1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

My Road to the Mexican 1000

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cavebiker, Aug 24, 2016.

1. mazembe

mazembe Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Stuck in a cave or? Haha...
    cavebiker likes this.
  3. cavebiker

cavebiker Old School Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey roadcapDen! Yeah forsure keeping in the cave for a long time but now after being fully vaccinated we are like shot out of a cannon, Cavegirl and I just completed a 4,200+ mile road trip camping hiking Las vegas etc. Now it's everything to prepare for the NORRA Mexican 1000 2022!!!! Stay tuned, lots of training pics for the 2022 NORRA 1000 planned.
    roadcapDen and NSFW like this.
  4. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    The best way to train for a 5-day 1000 mile off-road motorcycle rally is to do it. Now that I missed the last two years of Baja racing (because of obvious reasons) I'm feeling the need to get out.
    North Woods 1000 Five Day Challenge
    [​IMG]
    The planned start is Wednesday June 9th ending Sunday June 13th.
    Camping and lodging will be completely on the fly. Because of the aggressive schedule I will most likely be primitive camping wherever I am when dusk hits, my favorite type of camping :*sip*
    DC950, TDC_ERock, garfey and 3 others like this.
  5. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    Alright!
    The 2021 NW1000 (North Woods 1000) Challenge is officially in the books :kumbaya
    Stats:

• Total: 1,327 miles
    • -Day1: 364 miles
    • -Day2: 332 miles
    • -Day3: 283 miles
    • -Day4: 198 miles
    • -Day5: 150 miles
    • Physical demands: Extreme
    • Navigation demands: Intense
    • Number of dumps total: 3
    • Number of dumps in water: 2
    • Number of equipment issues: 4
    • Enjoyment factor: Off the charts!
    Summary:
    The goal is to train for the next NORRA Mexican 1000, a 5 day 1,300+ mile race in Baja Mexico. The last 2 years NORRA was a wash for me for obvious reasons, but I'm not going to let that stop me. The thought is, to be better prepared physically and mentally for the next race I will chart and follow a course that is similar in length and mix of off-road challenges i.e. Special sections and Transit sections. Of course there is nothing more physical or mental then the actual race but the NW1000 proved to fit the bill for training, I don't have full use of my fingers today and my body feels fully spent, just like a real NORRA. I got lost momentarily many times during the 5 days which only added to the skill training and enjoyment level. The entire 5 days was hot just like Mexico, so I had to constantly monitor my hydration and nutrition status and take action asap so as not to bonk, which I came close to several times.

Sweet! all good, I will post a report later with pics but for now here is a map of each day with a little jaw.
    [​IMG]
    Day-1: The longest day. It started with some fantastic NWAT (North Wisconsin Adventure Trails) challenges East of Hayward ending with easier UPAT (Upper Michigan Adventure Trails) to the tip of the tip of the Keweenaw peninsula. The last 20 miles is a kick with lots of water ruts and holes. This was tough to do in one day but that was the goal. It was getting dark when I set up the tent.

[​IMG]
    Day-2: Another long day with a ton of trail closures due to bridges being out in northern UP. But that only added to the fun again using the GPS to connect up to the course again. Fun forsure and skills I definitely need to hone. Again the NWAT trials are fantastic after getting back into Wisconsin. I finally toasted out in Crandon just as planned. Another big adventure day and recommend.

[​IMG]
    DAY-3: Again a super and sic NWAT trails day with a huge shout out to the Lincoln county trails. Wow wow, challenging big hills strewn with boulders etc etc the best ever outside my home trails Earl to Bayfield. Lincoln county will forever be on my radar to repeat hopefully with Hipster or some other nuts who like this stuff. The trail finally was blocked to 'Official Vehicles only' just before the end. No problem, I was ready to be done.

[​IMG]
    Day-4: My favorite home turf ride that I have rarely completed in entirety. It is the toughest (and most fun) day by far with monster deep deep sand hills, rock fields that go forever, technical twesties and the hill climbs are the kind you can't help from hollering out loud 'Yeah!' when you make it to the top. I felt like superman like I could fly. So fun. Highly recommend but you have to be ready for battle.

