My "Sportstour" creation

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by c1skout, Mar 13, 2016.

1. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    I've found that crossing train tracks can be a great suspension test, especially if the tracks are close to home. One can make a change, test on the tracks a couple times, then make more changes as required.
    victor441 likes this.
  2. Daddyo

Daddyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So (correct me if'n I missed it) you're only mounting the fairing at the lower side mounts?

That may work just fine, on my ride I needed a mount off the frame fork stem to stabilize the slight wobble.

I hit 130mph every time I start it up tho, not in town of course but out in the wilderness where I live, just for a second, and just because it's addictive.

I took off quite a bit of fairing material to clear my (turning) forks, there is a LOT of material there, a sanding disc on a 4"-7" grinder works just fine. Still plenty of beef left after the modification. That said the fairing is well forward, and works very well on my bike, after say, 30,000 miles of use.

My windscreen is seriously cut down from stock dimensions.
    We've owned a welding/fab business for about 24 years now so of course building junk for ourselfes is relatively easy.
    Given that, your bag mounts just might wobble a little too much when loaded on rougher roads, I thinks. Good luck with it, it looks like a fun ride.

on edit I probably have at least 40,000 mi. on this setup, happy as can be.
    AZbiker likes this.
  3. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've hit plenty of bad stretches of road now, enough to have a decent expectation of what the suspenders are doing. I know of a few local corners that have washboard on them, one is like someone run a D9 dozer up the road, but I've been saving them till I had some miles on. That one corner will send my Progressive suspended BMW about 1/2 a lane over, and I have to go really gently around it on my (stock) Enfield, it plumb locks that suspension down after about the third hit!

Daddyo, I may not understand your question. Those lower sides on the windjammer are the only factory mount points I know of for them, but my experience with 'jammer mounts is limited to 650 Yamaha, Goldwing, 750 Honda, and the customs I've seen on the web. For the bag mounts if you have any stiffening ideas I'm all ears :ear. It all seems good to me as is though. With everything assembled but no bags on, if I introduce an imagined load to the top or bottom of either bag mount any slight travel that I can see is transmitted equally to both fender struts. The struts seem to be extremely strong for load carrying, but I can see slight radial movement when I twist about as hard as I can. When I had the bike on a jack with the suspension isolated I put a pan with 85 pounds of lead in it on the very back of my top rack and measured only 1/16th " of deflection. I didn't imagine it would be that stout!
    AZbiker likes this.
  4. Daddyo

Daddyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'm sure you will be fine, if not just add reinforcement as needed right? That's how we do it at home.

My Windjammer 5, mounted solidly at the lower bottom edge (as stock) had a small (up/down) wobble at speed, I made a frame neck brace that eliminated that.

Of course adding a vetter to a Vrod is unusual, and mine is mounted farther foreward than was ever intended. Just a thought. You may well not need what I needed.

The Sportster is looking good!

Ha ha, just like me, the need to ride overules the paint matching time/effort. I totally understand this!
    Mine is still black : ) Daily rider that it is. Paint, maybe some day.
    AZbiker and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  5. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear ya. I don't have any up or down wiggle on the fairing (don't believe I need to worry about 130mph either) It's tied to the crashbar, and that's a pretty stout mount.
  6. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    My brother-in-law asked me if I wanted a tire. He said his uncle had this tire but no bike to fit it, so he had given it to him thinking it may fit HIS bike. It was the wrong size .....that's where I came in. I told him to drop it off, if it won't fit one of my bikes I'll hang onto it for the next guy. He dropped it off last night so this morning I went down to see what it was.
    [​IMG]

Date code is July 2012, suits me fine. It was stored in a garbage bag and wasn't even dusty! Oh yeah, it has one of these too.
    [​IMG]

If I were buying a tire I wouldn't have picked the whitewall, probably wouldn't have gotten a Dunlop either. But for free I'll run it happily!
    So today I moved some stuff around in the barn and got the Sporty back on the lift. Took the rear tire off and just about threw out my back. Man, that is a HEAVY wheel. I keep an old bathroom scale for just such times.
    [​IMG]

Slightly over 45 lbs for the half wore out Cheng-Shin on the wheel :(. Tore that one down and slipped the new tire on, balanced it, then popped out the bearings for a clean, inspect, and lube session. Here's the whole shebang straight out of the parts washer.
    [​IMG]

