My "Sportstour" creation

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by c1skout, Mar 13, 2016.

1. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I posted up in the Go Sportsters thread (road warriors) when I brought my Sportster home. Here's a picture I cut-and-pasted together of my build idea.
    [​IMG]

Now that the bike is scattered all over my barn and I've started looking it over my plans have changed a little bit.
    First step in the teardown was sissybar removal, and the trouble begins. Seems the PO didn't have the proper sized allen wrench, so the 2 screws on the left side were slightly wallered out. Hand impact and the next larger size didn't do the trick, so I pulled the whole contraption off and took it to the vise, so I could do this.....
    [​IMG]
    Turned them into slotted screws and they spun right out with a big screwdriver!
    [​IMG]
    TonyKZ1, Combatscoot and JB2 like this.
  2. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    nice photo chop.

windjammer fairing, bmw seat and rear fender.
    JB2 likes this.
  3. Foxed101

Foxed101 Monkeywrench

Oddometer:
    Curious to see how the plans have changed :dukegirl
    JB2 likes this.
  4. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's my bike when I got it.
    [​IMG]

My plans started evolving when I figured out that I could simply raise up the factory seat, instead of grafting the subframe from an old BMW. I've always liked Sportsters, but they sit just a bit too cramped for my 34" inseam. And I'm no fan of forward controls, so I did some playing on the cycle ergos site and saw that a 2" raise on the seat would get me near where I wanted to be.
    But first I wanted to eliminate that funky rain-sucking air snorkel. Did some internet shopping for used parts.
    [​IMG]
    No pics, but I pulled the carb apart to see what the PO had in there.....main and slow jet just slightly over stock and an aftermarket needle. I put it back together and started fitting the used Screamin Chicken filter housing. All the filter parts seemed to be there except for the gasket between the mount plate and carb body, so I scoured the barn for some gasket material.[​IMG]
    Filter box'll do nicely.
    9Realms and JB2 like this.
  5. SRR

SRR Flattrackin

Oddometer:
    You may be familiar with Walt Seigl, a motorcycle builder in New Hampshire. If not, look him up, he does incredible work. Anyway, your idea reminded me of a bike he built a few years ago and I thought you should see it. Photo is not mine.

[​IMG]
    buck12ga, TonyKZ1, Velocipede and 8 others like this.
  6. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sportster Chips!

chips-02.jpg
    JB2 likes this.
  7. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    OOOOOH, That's pretty! Big twin. Wonder what kinda frame?

I used the "other" side of a ball pein to get the gasket's center hole made, then just cut the outside with scissors.
    [​IMG]
    then smeared some aviation Permatex around and put it together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That looks better. I'll get back to the jetting after I get it on the road.
    TonyKZ1, Combatscoot and plugeye like this.
  8. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I grabbed my blue Windjammer and propped it up off the crash bar to check for clearances, etc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looks like it'll fit fine once I remove the headlight! I'll build a mount when I'm done fooling around the rear of the bike, can't turn the bars with the bike strapped to the lift. Man that looks HIDEOUS on there! Shoulda bought a blue sporty I guess.:-)
    Back to the back. With the seat off I set a couple wood blocks on the frame and fender to see where the seat will end up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's about 2" up and 1" back from the factory position. Puts the butt bucket even with the bottom line of the tank. I'm gonna run with that!
  9. Daddyo

Daddyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had a Windjammer 5 on my Vrod for about 5 years now and I love it. It's mounted nose high (according to Craig Vetter's instructions) by about 3" but works just lovely.
    Love the Winjammers.
    Combatscoot likes this.
  10. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got any pics?
  11. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed an oil drip from the countershaft sprocket area, and when I pulled the cover to inspect I found the sprocket loose on the shaft, and the 5th gear plug seal missing!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Since the plug seal had come out I was concerned with the condition of that needle bearing inside of the 5th gear. I decided to pull the tranny for an inspection. Into the primary side we go.[​IMG]
    spokester and Combatscoot like this.
  12. Daddyo

Daddyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

No pictures handy right now.
  13. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I learned a lesson removing my shifter. Use a puller!
    [​IMG]
    With the bolt removed I put a screwdriver into the slot and gave it a twist and it just went "snap!" I believe the PO used his Herculean strength to tighten the pinch bolt, aiding the shifter's demise. Evidently he had the proper sized allen wrench for this bolt or I'm sure it would have been stripped too.
    There is a small wavy-washer snap ring doo-dad that holds the shifter detent plate in place, and when it came off it vanished. Eventually I found it!
    [​IMG]
    With the rotor, clutch and primary chain off the tranny unbolts from the case. Pretty slick, compared to pulling the whole shebang and splitting the case!
    I clamped it into the vise and gave it a good look-over.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    looking into the case you can see 5th gear and the bearings I was concerned about. Everything appears fine so I gave the outermost bearing a swipe of grease (a hot tip from the internet sportster gurus, seems sometimes they don't get enough oil splashing to them) and a bit of the green wicking locktite to try and keep the bearing from walking. I should know in the next few thousand miles how that panned out. :-)
    [​IMG]
    This is the bearing from the countershaft side, according to the factory service manual it's in the proper place.
    Kiba, spokester, Combatscoot and 2 others like this.
  14. never2old4fun

never2old4fun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One thing I've said about the sporty is. It is like a canvas. You can make them into whatever you'd like. That's the great thing about them and if you get tired of the way it is you can always change it.
    BTW, did you get a new shift lever yet? If not, I think I may have one out in my garage.
    Kiba likes this.
  15. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, no new shifter yet. I went looking at a swap meet last weekend but nobody had one. I did score some footpegs and shocks though! I'm starting to think it may have been easier to put the BMW subframe on here. 4 mounting lugs and shock mounts. I'm 4 evenings into my seat lift already...... and it's not done, looks terrible, and is starting to stress me out a bit. I actually got a little disgusted with it this evening, so I figured it was time to call it a night before things got ugly.
  16. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Picked up some more stuff for my project.
    [​IMG]
    That blue fender gets sacrificed to be the rear half of my seat lift. It even came with a stock license bracket to replace the chrome lay-down one that came on the bike. I picked up some 1" pipe at the hardware store to build the front half of my seat lift. Stacked some cuts together and started welding, poorly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm not set up to do this kinda stuff the right way, so I had to grind the fish-mouths with a bench and hand grinder. Works as well as my welding!
  17. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's the front half mostly completed.
    [​IMG]
    I utilized an existing hole in the bike frame crossmember for a pin to keep the seat lift indexed side to side.
    [​IMG]
    I propped up the sacrificial fender to show where it's gonna go.
    [​IMG]
    Scribbled some marker on it and start cutting.
  18. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trying for fit after initial cuts.
    [​IMG]

I had to trim up the fender some so I could place it where I wanted it to go..... so I knew how much more needed to be cut. Then repeat, and repeat again. Easier than adding metal when I take too much though. I broke out a hammer and dolly to eliminate the body line in the fender side.
    [​IMG]

That removed body line ended up being right about where I made my final cut. I left some tabs to form into internal supports to help hold the lift fender in shape.
    [​IMG]

Look away if you don't like ugly welds or crooked tin snip cuts! This is a bit of form following function.:-)
    [​IMG]

Got a factory license bracket with the blue fender, so I got to toss the fancy lay-down one that came with the bike.
    [​IMG]

I used the factory rear seat mount bolt hole to attach the rear of my lift, and the forward fender mount hole holds the front of the fender to my forward portion, but wholey-man was that a pain to figure out. I'm no engineer, and when the forward hole lined up the rear didn't, drill a new hole and they still don't. Those radiuses (radii ?) sure make for interesting guesswork!
    I slit some vacuum hose to cover the ragged edge of the cut-off fender and gave the contraption a quick coat of black primer. Paint'll hafta wait for warmer weather. The very back looks relatively hateful, but I can't think of a way to make it any better. With the top-box and bags most of the ugly will be hidden anyways, so I'm thinking that'll all be a non-issue for me.
    [​IMG]

I'll move on to the luggage rack.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  19. Daddyo

Daddyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I might get access to some pictures next week.
    I do know that on a Vrod there isn't enough clearance to turn the front end without the fork tubes hitting the fairing. Fortunately there is an abundance of material in that area that can be removed with a grinder to provide clearance.
    The mounting bracket attached to the bottom flat section of the fairing is fairly easy to make, mine really needed a brace coming off the frame steering neck to stop the wobble. I drilled 2 small holes in the front lower lip and bolted the brace there.
    Like I said it's done well for several years now over all types of roads and doesn't shake nor shimmy at speeds up to 140.
    I did cut a whole lot of the windshield off. A little at a time, till the wind protection was where I wanted it.
    The wind protection is really good in my opinion. Compared to the H-D batwing or Road Glide fairing, I really like it.

And, I can instantly pick out my bike amid a sea of Street Glides, Road Glides and E Glides : )
  20. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk