1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

My Road to the Mexican 1000

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cavebiker, Aug 24, 2016.

1. cavebiker

cavebiker Old School Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glamor Shot - Wild Heidi III
    [​IMG]
    There's still performance enhancements needed to be done to the exhaust and front end, nothing urgent just fine tuning fun stuff. I also need to find a good fender bag to reliably hold all that crap I carried in my backpack in previous races. I also want to get the bulk of my water, energy drinks and food bars in the back pack. It makes no sense to make my legs carry all that weight when i have such a nice rack. Progress continues..
    snobear, crashkorolyk and ywr969 like this.
  2. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    Fun day :johntm
    [​IMG]
    The new 3L rear fender bag goes on the bike this morning. It’s a little heavy but I like the size and shape.

[​IMG]
    I removed the survival kit, first aid kit, water flask and food bars from the backpack I carry on every ride and put them in the rear bag. This is a lot of weight that won’t be on my shoulders and legs,... liken it!

[​IMG]
    HA! It’s early and I’m all set for a 200+ mile shakeout ride. Now that I have almost all the rally stuff installed it’s time to see if I did anything wrong and to fine tune the suspension.

[​IMG]
    Apparently I didn't try to start the bike after I removed the kickstand kill switch. I Got No Spark :doh

[​IMG]
    I assumed the kickstand switch was normally closed when the stand was down and open when the stand was up. I left the circuit open and that is wrong, that is the kill mode.

OK, so I try closing the circuit by connecting the wires, still No Spark! ??

[​IMG]
    Now I look closer at the schematic and see a symbol of a diode inside the switch. I hope I didn't blow the ignition module by connecting the kill wire directly to ground without the diode. The wire goes directly to the CDI box. Hum? I confirm the kickstand switch does indeed contain a diode :wink:

[​IMG]
    I’ve been an electronic hobbyist since 10 so I have diodes. I will give that a shot.

[​IMG]
    Beautiful, electrically this is exactly like the kickstand is up position, cathode to battery ground, anode to green wire that goes to the CDI box.

Spark.

Weird, what's the purpose of the diode? Only one schematic I've seen even show it.

OK! The first big shake-out ride

[​IMG]
    15 miles into the first big shake-out ride the bike sputters and dies. I'll tell you the sinking feeling inside when the bike you are depending on to carry you 1,300 miles racing through the Baja desert suddenly dies, after 15 miles, is hard to describe. Anyway, I’m thinking I don’t like where I placed the diode, right above the cylinder head, it’s hot up there and diodes don't like heat. Da, what was I thinking. And the diode is just a standard 1 amp 1N4001. All the juice of the ignition module could be running through the thing. I have no idea how much that is. I try to calm myself by blaming the diode. It probably blew out from too much current, too much heat or both most likely.

[​IMG]
    A call to the crew chief for rescue, luckily I have cell service..

[​IMG]
    Heidi is into photographing this adventure stuff also. I'm one lucky dude View attachment 1889973

[​IMG]
    Back in the shed I confirm the diode is open, super. I thought about trying a beefier diodes but decided that would still be too big of a risk. I don't want a blown diodes in Baja.

[​IMG]
    After looking at the schematic again I conclude that because of the long wires to the kickstand switch the diode is to protect the CDI box from spurious electrical noise going backwards into the box and blowing it out. There's no AC current at the CDI so that has to be the only reason for the diode. I'm cool with that. I get rid of the long wire run, get rid of the diode and just connect the wires together. Sweet! The bike rides great, suspension seems dialed and nothing fell off on the shake out run. Liken life... :jkam
  3. Chup

Chup Namaste...Bitches

Oddometer:

I know you didn't do this shakedown ride anytime recently.... I WISH it was that green now... Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 8.00.14 PM.png
  4. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    You got me, I'm catching up. This post gets us up to date. :happay

Allright! Up here in the frozen tundra it's always a juggle of when to get out and ride and when to put in the time to work on the bike. The time is now. We had snow a week ago and this weekend is forecast to be cold. Time to get the vintage race bike done.
    [​IMG]
    The Suzuki runs great but has no POP and it's so quiet. Time to add some horsepower ;)

[​IMG]
    Final adjustments.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :0-0 I like.

