My rides, My bikes a 50 year adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by augiedog, Oct 8, 2018.

1. keithg

keithg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AWESUM!
  2. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    After riding the FZ-1 for several years I sold it and bought an almost new Honda ST-1300 sport touring bike. I kept the Gold Wing for 2 up travel and began doing a lot of long distance traveling solo on the ST. It was a great bike for solo touring. I made several trips out thru the northwest, down into southern California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. I even rode in several Iron Butt Rallies on the ST 1300. I have always been interested in the In the Old wild west and loved visiting the old towns you see in the cowboy movies from back in the 1800's. It is always amazing to me how the old cowboys were able to travel the vast open areas and survive the harsh desert areas on horseback with no more than a canteen and a bedroll. Most people nowdays have no idea how much open country there still is in the southwest US or how vast it really is. You cannot explain how or what it is like without going there and seeing it for yourself. Traveling cross country on a motorcycle is like nothing else you will ever experience. The sights, sounds and smells are magnified tenfold riding out in the open on a motorcycle. I feel blessed every day to be able to ride and enjoy the sights and sounds I see on every trip I take. Here are a few of my hunderds of favorite pictures taken out west. phone pictures 197.jpg phone pictures 200.jpg phone pictures 220.jpg phone pictures 291.jpg phone pictures 484.JPG phone pictures 571.JPG
    Stubanger, Mr Head, lunchmeat and 5 others like this.
  3. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    I once again in 2006 suffered thru another divorce,moved into a small camper and began traveling alone spending most every spare moment I had riding my motorcycles. I guess you could say I finally come to the conclusion married life wasn't me. It was about that time I seriously began considering traveling and living off a motorcycle. I was still working driving a truck traveling all over the US and Canada. With my vacation and personal days I had accumulated over seven weeks I could take off from work with pay. Every chance I could I would take a ten day trip on the bike somewhere. The more I traveled the more I hated to come home. I was basically living In a truck sleeper while working and a tent while traveling on the motorcycle. I began to get rid of a lot of personal Items I never used and had no interest in any longer. I gave away Tools, furniture, clothes, old bike parts, two cars, 2 mowers and a ton of fishing gear I had accumulated over the years. i realized that if I watched what I did I would be able to do what I always dreamed of doing, traveling and living off my bike. I began talking to friends about what I was planning. Some thought I was joking, others thought I was crazy. For the next three years I continued to work, traveling as much as I could constantly working toward going on the road full time as soon as I could after I retired. I meet a fellow rider-truckdriver and we began doing a lot of traveling together. We would take several long trips a year together. I retired in 2009. I would continue working part time locally for a Company hauling gas several days a week. During this time I made two more trips to Alaska. Here are a few pictures from those trips. phone pictures 545.JPG phone pictures 540.JPG phone pictures 539.JPG phone pictures 538.JPG phone pictures 531.JPG phone pictures 528.JPG

Attached Files:

Stubanger, Mr Head, Smidty and 7 others like this.
  4. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    I met the two guys on the Harleys at the junction of rt 37 where you turn to go to Hider and Stewart. They were on way home to Waco TX. One of them said they had been broke down for about 10 days two different times. He said all the mud kept blocking the air off and they kept burning up charging systems. They had been trying to get home for about two weeks he said. All their gear was in bags or in several milk crates they had tied on the back of their bikes.
    Smidty, B10Dave and AdvNuma like this.
  5. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    phone pictures 305.jpg My friend Opa and I have been doing a lot of riding for the last few years together. We have been making several long trips every year and ride locally a lot thru the week together covering several hundred miles most on most of our day trips. For the last four years we have made one or two trips each year covering thousands of miles. Opa has a son living in California and we have made many interesting routes riding five or six thousand miles all on two lane back roads going to visit him. We will drive 50 miles out of the way to stay away from a big city. On one of these trips we went south from the Carolina's to the Gulf Coast riding all the way to the Rio-Grand staying as close as we could to the Coast and riding every ferry from Alabama to Brownsville Texas. From there we followed the Rio-Grand to its headwaters in Colorado before continuing on across Utah, Wyoming, and Arizona into Calif. Stumbled across this on some back road in Texas. It was at the LBJ ranch in southern Texas. phone pictures 268.jpg
    AdvNuma, Stubanger, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  6. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    You never know what you might run across on some obscure back road in the middle of no where America. phone pictures 398.jpg phone pictures 320.jpg phone pictures 052.jpg phone pictures 054.jpg
    N22WLZ, AdvNuma, Stubanger and 7 others like this.
  7. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    We rode two thousand miles to get a fresh Lobster in Maine and saw this. phone pictures 047.jpg phone pictures 048.jpg and this. phone pictures 049.jpg
    Stubanger, B10Dave, Mr Head and 5 others like this.
  8. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having a great riding buddy may not necessarily be a 'thing of beauty' but certainly is 'a joy forever'.
    Lanis likes this.
  9. terryna

terryna Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Outstanding![​IMG]
  10. Dayypete