[​IMG]
    Day-5: The shortest day but by no means the easiest. This Is a fantastic ride that features all of the best of my home turf trails between Earl, Drummond, Cable and Hayward. The Bear Paw trail between Barns and Drummond is not to be missed, along with the most excellent and challenging trails between Cable and Phipps. This would be a good ride to publish for people wanting to visit the Hayward area. Great riding, swim spots, watering holes, camping and good food everywhere.

The North Woods 1000 - 1st Annual. In The Books! :happay
    Spitfire44, Tomaso, dano619 and 4 others like this.
  6. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    The North Woods 1000 - Day 1 Start

[​IMG]
    Heidi is the best cheering me on all morning while quizzing me of the plan. Do you have this and that, and what is the plan etc. She does a beautiful hands in the air drop down start while cheering out. What did I do to deserve this I ask myself? Whatever it is I must continue :strum

[​IMG]
    These are new trails for me today but they feel familiar.

[​IMG]
    Lots of water but nothing I couldn't go around, usually.

[​IMG]
    Exploring new trails is always a highlight for me, especially when following blind some GPS tracks posted by a famous adventure rider and advocate of dual-sport rights, AKA Cannonshot.

[​IMG]
    I think I have done-it-all but when I see signs like these I pay attention.

[​IMG]
    A mild sample of the trail. Of course no one is about to stop at the bottom of a huge technical climb to take a pic. Inertia and momentum is your only friend on that stuff, not starting out at a cold stop.

[​IMG]
    Ok on this long wet stretch I had no option but to ride in the water. Otherwise I always opt for a dryer side route. I'm cruising along nice when all a sudden the bike is stopped dead and my body keeps flying sideways. I carry the bike with me and down we go. The bike never quit. I pull in the clutch and lift her up and try to take off. No go, the front wheel is seems to at some tall rock wall. 2nd attempt no go. 3rd attempt I back it up and let her rip pulling back on the bars. Oh yes I am out and never had to restart the bike. Soon the bike starts to sputter. Giving it gas helped. 30 seconds later she dies. I look down and see what i thought was water pouring out from under my skid plate. I smell gas and soon realize that's gas pouring out.

[​IMG]
    For some reason the fuel line from the petcock to the carburetor came off. I reconnected it, flipped on the petcock and took off. Whosh!

[​IMG]
    I normally take a pic while the bike is still down (ADV law) but laying in deep muddy water called for a quick pickup. looking at my sweet almost new license plate I'm wondering what the heck happened?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    On the trail road food, an extra Blueberry pancake, perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Historic spots. The longest established Native American community in the area.

[​IMG]
    No I didn't cross that :bubba

[​IMG]
    I dig the rarely used section of the NWAT system. You have to be 100% focused. :wink: Ya never know...

[​IMG]
    This is a long day and I'm feeling it. Stopping often to hydrate and to eat is constant. The mosquitoes are horrendous in the UP today. Jungle juice is my only hope but I'm still breathing them in just standing. I hope it's cooler near the lake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Glamor shot :jkam

[​IMG]
    I made the tip near dark and thought I had the perfect place to camp close by. Another couple in a 4wd van were there first and i wasn't about to spoil their solitude so i continued on back. They were like frozen statues just like you see the whole time I was there. I dismount, wave and say 'Hey' get out camera, move around for shots, look and decide I wouldn't like 'me' staying the night hers so i quickly buss off.

[​IMG]
    Lots of free camping along this section so i just waited for the right spot and setup camp.

[​IMG]
    10 oz of strong cold espresso coffee for the AM, food bars, nuts and tons of H2O, I am all set...

Hope you are enjoying the adventure ride in the North Woods :thumbup
  7. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hell ya.......thanks for taking us along!!!
    cavebiker likes this.
  8. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    Hey Dano! You bring back memories of Mexico and Copper Canyon. What a great thing :) Thanks man!