Everything looked fine so I repacked the bearings and reassembled it all. I struggled a bit getting the tire back through the lift's trapdoor.... MAN that thing's heavy. I scrubbed the blue stuff off the whitewall and rolled the bike back outside for a test ride.
    [​IMG]

I went a couple miles from home to fill the tank, then made a short loop back to the house. Got to try it out in the snow in a couple spots on my loop, crazy weather. Here's what's left of the snow melting off my windshield when I parked at home.
    [​IMG]

Guess I'll be sportin' a whitewall for the next few thousand miles.
  7. portablevcb

portablevcb Long timer

Oddometer:
    This all makes me want to get a Sporty. I liked the Vetter fairings in the old days too.

I'd add another brace to the bag mounts on the forward end as well. Maybe even another one from each of the bottom rear points, or, from each of the bottom front points to the passenger peg mount. You want it to be stiff, as in, pick the bike up off the ground with it. If there is even a little give, over time it will crack things (BTDT). Especially with heavier loads in the bags.
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  8. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear ya on the mounts. Rear pegs are out though, they bolt into the swingarm. There's not a lot of access to the frame in that area either, at least with my skillset and tools. I keep looking and thinking though. I could go over the fender in the front like I did in the rear, but that wouldn't improve anything really, the weight would still all be carried by the rear fender struts. The lower rear corners of my mounts are easily as stout (pushing-pulling side to side and up and down by hand) as the factory mounts on my R100. I'll be keeping an eyeball on them anyways just because I know who welded them up :D.
  9. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's some store-bought monokey mounts for other bikes. The top is some Kawasaki, middle a Suzuki of sorts, and the last one is for a later model (rubbermount) sportster. To my eye my mounts look at least as strong as these. I'm open to opinions :hide.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. portablevcb

portablevcb Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd add a rear brace like the one in the top pic. That at least will help keep some of the 'wiggling' to a minimum.
  11. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Good on you to get the Vetter mounted more near level. I have seen a Vetter mounted on a Sportster, where the owner/builder just attached the fairing to the crash bar, and it angled way up like those goofy looking Bosozuko cycles in Japan. Just looked weird. Those old Vetters were pretty good fairings, but they were big.
  12. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally got around to picking up a set of riser bushings. Mine had a buncha slop in them..... enough that at one time the speedo had rubbed the tank! I picked these up at a local independent shop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

High tech tiawanese polyurethane. They came with nice thick plated washers and a cadmium plated inner sleeve. Not much of an install. Removed the bolts with a wrench, pushed out the old ones with a screwdriver.
    [​IMG]

A bit of blue locktite on the riser bolts and reassemble. Took me about 20 min, including the walk down to the barn to get the locktite.
    [​IMG]

I can fit my finger easily between the tank and the speedo now. What a difference! Made the bars much more stable. Less vibes too! Hard to believe the originals only lasted around 20,000 miles.
  13. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wanted to put together a tool roll so I ordered these from Agri-supply.[​IMG]

I pulled the rolls from my BMW and Enfield to see how they'd fit in the tube.... either one would fit in the large tube, so I've got an idea how big of a roll I can get, but I'm open to suggestions.
    [​IMG]

I was hoping to fit the large tube horizontally below the top box, but it was too long and I didn't like how it blocked the turn signal. So I sat down, listened to some music and looked things over a bit. I finally decided to mount it here.
    [​IMG]

I went out to the scrap pile and found some heavy tin to make a strap mount to hold the top against my lower fairing mount.
    [​IMG]

Here's the strap mount, with some innertube between, before finishing and paint.
    [​IMG]

I had a couple of these hardware store clamps laying around, so I decided I could snug one around the frame and use one leg of it for the lower mount. I fixed it in place like this, then put the lower mount against the regular nut and tightened it up with a nylock nut.[​IMG]

Large tool-tube is mounted. It's not in the way of anything so I suppose it'll work fine.
    [​IMG]

Now for the small tube. It's the same length as the large one but smaller in diameter. I thought of putting it here.
    [​IMG]

But then I changed my mind. I found I could use a sissybar mount bolt for the top mount and hang the tube vertically. So I cut off the tube's lower mount.
    [​IMG]

and smoothed it up
    [​IMG]

