My Road to the Mexican 1000

Discussion in 'Racing' started by cavebiker, Aug 24, 2016.

1. cavebiker

cavebiker Old School Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First post on Racing forum, fired-up. There are a few heavy hitters here, I like that (I think). So here we go.
    • I read I don’t need to hot-rod my bike for Baja racing; it’s fast enough. And gearing down is a good idea to keep the bike in a sweeter R range for that terrain. I just picked up a 2000’ XR400r. I’m trying 2-teeth more in the rear, gives me 225 rpm more at 60 MPH. Is this a good idea? More?
    • I’ve seen videos of the MX1K race and it looks like a lot of riders don’t have a road book reader, some didn’t even seem to have a GPS (maybe in their pocket?) Is this for real?
    • I looked into LEADNAV and I like it for the GPS /w detailed maps. It takes 50 hours to load the entire road book into LEADNAV so because of the time in a rally format I feel I need a road book reader. Or do people just through the book in their pocket or something? (maybe dump questions but this is my first race, and this is a rally)
    • I have two Dunlop Geomax Desert RC tires to install prior to race. I will have a spare at the half way point in Loreto. I’m concerned with the ware on all the pavement in race. any better tire? Two fresh tires enough? I’m not trying to win overall or anything, I just want to survive and beat other bikers.
    • Onboard I will have a spare front tube, tube patch kit, tools to change tire and a qt of oil. Water, gateraid, gel shots and power bars for myself. Anything else? Duct tape and a toe rope and all the first aid supplies of course. ?
    This is goanna be great.

pic
    [​IMG]
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    :wave

Hi @cavebiker

I altered your thread title (a bit) to reflect your planned attempt. As it was, read more like a "rally/race" coverage thread.

good luck with your plans mate! :thumbup
    bajaboundmoto likes this.
  3. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan from Scottsdale Supporter

Oddometer:
    My son and a friend shared a stock KTM EXC-F 350 in 2012, which they won their class and were 4th overall bike. He bought the bike specifically for that event. He mounted a large tank, Michelin Desert Race tires with Michelin Bib Mousse rather than tubes. I think they had three sets of tires and used two. They may have geared the bike up a little as well. They used a Garmin Csx 60 GPS plus my electric powered roadbook holder (Touratech?). The highest speed read by the GPS was 96mph. He built a KTM 450 racer for 2013 but wrecked his shoulder practicing and never made the start. His buddy finished 7th aboard a KTM 500. Make sure you take some helmet video! Its a very cool event and seems to get bigger every year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have fun!
    RC., keepshoveling, xr400r and 2 others like this.
  4. bajaboundmoto

bajaboundmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AWESOME bike choice!

2 teeth more rear? You mean less I think.
    I'd suggest 16-45.
    Screw that air tube crap. Those Dunlop RC 81's you mentioned are good and run Bibs, done.
    RenoMoto and Baja Dad like this.
  5. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    Ok so you both geared up. I agree the XR400 feels like it has a lot more speed potential, especially if the KTM350 it hitting 95, I struggle hitting 85 with the stock sprockets (15/45) Even in the technical trails I shift through the gears way too fast, gearing up will help that. 16/45 it is. This is max MX1k and xr400 experience coming at me, Oh yeah..

Also sold on the Bibs. I'm good on the front tire but the rear doesn't have my size. I'm 110/100-18, the closest Bibs is 120/90-18. Any thoughts?

Most of these trails will be new to me and I'm sure just a GPS would be fine, but I still like the road book reader idea, anything to help going off course.

mil gracias amigos
  6. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm no expert, having watched JMo install the mousses in the new Michelin Desert tires last September, but she says the mousses are made to fit certain tires and probably will not last like they should if fitted in the "wrong" tire. So . . . maybe you want a different rear tire size?

Also, I recommend Bullet Proof Designs as a supplier. After being crapped on by another source (wrong mousses, one a 17"-er that fits NOTHING), BPD came thru and o'nighted the correct mousses so I could get 'em to Ensenada in time for BajaRally 3.0, barely. Unlike at least one other supplier, BPD stocks what they advertise and say they'll price match. YMMV, of course.

BPD's radiator guards are works of art, BTW.

Best of luck to ya!
    keepshoveling likes this.
  7. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    The new title is super. Thx!
  8. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Run the Dunlop AT81 120/90/18 tire and Bib !!!!!!!! with lots of tire soap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. TedG540

TedG540 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get the proper springs on the shock and forks. Then get the fork and shock oil changed.
  10. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    Never thought of that. I think of my Sportster and a wider tire will not go on, its a squeeze going on with a new standard tire. Perfect solution if it will fit and does not mess up the bike dynamic's negatively.

Do you or does anyone have experience with the XR400 running 120/90s? I may just being a wienie about this but this is a Maserati to me, my first one. I don't want the tire rubbing when it gets gnarley.

