Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by c1skout, Mar 13, 2016.
Here's a few from when I first got it mounted. Maybe. If it pics load.
Looks good! Did you ever bother to color-match it?
Not yet : )
But I did put on a set of black bags, so it "almost" looks intentional.
It's a daily driver, and I ride year round so it's hard to tear down and paint. Some day.
I hear ya on the someday.
I haven't made much progress lately, real life's been in the way. I Went to the Harrisburg swapmeet today but didn't find anything I was looking for, picked up a pair of footpegs to make a "set" of 4. At least it wasn't a wash.
Let me know what ya might need. I have some spare sporty parts.
The build is looking good, interested in the final results.
Thanks for the offer! I've got a shifter on the way so I don't need one of those now (unless I get the wrong one). I'm hoping to find someone local who wants to trade a 19" cast front wheel for my 21" laced, but so far that's been a bust. Shoot me a PM with what you have, might be something I need that I'm not thinking of.
To much to list. As you build it if something comes up just let me know. I really like the looks so far
I measured the factory sissybar, 9/16" square stock. Nobody in town carries 9/16" square stock! I figured I can turn 5/8" round into 9/16" square easy enough! I found an old tire-iron hiding in a corner of the barn and decided the angle looked close enough, so I used that as a pattern as I heated and bent my new 5/8" round stock.
I cut that piece to length and made another to match. Then I made some sharpie marks on them and started grinding to make the round peg fit the square hole.
I could have done some trial fitting while whittling these down.... but that didn't occur to me at the time. Taking them down to 9/16" made for a slightly loose fit in the side brackets. With the fitting completed I marked them for the mount bolts and tapped them 1/4" fine thread just like the originals.
I looked at the other bikes in the barn and the luggage racks were all placed about even with the top of the passenger seat, so that's what I was shooting for, but now I think I might make it an inch or so lower. The top boxes I'm looking at seem to mount onto a plate that gets bolted to the luggage rack, so I may make the rack even lower so the box isn't as high when it's all put together.
I dropped them down a bit more from here.... but I'll go more yet. I'm planning on the rack ending up 8" wide by 10" long.
Here's my layout for the rack. Those crossbars are 1/2" square tube spaced an inch apart. Does that look too busy? I may start welding it up later today.
I plan to make the crossbars flush with the top of the 3/4" flat steel, then set the whole contraption onto the top of the 5/8" round stock for final assembly.
I got my new used shifter. It had some road rash.
I took the chrome corncob peg off and installed my rubber peg in the opposite side, I guess my replacement might have come from something with forward controls? Anyhow it's on now!
I put my matching pegs on the rear too.
That's it for now. I'm gonna go try to cut some grass before the snow comes tomorrow.
I sent you a PM, or conversation thing.
I got some more time in the barn this afternoon. I had glued some cuts of innertube onto my frame where the seat lift will ride against it. I used some sacrificial zip-ties to hold the tube while the adhesive set.
I decided on 1 1/2" spacing between the crossbars for my rack and started welding it together. I clamped it to a piece of heavy plate steel while welding to keep it from getting all crooked, worked pretty well. I also cut down the vertical support rods another 1 1/4", that saved me drilling and tapping 2 mounting holes, since I cut through what used to be the lower hole, then just made new upper ones. Here's where it sits now in relation to the seat.
I got the rack mostly welded to the uprights, but ran out of wire before I finished it. I'm planning on putting a diagonal piece on before I'm done, I think I can also make that into my turn signal mount. We'll see how that plays out later.
I grabbed the top-box from one of my other bikes and set it on the rack for a looksee. I hope to get a box about twice this size, this one will barely fit a fullface helmet.
That's it for now.
Got some mail today!
These are the most economical hard bags I could find. I was looking at some deals on larger used Givi bags, but I think bigger bags would look TOO big. I took them down to the barn and stretched a bungee over the seat to hold the bags up while I did some planning.
The bags have a big end and a small end, I guess it's up to me which way to mount them. I kinda like them with the big end forward..... my wife says big end to the rear. The lower mounts are arranged such that if I were to make the bottom mount lugs level the bags would hang crooked.
Here's the bag with the short side forward.
Still not sure which way I wanna mount them. If they were simply cube-shaped it'd be an easier decision.....just level em up! Looking at different bikes on the internet it seems like people mount them both ways, so no help there either.
I started looking around the barn to find some inspiration for mount material. Didn't come up with anything inside, so I went out to gaze on my scrap pile. That's usually good for inspiration.
Even looked at the non-ferrous pile.
Now that I've got a plan, gotta go get me some steel stock!
I think your wife is a smart woman.. big end back. IMHO
Have the wife sit on the back, you may find it fits best for her with the large part to the back.
Yeah, Ida had her down there tonight, but she's got that stomach bug that's going around.
That's not good, I'd never got the wife out to sit on a bike with her sick. Meaning she wouldn't go
I'm with the wife and Max on this one
Great project! here is my old Touring Sporty travelling pal - HarleyBoy, waiting for the ferry.
Looks like you were loaded up!