Dayypete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enjoying the story. Thanks for your service. Sounds like a great adventure.
  11. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    When Opa and I first meet he had a 650 BMW and I was on a Yamaha FZ-1 That I had spent several years building and ridding in Iron Butt rallies. I also had a KLR 650 and he and I began doing a lot of tag chasing and dual sporting together. IN late 2014 he got a GS 1200 and not long after I bought a 2014 Super Tenere Yamaha. We had done several long trips camping around in NC, SC, Va, Ga, and Fla and started talking and planning some longer trips west toward California and up thru the northwest. I had another friend I rode with from my hometown and He, Opa and I spent a lot of time chasing tags and riding a lot on and around the Smokey Mountains and Blue Ridge Parkway. At the time my friend (Larry) was still working and unable to get time off to go on any of our longer adventures. Opa and I began doing a lot of riding during the week and Larry would ride weekends with us. Larry and I began going to a group gathering in Charlotte NC. They had a monthly meet up at a Pizza Place and had a regular group of 20 or so riders that would regularly show up. We met and rode several rides with some of the local riders from the group. Two of the riders, Jon and Numa both on BMW 1200's began riding lots of weekends with us. Its not often you find it but we all rode and liked the same type of riding and rode at about the same pace, ( pretty aggressive for a bunch of OLDER DUDES ) we have been told. Over the last several years we have done many long day rides together covering 300 or more miles a day. We usually do one or two long day trips a month as a group. Opa and I share on the route planning and Numa is usually in charge of finding and picking the breakfast and lunch stops. Larry always brings up the rear and Jon acts as the historian and professor for the rides. They are all a great group of riders and I have enjoyed every adventure we have had together, and there has been many. Here is a few pictures from some of our rides. phone pictures 051.jpg on wilson creek near Mormiter NC phone pictures 344.JPG On the Parkway phone pictures 411.jpg
    Stubanger, B10Dave, Mr Head and 3 others like this.
  12. davide

davide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great attitude, great rides, great pics! Keep this going...
    augiedog and The Opa like this.
  13. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    thanks for the kind words
  14. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    My riding buddy Opa and I drove 18 wheelers for most of our working lives. We both travel throught the US looking thru the windshield of a big truck wondering what was just over the hill on the side streets and many back roads we passed by every day. Opa owned his own truck for many years and spent a lot of time running to California and up and down the east coast states. I spent most of my early years much the same way. In the mid 90's I took a job with Western Auto out of NC where I would pick and deliver mostly automotive and hardware goods to their chain stores all over the US. They became now what is known as Advance Auto Parts. I later worked for a large Fiber Optic , Cable Company delivering all types of electrical and internet cable to job sites and new housing sites all over the US and Canada. This gave me the chance to get off the big highways and see a lot of the more rural side of the country. I wasn't long before I began thinking about traveling around on a motorcycle and revisiting some of these places. That first trip I took solo across the country on that sporster was always in my mind and I wanted to go back out west and explore. Opa and I are doing that now, riding the rural back roads searching out and visiting the heart of America. SAM_0581-0 (1).JPG phone pictures 291.jpg phone pictures 265.jpg phone pictures 266.jpg
    Stubanger, Smidty, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  15. Slickrick

Slickrick Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report. Enjoying it. Brought back memories of riding from Seattle to Dallas & back on 76 Honda CB500F Super Sport Spring of 1980, the week after Mt St Helens erupted. Keep it coming.
  16. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
  17. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    Glad you are enjoying the report and memories. This has brought back a lot of fond times in my early days too. phone pictures 378.jpg
    Stubanger and B10Dave like this.
  18. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hard act to follow there....

From a group ride in October, 2019. We found this couple with a flat somewhere in the mountains of North Carolina. They weren't far from their home so when we got their bicycle tire spare fitted they went home to change out vehicles. From this side: Augie, Jon, Numa.

[​IMG]

From a ride Augie and I took, also last October, to West Virginia. Photo op stop near the Virginia/West Virginia border.

[​IMG]

In West Virginia

[​IMG]

Reason Augie got close enough for the above shot; we quickly got around and continued to enjoy the mountain road.

[​IMG]

JMforPres, AdvNuma, Stubanger and 3 others like this.
  19. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    As most of you know I had to cancel my trip last year to Alaska at the last minute due to some serious health issues. Well Opa and I are planning to leave around the 15th of May for about a 6 week trip from NC to Alaska and back down the west coast to southern California and back home. In sept 2013 I bought a new 2014 yamaha tenere. It was a great bike and I put over 100,000 trouble free miles on it. After having some back issues and shoulder injuries from a bike accident where I was hit hard from behind while turning I began looking and thinking about getting a smaller ADV style bike. In Feb 2019 I bought a Vee Strom 650. I spent several months farkling it out and setting it up as a serious long distance ADV tourer. 20190428_201258.jpg It was a good bike
  20. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was??