Thanks for posting this, this is great stuff here and i so want to eliminate tubes and patch kits and tire changing tools and air pumps. ( or should I should carry some of that stuff anyway?)
  11. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    Awesome, I didn't even have to ask the question, thx tedG540. Of course I'm changing the oils but I was debating on going stock springs or not. I don't even have them cranked all the way and I think their great. But northern WI is not Baja, its the big whoops where I need the big springs. Is this right? Stock springs are meant for normal riders on normal conditions, not what we are talking here.

I'm On-It man.

Shipping back three sprockets tonight and ordering two more (geared-up) and ordering a 21" Bib for my front tire and researching springs and the 120/90 rear tire fit. Again this is fun to the highest degree. (my inner Zen) "I must keep cool. I must keep focused"
    TedG540 likes this.
  12. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    The NORRA Mexican 1000 typically does not include much of the big whoops that SCORE does. You will want something fairly plush but still handles the big unexpected hits. Having your suspension "Tuned" for Baja by an expert shop who knows how to do suspension tuning for BAJA is really what you need. They will take into account your ability level as well as your weight. Some of these other guys may know of who can do the XR400 suspension, or you could try Precision Concepts and see if they can help http://precisionconceptsracing.com/
  13. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    doable.. most do use gps. Use Mousse. If you want a true rally experience and navigate via roadbook your way to cabo !! good luck !
  14. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    Sold. I will make a road book reader and use it to find Cabo. I love it! (and a GPS on the side, for when I get lost :|)
  15. TedG540

TedG540 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out the Race Tech spring calculator.

http://www.racetech.com/VehicleSearch

If you feel like dropping a grand, Factory Connection will revavle, and rebuild your shock and forks.
  16. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    Perfect, that's what I'm looking, racetech.com calculator. Fun stuff

My 2000' XR has low miles so I'm not doing a rebuild (and I'm a low budget)

Thanks a ton for all the help everyone.
  17. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    One thing,practicing riding in Baja could be a really good thing. Going there cold turkey could be a mixed bag of an experience.
    Also a 16 year old bike,is still 16 years old no matter how much its been ridden. Spares could be good.
  18. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    True, this is not a new bike.

Here is what I did / doing now.

- Chain and sprockets.
    - Tires with bibs
    - Throttle and clutch cables
    - Break pads
    - Rear wheel bearings
    - New clutch
    - Large gas tank
    - Foot pegs
    - Stator
    - Dual sport kit
    - Handlebars
    - Considering stiffer springs

Spare parts following me to the stage areas and stuff I carry onboard:
    - Chain
    - Rear tire
    - Throttle and clutch Cables (the old ones just incase)
    - Oil and filters\
    - CDI box
    - spark coil
    - Tools
    - Extra master link and chain breaker (onboard)
    - Break and clutch lever (maybe onboard)
    - Air filter and sleeves (onboard)

Advise?

I’m nervous thinking about changing the rear tire with a bib at the half way point, it sounds like a pain in the butt. I’ve been doing my own tire changes for years and always carry the tools to do it on the road. So not having to carry all that stuff sounds worth it. I will see what the pain is when my front tire bib I ordered last night comes in.

Also for sure, doing some pre-running down in Baja would be the way to go. But I must explain, I just finished a 6-month Baja windsurfing road trip with my wife (cavegirl) and they held onto my job for me (unreal!) If I save every single hour of vacation from now to race I can pull-this-off. So zero time to do runs in Baja. I do have my own Baja training grounds starting a half a mile from my front door (I live in the far northern boonies in a cabin I made). I have 8 hour loops with 70% off-road. There are rocky hills, giant bumps, twisty narrow trails and deep sand that makes me fall down if I do it wrong. My resume doesn’t have motorcycle racing in it but what it does have are rides that make I think the MX1k look tame. (I play these games in my mind all the time to get past the fear and to keep plans moving forward) I do appreciate the advice though, please don’t get me wrong. And that goes for everyone here. Thank you.

My neighborhood / Baja training grounds (this is all I got).
    [​IMG]
    It finally warmed up outside. Time to go practicing (I bought a book on off-road riding and racing skills with disciplines to practice) So now I don't just go out riding, I go out practicing. grin
  19. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    It sounds like you have the spares thing pretty well in hand,I guess it would be less stressful to have a spare wheel/tire ready to slap on.
    Having the energy to change a bib/tire during a race could be a tough thing. Ebay may have a usable wheel. It would add expense but would sure make it a smoother ride.
    JMo (& piglet) and kbear like this.
  20. triumph406

triumph406 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some suspension work will make a HUGE difference to a stock XR400 (assuming it hasn't already been done) I rode an XR400 that had the forks and shock revalved/resprung by Fineline in Huntington Beach, it was light years better than stock. If you do get it revalved, find somebody who did a lot of XR400's back in the day.