1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

My Route App - Low GPS Signal

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by tennyis, Apr 20, 2020.

1. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone else have a constant flashing "LOW GPS Signal" with the my route application? I Purchased it over winter and have just been trying it out recently but that's all I get. Unable to track my rides, navigate me, etc. I know it's not my phone because Google Maps and Co-Pilot both work beautifully.

I contacted the company and that was a waste of time. They told me they have never heard of this error before and to try to reinstall the application. I've paid for 3 years, and it wasn't cheap so I'd like to make this work. I've tried reinstalling the application as well as a factory reset on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S8+).

I guess it's possible my GPS chip on my phone is ruined and other apps are just using cell towers? doesn't make much sense as they work perfectly.
  2. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get your money back. MyRoute is probably NOT what you want.
  3. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I requested a refund a week or two ago but have not heard back from them. With Coronavirus they are likely short staff/working from home, etc but i'll hopefully I will hear back soon.

I think the app is what i want, i'd prefer it to work. I love the route planning apps, and I did spend a lot of time over the winter planning routes with it. I should be in Key West Florida right now, but Corona :(
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you should look at Furkot, and try that instead. MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper, you can use the exported GPX with ANY decent mapping application, and you don't have to be locked into one app.
  5. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are a number of GPS status apps that will show how many satellites are being picked up by your phone. That should let you know if it is your phone hardware.

You payed a subscription for a routing program?
  6. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried those applications out and they all show everything is OK and other GPS apps work. Just makes no sense why my route will not.

Yes it's a subscription service. works out to around $2.50 a month over 3 years. It's very well reviewed and has a lot of advanced features I have not seen in other apps.
  7. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then it's a problem with their app, and if they aren't going to support you on a service you PAID for, then F them.
    worwig likes this.
  8. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

i looked through the Android market and found lots of applications named similarly to the one you mentioned, so i have no idea which one it is...

but i would do this before anything else:

Settings>>
    location>>>
    GPS only ("device only" on some models)

Screenshot_20200420-090545.png
    Screenshot_20200420-090550.png
    Screenshot_20200420-090554.png

if you're currently set to "High Accuracy" change it and try again. it's a falsely labeled setting, designed to get you to send data to google.
  9. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://www.myrouteapp.com/en

That is the app he is referring to.

Also, some apps will not work without stupid "high accuracy" (Radarscope refuses to locate me if I am using GPS only).
    ohgood likes this.
  10. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks guys I have high accuracy on.

I would say F them but they have about $100 of my money and i've got nothing in return so I'd prefer to get this working. And I do want the app, I just want it to work. I am thinking tonight I'll install it on my wifes phone and see if it works ok on it. If it does then I'll know its my phone. They have lots of positive reviews and came recommended by several of my riding buddies who have used it for years with no issue. I just don't understand why it wont work for me. I have used co-pilot previously and it's work flawlessly.
  11. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just signed up for the 14 day trial, and am downloading to a couple of devices. I will help test this out.
    tennyis likes this.
  12. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

i just installed the app. the first problem (which is a big one) is the application will not even show a map or your location, without you being online to confirm registration. that's a really bad idea for something you want to use offline, off-road. just a heads up.

anyway, it used my GPS location info and was correct, once i got past the subscription mess.

change your location settings as defined above, clear the applications cache, and try again
  13. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    My initial thoughts: "When was this app designed? 1998?"

It's very much focused on "finding stuff to navigate to" rather than "show me a map and let me decide what I want to do" by default.
  14. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    It definitely finds me just fine. No problems with location. It seems to route OK, but holy crap this interface is killing me. It appears to be using Here! maps, and possibly Here! search/routing. The voice is ridiculously slow to speak.
  15. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can certainly see the value in the web interface to plan the routes, and share them (if all your riding buddies are on there too). It's nice that it syncs across to the device automatically, but the app on the device seems very cumbersome to use. I loaded a GPX file I ran on Saturday, and it tried to divert a lot of the roads that I was on, indicating they are unrouteable, but Locus had no problems (graphopper) routing me down those roads (I created the entire trip in Locus). It basically took my track with waypoints, and tried to change it to what it thought I wanted. I can change the routing and the maps used from the website on the planner, but cannot change what map is used on the device.

Overall I see some good and some bad with this setup. I may continue to try the route planner, but the app seems almost useless to me. Nothing I can't get with my current setup. I need to go out and try to run a route (maybe I will do that at lunch) to get a good feel for the app.
    ohgood likes this.
  16. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's when I start to run into issues. The app loads up, shows my correction location, etc. Once I start moving after a couple of minutes it starts flashing low GPS signal.

They are a terrible company though, I would not subscribe to this. They refused to offer me a refund even though I have my tracks showing it constantly cuts out. They also didn't provide any technical support, saying "never heard of that problem before". Which is ridiculous since it's an error within the app, they obviously programmed it to say that. I think it's something with my phone, although i'm not 100% sure since every other GPS application I have works fine. I could upgrade my phone but that's going to cost me a lot monthly, and at that point I am probably better off buying a dedicated GPS.

I'm not a big fan of the interface either, but my primary use for this app was for long trips. I can plan it all online, and then open it in the app. That's really the only time I ever use a GPS.
  17. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a look at furkot.com for real. While it is an extra step to get to your device, I feel it's a much better solution for trip planning. I would be glad to help you with your workflow on getting it to your device easier (and automated) for use with better navigation apps. I might try something like Guru in this instance.
  18. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks i'll have a look and test it out. It's just more annoying I wasted over $100 on the My-Route app, live and learn I guess. Probably won't be the last time I get ripped off haha.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  19. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that really is disheartening to hear that they won't even acknowledge an issue like that.
  20. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So they emailed me April 26th saying they would look into the issue. I still haven't heard anything back.

I filed a complaint with Paypal, will see if they will do anything about it.