I made a lower mount from some flat strap and a slice of exhaust pipe I dug out of my pile.
    [​IMG]

It gets bolted to the bagmount here.
    [​IMG]

Painted and finished, this one hides pretty well.
    [​IMG]

Now I need to get my roll together and fill these up. Not sure yet what I'll put in the small one, might just be spare plugs, paperwork and such.
  14. portablevcb

portablevcb Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put my tire repair kit in a small one. Bottle of slime, gummy worms, rubber cement, and the two tools for inserting the worms. Rag and small flashlight fill the rest of the tube.
  15. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good thinking.
  16. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    After TOO MUCH thinking about it I ordered a Storm ind. tool roll. It came from an inmate here but I direct ordered from one of his vendors. What a well sewn product!
    [​IMG]

I also got a braided brake hose and a shiny new topbox.
    [​IMG]

The Bestem 929 T-box seems robust enough, but the detail finishing is about what you'd expect for the money. I put the other box back on my Enfield and trial-fit the bestem mount on my rack.
    [​IMG]

It fits nicely, but I wanted some rubber between the mount and rack.... so I grabbed some junk heater hose from under the workbench and cut it to fit.
    [​IMG]

I cut some spacers from square tube and painted them. They fit between the mount plates and sandwich the rubber, allowing me to tighten the bolts without distorting the mount.
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of the mount from underneath, you can see the spacers installed.
    [​IMG]

I even hooked up the brake light.
    [​IMG]

Fits 2 helmets.
    [​IMG]

And here's a peek at the tool roll. I'm not finished assembling what I might need, and where it will fit, but this is where I'm at now.
    [​IMG]

Guess that's it for now.
  17. nemhed

nemhed Just a dude trying to abide

Oddometer:
    Looking good, C1skout! Seeing that Windjammer really brings back memories. I grew up not far from the Vetter factory, and mounted a few when I was working at a motorcycle shop while I was in college. Now I can't remember the last Windjammer I actually saw on the road!
    AZbiker likes this.
  18. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Nice project. Similar to one I'm nearing paint on an installation of an old Pacifico Shadow Classic fairing on my buddies Vulcan VN900. I spent a lot of time getting the fairing aligned to the lines of the bike so it wouldn't like some big ol chunk of plastic clamped on the bike. I'm happy with the fit, but it took a LOT of work and mods to get this fairing to fit like something almost factory. I go the faring, complete with the mount (which I modded heavily) and a pair of late 70's ABS saddlebags for $80. Installed a new stereo, speakers, $60 tail box, and by the time I get the saddlebags (not the leather ones on the bike now) he'll have a mid-size full dresser.

Attached Files:

19. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking good Andyvh1959. That Pacifico fairing is cool! I was watching your earlier posts.

I put my Sportstour on a diet.
    Finally found a reasonably priced set of 9 spoke mag wheels on the local CL. I didn't want the 13 spoke mags like the 1998 & up bikes use because:
    A) I prefer the looks of the 9 spokes
    B) they use the Timken bearings
    3) The internet says they're lighter!
    I met the seller and made the deal. They even had good tires! (nearly new steer and maybe 1/2 tread drive) I serviced the bearings and installed the front wheel....... what a difference! It steers way quicker now, feels like a completely different bike. On the scale in the barn the laced 21" with a Shinko 777 weighed 30 lbs. The 9 spoke mag with Shinko 712 weighed 26 lbs. I don't know how much of that difference is just in the tires. I'll swap out the drive some other time.

I don't have any pics but this one from my daytripping post
    [​IMG]
    TonyKZ1, Dirt Road Cowboy and Kiba like this.
  20. Kiba

Kiba Dances With Huskies

Oddometer:
    Nice. I can attest to the weight difference too.

My Sporty started with both "custom" wheels, the solid fatboy rear and the spoked 21" front. I figured the spoked front would be lightweight... hell no. 32lbs! The Fatboy solid rear weighed 45lbs+, and I can remember Ginger Beard mentioning his weighing something like 40lbs. Using a couple of parts bikes I switched to '93 mags. I didn't weigh them to compare but both feel lighter and steering and cornering feels much quicker than before.