My TAT trip starts July 21, 09

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Ghilly, Dec 4, 2008.

1. juniorsktm

juniorsktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Frank! Any "recomended" soft bags? I know, I know, look it up......I'd rather not:D

Frank
  2. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Either Dirt Bagz, Wolfman or Ortliebs I think. You can make them work with the oem racks I'm sure.
    Your going to really enjoy that trip.
  3. Jeff@TheQuadShop

[email protected] TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    I like Wolfman stuff! :clap
  4. juniorsktm

juniorsktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks fellas! I will check it out.....
  5. Ghilly

Ghilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    My next gear to buy will be the bags. Why are guys liking the soft bags over the hard packs?

Thanks,
    Ghilly
  6. Brent4ADV

Brent4ADV Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer:

Because when you go down (and yes, you will go down), there are only three outcomes.

1) You break or bend the cases
    2) You break or bend the mounting rack for the cases
    3) You break or bend your subframe

It just depends on what the weakest link is but something will either bend or break.
  7. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    or the worst: you break your leg. those hard cases will take your leg with them on the way down.
  8. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    I'll throw in my recommendation for AndyStrapz Expedition Pannierz. :thumb

The others mentioned are fantastic, but the AndyStrapz are exceptional.

Top roll closure, variable capacity if you need to stuff in some groceries at the end of the day, no zippers to get fouled with dust and mud, nearly waterproof, and tough as nails.
  9. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    I never heard of those Doc, Im going to check them out. Thanks.
  10. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    not necesarily true. My 950 fell over more then 100 times on the trail and my racks and mermite cans survived just fine. It was my 60 mph crash in canada that killed the cases.....but they absorbed all the impact and saved the racks and the bike. I walked away unscratched.

But I prefer the soft stuff now anyways.
  11. Brent4ADV

Brent4ADV Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer:

Well, maybe I should have added the YMMV disclaimer. On our trip though we suffered through many breaks and bends on my bike ('01 640 with SW motech racks and pelicans) and on Cat's bike ('02 BMW GS 650 with al panniers and i forget which racks). I reckon the stuff for the 950 is just more stout?
  12. Seth S

Oddometer:
    Perhaps...or it might just have been my boxes. The frame on the 950 is a surround design and the bike is designed for touring so it is probably a little more stout for carrying the big loads.
  13. Staxrider

Staxrider dirt dauber

Oddometer:
    I know it's a new bike but take apart the steering head bearings and the swingarm/ rear supension bearings and regrease them. Suzuki is kind of stingy with the grease.

Have you thought about communication? A Spot device or a satellite phone is cheap insurance.

The 3.9 Clarke is perfect. I was getting 40 miles to the gallon. I took a kolpin 1.25 can but didn't run out of gas until Oklahoma. Wasn't paying attention. :lol3 Never pass a gas station without filling up.

What about water? Unless you have some sort of purification system 3 liters is a minumum, especially in the summer. And like gas, never pass up an opportunity to fill up on water.

Good luck!
  14. BlueBuell

BlueBuell Banned

Oddometer:
    Good luck on the trip!
    Four of us are doing the TAT for 2 weeks starting June 12th. We would like to go from AK to Moab UT. We live in Austin, TX.
    What about riding gear that can handle the rain? I have a tourmaster jacket, that has a water proof liner, but my Klim pants are not waterproof. Do you carry a rain suit? My tourmaster rain suit is kind of big to pack.
    So, should I just use the Klims?
    Thanks!
  15. Ghilly

Ghilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am super excited to start this trip and still need to buy my bike rack, bags and tank. Everything else is waiting to go. I have not picked a shipped yet to ship my bike back with and could use any advise on which to use. Please email me at [email protected] if you are interested in riding this with me for either the whole or part of the ride. I think now I will be able to start the ride on july 18,19 or 20.

Thanks,
    Ghilly:D
  16. dickosaurus

dickosaurus Geezer Coalition Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ghilly- Keep in mind that there's a mess of us around Tulsa that can help or provide shop assistance should you need such in this territory. Keith has a tire changing machine and Fotobo, rufus, Vinnie the Snake, and I all have shop space or can lend help if needed. I've PMed you my phone number.
  17. Paramedicrogers

Paramedicrogers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean, we are leaving August 10 and its killing me, what makes it even worse its seems like this is the longest winter ever!:eek1
  18. Ghilly

Ghilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys are great! I will try to make a like of places that may assist if I end up getting into a tight spot. If you want to come ride for a day or more that is also great. I think I will be getting the 606 duel sport tires for this trip and they are said to last about half the trip. Does anyone recomment any different tire for this?

Thanks,
    Ghilly:D
  19. Seth S

Oddometer:
    it all depends on the bike you are riding. On a DRZ400 the 606's should do well and last a long time. On a 950 adventure i'd probably run a Dunlop 908 Rear or a Michelin Desert if I could find one, and a michelin desert on the front.
  20. Ghilly

Ghilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am on the DRZ but will check on the other tires to see how they look.

Thanks,
    Ghilly