[​IMG]
    It's a nice day so the old Ski Doo snowmobile, the 75' DT125 and the Suzuki DR350S gets it's carburetors cleaned and re-jetted. Of course I should be fixing the window and the foundation of the shed, but hey, I got a race to do, the window isn't going anywhere ;)

[​IMG]
    Every machine is running now and ready to rip. :happay

[​IMG]
    The power increase with the new exhaust and jets is unbelievable. I now have a solid BRAAP with the power to match and the slow throttle response i thought was from the diaphragm carb is now gone. Wow is all I can say.

Ready to Kick Ass --> NORRA Mexican 1000 2020' :super #norra1000

Alright! Here we go-->

2020 Yokohama NORRA Mexican 1000 pre-registration is open!

Reality Hits: I’m not imagining this life. We have to get ready to register for another Baja race! Crew chief Heidi and I are over the moon. Family and friends are staged for support and for the finish line. I need to kick my brain into high gear (I feel like I’ve been doing that the last six months) and finish preparations of the race bike for Baja survival, as well as finish preparing myself for Baja survival. The challenge beckons. We are caught up in the allure and mystique of Baja and Baja racing. What has happened to us!

This is a call-out to all wannabe Baja racers. NORRA is your ticket to actually doing it. Continue following DAKAR and the Baja 1000 from your computer screams. But if you want to actually get off your butt and race Baja, NORRA is the path. Start wrenching on your dune buggies, sand-rails or vintage dirt bikes and meet us down in Ensenada in April for the time of your life, guaranteed. OVER…

[​IMG]
    1971' First bike @14

[​IMG]
    2018' Second Mexican 1000 -- - Keep the dreams alive - #norra1000
    knight, roadcapDen, Chup and 7 others like this.
  5. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    wish you the best and will be following along.
    cavebiker likes this.
  6. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    I have a pic when I bumped into you in Todos Santos in the mid 90's. You still look the same and going strong! Hedi too
    cavebiker and LeeU like this.
  7. crashkorolyk

crashkorolyk just happy to ride

Oddometer:
    Brilliant prep work,looks like you`re on the right path to kick some butt!
    cavebiker likes this.
  8. speedwayPL

speedwayPL n00b

Oddometer:
    FWIW...
    I bring my dirt bike back and fort through the San Ysidro border crossing several times per year. I've only had Mexican border guards ask me for bike paperwork a couple of times. The CBP has never asked for any paperwork when coming back to San Diego.
    cavebiker likes this.
  9. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas - See ya all down in Baja :happay
    [​IMG]
    2020' here we come...
  10. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Alright! Suzuki goes into the shed after our first significant snow.

[​IMG]
    Heidi and I register for NORRA 2020' as soon as it opened. Fired-Up! Our life is consumed with everything Baja, moving down there, training down there and doing the race down there. Family and friends are 100% in. Our high-level discussions are almost daily now. Even though this is our third race the details seem to never diminish. We love that. Our discussions while at times heated are always geared toward maximizing our likelihood to finish the race, having fun and staying safe. :kumbaya

[​IMG]
    We get our number :D #102

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Time for some inside work I've been putting off. I don't like the cheap tail light and brake light I have, not very bright. I want to run some bright LEDs similar to what the race buggies in Baja run, I just don't want to spend the big bucks. I've seen at O'Reilly some super bright LED lights for a good price. I have four holes in the fender where the stock lights were so I'll have to do some fabrication but that's part of the fun, time to give it a try.

[​IMG]
    I like it and it covers the holes.

[​IMG]
    Solder longer wires on and add a grommet going out. Shrink tube the wires out / done.

[​IMG]
    YES! This is the bright I'm looking for. I'm not sure what mode to run this on. My immediate thought is to run it as a tail light, on all the time. I'll add a shut off switch for when standing around. Maybe it should flash fast when the break is on, else just on. I like that... I order a simple inexpensive 2-wire flasher module. I like the emergency vehical flash, 2-quick pulses than 2-longer pulses, repeat. I'll see what I can do. :bubba

[​IMG]
    Now I need to finish the race-book scroll reader box. I've made this before for NORRA 17' but that got stolen along with my bike after the NORRA 18' finish party. I didn't save the plans but I have a prototype base plate and photos of the first build to help out. Time to get cutting, bending and drilling :0-0

[​IMG]
    These rollers are a little heavy but worked well last time. I may look for something lighter later on.

[​IMG]
    Frame and rollers.

[​IMG]
    Perfect fit. I just need to trim the main dowels shorter than done.

[​IMG]
    I printed out a full day's race book, day-4 to make sure it can wind onto the chart box and scroll out smooth. While at it I decided to practice marking up COLOR coded notes on the race book, just like you need to do the day before the NORRA race. My first year in 17' I had no idea what i was doing, I just colored the thing up with whatever color. Of course i got severly lost and hit deep silt with no idea i was about to hit it, until after the crash I see on the race book "FRESH-FRESH" meaning SILT:johntm Anyway in 18' I took more time trying to make colors mean certain things, like RED means SILT is coming up :| But I could have done better, so practice practice. I also plan on paying more attention to how much time is allotted between race sections. Last race i was penalize a few times for being late to start (eating tacos I'm sure) so the goal is no penalties this year. I'll make big notes on times and start my watch stop watch is the plan this year.

We experienced three big snow events early this Winter along with some serious cold temperatures, perfect for skiing, sledding or snow hiking but not biking.

[​IMG]
    We just got word Rice Lake Weighing Systems, the company I work for is again sponsoring us for NORRA 2020' We are over the moon. The machine shop has already helped fabricate our navigation platform and now a local bike shop will do the rest of the work, whatever we need. How great is that. --> 'Rice Lake Weighing Systems' builder of the 'Toughest Truck Scales on Earth', world's only In-Motion Forklift weighing and the most advanced scale / industrial controllers anywhere, just to name a few.

[​IMG]
    A push up the hill and onto our new (used) trailer.

[​IMG]
    I'll drop it off at the Rice Lake shop after I get to work tomorrow. These guys have worked on my XR400R the last two races and are totally into it and psyched to do the Suzuki. :drums

[​IMG]
    Wild Heidi III getting a final makeover before heading down to Baja--- Oh Yeah :super

Stay tuned, this will be fun :thumb
    NSFW, Cal, crashkorolyk and 2 others like this.
  11. koa925

koa925 Senior Stromer

Oddometer:
    Enjoying the read, been following your previous races and will look forward to this years effort. You've met my friend Loren Davis aka firepig and his crew as well, all great guys not sure if he's racing this year, hope so , may see you down there. Great to see your company helping you out must be a great company to work for
    cavebiker likes this.
  12. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    Alright! Let’s get this party started--->

[​IMG]
    The final NORRA bike parts started arriving just before we are prepared to take off. The original plan was to buy tires and Mousse in Mexico but decided at the last minute to not risk it, not getting the exact tires/mousse I want. All good, we know several good moto mechanics in Baja who will install what we’re carrying.

[​IMG]
    All the gear I’ve been packing for months gets recompiled before stuffing into the truck. Same for Heidi, she says “This feels so normal!” packing up to leave the country for months. We are ecstatic while looking intensely into each other’s eyes. “We are doing it!”

[​IMG]
    After Cavegirl fell on the dance floor and broke her wrist at my company’s Christmas party we have been reduced to long hikes on local fire lanes trails. We can deal with that for now until we get down to Baja.

[​IMG]
    At Clyde’s Customs all our friends are in full support wanting to do anything we need to help us. So great.

[​IMG]
    Ready---

[​IMG]
    Baja Bound --> We are out of here!!!

[​IMG]
  13. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Scared me for a minute. I'm headed down now, and while I wouldn't mind seeing some of the race, didn't want to worry about the route being all beat to sh!t. Good luck!
    advrockrider and cavebiker like this.
  14. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    A cross country road trip has always been one of our favorite activities and it’s even greater when it involves crossing the Mexico border. We are heading down to race the NORRA Mexican 1000. Just the sound of that is like a dream come true. We are going down two months early so I have time to fine tune the body in Baja on a motorcycle. What kind of world do we live in. Just unreal.