[​IMG]
    If you get to this sign you have been there AND are going there, no other option :evil

[​IMG]
    Bayfield is a great place. Take a ferry to Madeline island and explore, chill out at the seaside pubs and stay the night, super.

[​IMG]
    This is a big ride and I just want to complete the whole thing. Delta is a good rest spot.

[​IMG]
    I see a path to the right side. All good until that second tree close to the lip, it pushes me sideways into the water.

[​IMG]
    Landing sideways the bike keeps running. After picking it up I smell and see gas pouring out, Again! I kill it and shut off the petcock. i have to fix this permanent but not now, connect the gas back to the carburetor and let's complete this thing!

[​IMG]
    Day 5 the last day are all on home turf trails, I call this the Earl 150. I never do it the same so the hope is to do the best Earl 150 ever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Getting close to home.

[​IMG]
    I have a ton of local trails I do near Hayward and nearly spill at a deep sandy entrance to one trail. Pulled it out with under 12 miles to go.

[​IMG]
    Near Earl

[​IMG]
    Finish line. Heidi (Cavegirl) flys out with a tequila shot, just like a NORRA finish. One lucky dude right here :feelgood

[​IMG]
    North Woods 1000 in the books :jkam What's next :*sip*

[​IMG]
    Hope you enjoyed my Virtual Mexican 1000 in the USA North Woods. "If you can dream it you can do it" this ride is proof.
  9. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Yup, enjoyed! :photog
  10. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    roadcapDen thank you :thumb
    Alright! How about a few more pics :rilla

Places I turned around:
    [​IMG]
    This is day-1 after I hit the hidden and submerged rock wall that put me down in the drink, a great NWAT track. I don't trust water crossings in this section of the Chequamegon National forest now. I can't see the end of this one, I don't how long it goes or how deep it gets. I'm alone and I want to be smart. I have seen zero traffic all day and this does not feel good. I wimp-out and track around it.

[​IMG]
    This is day-3 in Lincoln county not far from the start of this most fantastic NWAT section. I was traveling in reverse so this is the end for me. I can see a path to go around but I want to show respect to the trail maintainers, this sign says Road Closed. So I track back and around.

[​IMG]
    Day-2 I have been on this forest trail I think in the UP for a long time when I come to this. It obviously was put there to stop traffic, two posts on each end with pink ribbons. Again I see a spot for a motorcycle to go around, I resist and double back to more navigation and adventure.

[​IMG]
    One crash in the sand right at a stop, the worst place for deep sand to be (remember that Tom) Breaks and sand do not mix.

[​IMG]
    This is an almost crash day-5 11 miles from the home finish. I ended up in the woods. Deep sand right at the trail start. This is a secrete out and back trail just outside of Hayward where I grew up. I am carful coming out.

[​IMG]
    First time I looked at the odometer in days, I couldn't believe it 1,322 miles almost exactly the length of the last Mexican 1000. What fun!
    ywr969, roadcapDen, knight and 4 others like this.
  11. BadPoet

BadPoet Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Oddometer:
    I always enjoy your reports. You are an inspiration. Good luck in 2022.
    - formerly @slowmovindream.
    cavebiker likes this.
  12. Ratman

Ratman Lucky Rider

Oddometer:
    When is your next competition, CB. thanks for sharing your pics and story.
    cavebiker likes this.
  13. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Phipps glamor shot with the bike :lol3

[​IMG]
    cavebiker likes this.
  14. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    April 2022 is the next Mexican 1000. NORRA allowed my registration $ from 2020 go toward 2022. So great. Hope to see you down there!

Yes Tom I thought this may spark some interest. I think you need to come up soon so we can ride together and talk about our 2022 NORRA plans :deal Did that KTM 300 arrive yet? We need pics!
    Hipster likes this.
  15. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm currently bike less, Covid has caused quite the shortage of motorcycles.
    cavebiker likes this.