and riding with inmates along the way. He and I have been riding together quiet a few years now and have made many trips to the west coast, northwest, and up to Maine over the last few years. He and I are already planning another trip to Alaska together. It is seldom you are able to find someone you can ride and spend time doing what you both love. This is my friend Opa. We have ridden thousands and thousands of miles together in the last ten years. phone pictures 314.jpg phone pictures 322.jpg
  4. Vrode

Vrode Wait....what?

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you up and about on 2 wheels!
    Here’s to a happy, healthy 2020.
    The Opa likes this.
  5. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    Here's one of Augie as we head down the hill from Devil Anse Hatfield's grave. An October ride to West Virginia

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Glad you are getting back to health. Hope you have many years of riding ahead of you.
    The Opa likes this.
  7. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    In 2002 I bought a new 1800 Gold Wing and began doing a lot of long distance touring all over the US. I was working a truck driving job that allowed me to work a 3 day work week allowing me to do a lot of multi-day rides. Having five weeks vacation and working 3 day weeks I could get a good amount of time off and spent most of it touring all over the US , Canada , and several trips into Mexico. I got interested in the Iron Butt rally rides again, The Cape Fear in NC, The Mason Dixon in PA, The Team Strange in Nebraska. The Butt Lite in Nebraska, The Land of Enchantment in New Mexico, Ed's Last Resort Rally in Ga and The Bite the Bullet on Calif. I became friends with many other Iron Butt riders and spent a lot of time riding and visiting may of them all over the country. I had a friend in my hometown that introduced into the rally scene and taught me a lot about building a rally bike and what it took to be a serious competitor. I would go with him where he was helping score the riders riding in the Iron Butt. It is a 14 day rally in which a rider might ride from coast to coast 3 or 4 times, cross into Canada and even go into Alaska. There would be 3 or 4 check points where each rider was scored and received bonus points. It is not unusual for riders to spend thousands of dollars to compete in the Iron Butt. A competitive rally bike today can cost 30,000 dollars or more. phone pictures 361.jpg phone pictures 396.jpg phone pictures 366 - Copy.jpg
  8. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    old pictures 003.jpg After chasing the Iron Butt rallies around the country for four or so years I was introduced to the Adv the adventure riding community. After a lot of research and talking to other adv riders I bought my first adv bike. It was a lightly used 2002 KLR 650. Here is a picture right after I got it.
  9. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    Soon after I began installing crash bars, an engine guard, saddle bags, tall windshield, a gps and other electrical gadgets. I started out riding a lot of gravel and forest service roads, camping along the way. I spent the a lot of time on that old bike. Every time I got a few days off I would spend them riding and camping. I still had my FZ-1 and rode it some but the KLR became my favorite. An old friend mentioned he was interested in going to Alaska and talked me into in going with him. He bought a FZ and we left out together headed for the arctic circle. This was us on our way. [/ATTACH] phone pictures 525.JPG phone pictures 536.JPG
    husqvarna, The Opa, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  10. mikerthebiker

mikerthebiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Augiedog,
    What about that Sporty you owned with the high pipes? That was a good looking HD. If I had the details, I’d start building one tomorrow! Care to share?
  11. Hakatan

Hakatan quality > quantity

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Augie. This is a great report. I hope you continue to heal, get stronger and keep posting.

My first big ride was 20 years after yours...but I’m grateful in retrospect that I started riding before GPS, Gore-Tex and smart phones were commonplace. I felt a wonderful satisfaction to figuring stuff out on my own as I made my way west.

1A4779BD-74EC-46AD-8E40-3BB9089FFDFE.jpeg
  12. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    That is an old picture of the sign on the parkway. I had forgotten how much it has changed over the years. I go by it quiet often. Here is a recent picture. phone pictures 412.jpg
  13. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    My friend Rick and I spent 2 weeks in Alaska on those FZ's. We had a lot of flat tires with the soft tires in the gravel. At one point I had four or five plugs in one tire and Rick had several in his also. We ended up buying tires in Fairbanks. I think we paid over 300 each. We really didn't have much info on what the roads were like and were not sure what route we were going to take. It was kind of a fly by the seat of your pants trip. We rode over 6000 miles in Alaska and Canada camping most of the time. I bought my first heated jacket in Whitehorse Yukon on that trip. I never made another long trip without heated gear to this day. Here are a few pictures from that trip. phone pictures 352.jpg phone pictures 353.jpg phone pictures 424.JPG
    NitroRoo, Hakatan, Vrode and 2 others like this.
  14. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    phone pictures 539.JPG phone pictures 537.JPG phone pictures 530.JPG phone pictures 529.JPG

Attached Files:

The Opa, Nicknewb, HPPants and 3 others like this.
  15. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    I will never forget that trip. I have since made several more trips back to Alaska but none will ever be like that first one. We really had no idea what to expect. We had a lot of bad roads, rain, sleet, snow, terrible frost heaves, the mosquitoes were as big as Dragon Flies and mile after mile of road construction watered down with calcium chloride.
  16. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    In 2002 I bought my first big touring bike, a new 1800 Gold Wing. I had recently started seeing a girl whose dad owned a motorcycle dealer and she began riding a lot with me. We began doing a lot of over-nite and long weekend trips together. I really liked the Gold Wing. It was very smooth, fast and handled like a sport bike. I was the perfect two up touring. We would take off most every weekend riding all over NC, Va, Tenn, and Ga. It wasn't unusual for us to ride six to eight hundred miles in a long weekend. We made several trips to the NC outer banks, riding the ferries south down the coast to Myrtle Beach and back home. We took a 2 week trip to Nova Scotia, catching the big Cat Ferry in Banger Maine to Yarmouth NS. From there we rode all the way around into Ontario coming back down thru Canada, into New York, down thru the Thousand Islands region into Pa and back home. It was a great trip.
    The Opa, rufus and Stubanger like this.