Before we exit Colorado, we run into some nasty weather at a south eastern summit crossing that was covered with a fresh thin coating of ice. We proceeded super slow and make it to lower elevation without a problem. This is what we are trying to avoid.

[​IMG]
    At a nice and inexpensive hotel in Holbrook Arizona the plan is to stay put a couple days but the forecast is for super strong winds and rain. We boogie the next morning ahead of the weather.

[​IMG]
    I’ve been trying to wear down our trucks tires before we purchase new Bad Ass all terrain Baja tires. The plan is to get the new tires in Yuma where we usually stage a couple days before the border.

[​IMG]
    Closes but no cigar. 80 miles before Yuma the truck started squealing then boom, blowout.

[​IMG]
    Of course, with all the road salt used in Northern Wisconsin our spare tire ratchet would not let the spare tire lower enough to release it. I tried everything but no go. And there was no way I could hacksaw it off either. So out comes our Allstate roadside service provider to tow us to a motel in Yuma. Allstate rarely makes money on us, we have never had a new vehicle and usually drive what we have to the ground.

[​IMG]
    The next morning, I take off on a long hike to find someone who can get us a spare tire and wheel so I can drive somewhere to get four new all terrain tires. I happen upon Yuma Precision Automotive Diesel & Transmission. These guys are super with a capital S. Two hours later they delivered a used wheel and tire to our hotel with nothing from me but a hand shake, no name, no nothing, just a trust I will show up back back at the shop to pay. The next day they install four new BF Goodrich Baja All Terrain tires for way less then I expected, and that included the real spare tire and rim. Just wow!
  15. advrockrider

advrockrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where will you be hanging out at in Baja? We are headed down the first week of March, meeting up with scotsfire at some point so we might swing in and say hi, and buy you a beer or 3?
    ScotsFire likes this.
  16. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    Always nice to have fresh rubber when you head south of the border. Are you still hanging around Yuma?
  17. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    Hey advrockrider! you are on. We will be about an hour north of Cabo. I'll PM you with the details later when we get there. :happay
    ScotsFire likes this.
  18. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    For sure new rubber in Mexico is inexpensive insurance and feels good. And it even feels better knowing we have a real spare, not a donut tire that's ready to deploy if needed. Slowly making our way down through Baja enjoying the best fish tacos in the world. :strum
    [​IMG]
    Cal, roadcapDen, Bgunn and 2 others like this.
  19. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    I may hit you up before @advrockrider does. Leaving Cuatro Casas this morning, but taking the slow way south.
    cavebiker and advrockrider like this.
  20. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    Alright, Just unreal! Heidi and I have been on the road for one month today in Baja and are one hour from checking into out rental on the East Cape and are looking for a place to have lunch in Los Barriles. We turn from a dirt road onto the main drag and boom! Like 15 or 20 dirt bikers are coming straight at us on the super narrow street! Of course, I continue on pumping a peace sign out the window into the air at the bikers and the lead biker of the group is reciprocating with an even more animate hand signal. Every biker is giving us a hand sign I assume because we have our race bike #102 in the back of our pickup truck. Then the last biker is holding up his fist like he wants to fist bump. Of course, I stop dead in the road to do the bump properly and he yells out “Tim Morton says hi!!!” I say “What!” “Tim Morton says Hi!” We both scream out and say “Say hi from Heidi and Tom!” Apparently, all the stars and planets aligned again at this perfect moment in time to make this happen. We cannot believe it. We think three weeks earlier we passed Tim Morton of BajaBoundMoto.com on Baja highway 1 just south of Ensenada at a construction one-way holdup. We both hand signaled each other when we passed! Just unreal is all we can say. I truly feel my whole life has been designed to be where we are today, preparing to race a motorcycle in the Baja desert in the Mexican 1000 and the Morton’s have been deployed from somewhere to help and inspire us to actually do it. I don’t know how I could be doing this without Tim’s constant help and his wife’s inspiration. Seriously! --> check it out BajaBoundMoto.com
    [​IMG]

Anyway, shortly after lunch of the best fish tacos ever this is me, Heidi taking the pic. What the heck have I done to deserve this kind of life!
    [​IMG]

I just had to spit this one out now. WOW!