My TAT trip starts July 21, 09

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Ghilly, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Ghilly

Ghilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I now have my vacation in and will be starting my trip on July 20 or 21, 2009. Things are coming together well and I just have a few things left to buy. I welcome anyone who wants to ride with me.

Thanks,
    Ghilly:D
  2. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Have fun Ghilly, your gonna love it. Be prepared though and know you can trust your bike.
  3. Ghilly

Ghilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have my 08 DRZ400 geared up for the trip. The add ons include:
    1. moose hand guards
    2. thumpertalk crank case plates
    3. unibiker radiator guard
    4. thumper skip plate
    5. Renazco custom seat

My rack and which bags to buy are about all thats left to get set up for the trip. My GPS is good to go and I am thinking of getting a SPOT for the trip. My protective gear is full racing gear and a gore-tex rain suits. I will have a smaller front sprocket for the mountain areas of the trip and 606 tires. I forgot to mention I will use the clarke 3.9 gal tank. When I get a chance I will try to start posting some pics of the bike.

Thanks,
    Ghilly:D
  4. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ghilly-----I've ridden most every mountain pass in Colorado on a Stock DRZ400S (street legal model). Stock gearing will pull any pass just fine. In fact the passes you will ride over on the TAT route are much easier than some I did on my DRZ. I pulled 14,000 ft. Mount Antero on it and there is nothing like that pass on the TAT.The DRZ is great bike---I got by with the atltudes with no carb re-jetting ----I did cut a larger hole in the top of the airbox.

You'll be wasting your time re-gearing.
  5. motogo1

motogo1 I don't want a pickle,...

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you are well prepared. Are you starting in TN? You know of course, it's gonna be hot (with a capital H) on parts of the trip. Good luck..:clap
  6. RockyNH

RockyNH Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer:
    Ghilly, you doing the whole trail, or just part of it?? How much time are planning for your trip??

Pat in NH
  7. Ghilly

Ghilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be doing the whole trail east to west. My vacation starts on july 20 but I figure a day to drive there. However, I may actually have off starting on July 18 depending on how my days off fall. My plans are to fly home from OR on Aug. 20-21 but think I can do the trip in about 23 days. This will give me some room for unseen problems.

Thanks,
    Ghilly
  8. juniorsktm

juniorsktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very cool! I too am leaving in July. And I am also doing the whole trip. I am taking my 950 adventure equiped for some hard off road. I am planning on leaving July 1st. Are you riding back? I see you said flying....are you shipping bike back? I think I may just ride it back and visit some cool places via the oil.......

Frank
  9. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    Have you swapped in the high fender?
  10. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    AND: have you looked over the trail west of Moab ? I own and can ride the 950, but Im glad I had my 610 on the western half. Not saying it cant be ridden on a 950, we had a 950 SE with us, but he was an former ISDE and ECEA grand champion rider. Practice your cursing before you go. :lol3
  11. juniorsktm

Oddometer:
    Well, I am not an ISDE, ECEA grand champion but I have been a GNCC Runner Up........I have been running this pig through some tight sick stuff here in the Appalacians........it's a bitch, but it can be done. I have been runnin' 200-300 miles a day ( weekend day)mixed terrain preparing for this thing. I will be ready!

All that being said.........I could be talked into the 650 for the trip! I think the 950 is sexier though and that's what I want to take.........Rookies, huh?
  12. Jeff@TheQuadShop

[email protected] TAT survivor

Oddometer:

With your experience, you'll be fine on the 950 as long as you have some good knobbies. Don't use hard bags tho, use soft stuff.
  13. juniorsktm

Oddometer:
    Nice! Thanks for reaching out Jeff! We have met, though you wouldn't remember. I sear we met the General in '05.......Tom from Ohlins was working on my suspension and we chatted....I think. Scott SUmmers was there then as well. He was trying out the 450 but had the xr on the back of the Hummer........anyhow, I am sure we chatted. I be wrong but I recognise your name.

Youre right, I have been thinking about soft bags for the TAT, I boogied up to Tellico in the rain in mud a few week ago off road with the gobi's and she handled lile shit and way to wide.........

Good advise, come ride it again with me.........we GNCCers need to stick together..........

Frank
  14. juniorsktm

Oddometer:
    Jeff, I must add after seeing your avatar, my first win in GNCC was at Sparta KY in 2006..........what a mess that was..........
  15. juniorsktm

Oddometer:
    Ok Jeff, the cat's out of the bag.........I just got off the phone with Larry K from Tucker Rocky, we rode trials allday yesterday, and we figured out the tie...........

Come on down and ride brother..........I have a private 3.6 mile GNCC style track with some old school MX mixed in and Larry is 6 miles away with endless miles of trails and trials..........

Frank
  16. Jeff@TheQuadShop

[email protected] TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    LOL, thats funny. Your the person that he called me about today. :lol3

Actually me and a couple GNCC buddies are going to run the TN section on Jan 23-25 if you want to join us. This summer we are going to ride either the mid or western section that maybe we can hook up with you for part of your ride.

How far away are you from The General GNCC?
  17. juniorsktm

Oddometer:
    Too Funny!

I just called Larry to tell him this!

Anyhow, I live 1.5 hrs from Aonia. I am in Marietta off I75 south, north of Atlanta. I am logging off tonite but PM me with your info and we can talk.

Peace,
    Frank Jr
  18. SalsaBoy

SalsaBoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    23 days could be a stretch especially if you run into any problems. Sneaker and I ran the whole trail this past summer in 21 days and we had to bypass a little bit in NV. But after 700miles of desert, it didn't bother us too much.
  19. SalsaBoy

SalsaBoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That time of year you will be hot all of the way to Le Veta, CO. Once you start going up in elevation it will be pretty cool. The coldest I was on my entire trip was camping at Crater Lake, OR last week of July 08. It had to have been in the 30's overnight. And of course the trip up the coast from Port Orford to Portland it was raining and 50 deg. bbbrrrrrrrr
  20. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    I agree, I think the 950 A is a bad ass bike, and you cant match the exhaust note. And it's amazing how far it can be taken into the shit. Nothing quite like it. But what I mean is, having ridden the whole thing, it's a long trip. Towards the end, you'l' start to get a bit tired (Im assuming here) & on certain days, there will be some long sandy, washed out sections in western Utah and Nevada. There will be moments when you'll think to yourself, "maybe Frank was right, a 650 would be nice right now" :lol3. But listen, for the majority of the trip, it's 950 territory. Those slow sections are not that long. And I agree with Jeff on the soft bags too. use GPS & DONT overload her !
    I think most TAT vets. given the choice to ride the western half again, with both weapons (950 or 600 class bike) would choose the mid weight. But you'll love it either way brother. :thumb