My Three Days in Portugal

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by johnnywheels, May 6, 2018.

1. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some post ride thoughts...

The drivers
    Contrary to what I’d read, I found the drivers in Portugal to be considerate, patient, and predictable; better than the average driver I see at home. The only local habit that caught me off guard was the expressway practice of very quickly returning to the right lane after passing on the left - too quickly in some cases because I felt they were cutting it a bit close for my comfort. After a few times I came to expect it and it wasn’t a problem.

The Roads
    I was blown away by the quality of the roads! Even remote two lane roads were in excellent repair. Signage and marking were good too. Between the signage and the GPS I had no problem finding my way. I did not venture off pavement but I can only imagine...!

The People ...
    Wonderful and friendly from small village to big city. I don’t speak the language and that was never a problem. I learned a few of the basics and that was appreciated. Google Translate came in handy a few times. I admire the excellent English that is spoken by most Portuguese.

The food - was simply amazing; seafood on the coast, grilled meat inland, cheese in Serra da Estrela,Bacalhau (salt cod) everywhere. If you ever find yourself in Lisbon do yourself a favor and have a meal at Restaurante Raizes! Marco is a genius! Http://restaurante-raizes.pt

[​IMG]

The wine - I can’t do this topic justice. I will say I came home loving port wine and have discovered Vinho Verde. Now if I can just find it at home!

In my 50 + years I am fortunate to have been able to spend a good deal of time living, working, and traveling through more than 30 counties on four continents. I rank Portugal at the top and honestly can’t wait to return!
  2. tutancamon

tutancamon Adventurer

Oddometer:

the fires were a great tragedy, more than 100 people died!
    Before the fires, last year I was there also, in this picture you can see a big fire in the distance. IMG_7045.JPG
    johnnywheels likes this.
  3. donraz

donraz n00b

Oddometer:
    Obrigado! I will be doing Lisboa to Lagos and back in August... will talk to motoxplorers for the bike
    johnnywheels likes this.
  4. Matt2105

Matt2105 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I loved Portugal. Didn't get to travel via bike but Porto may be the city I move to in retirement.
  5. Northstar Beemer

Northstar Beemer Face Plant

Oddometer:
    Very nice report and great pictures. I've been to coastal Portugal, but the mountains are stunning too! I recall that things were fairly inexpensive there in the 1980s - still true?
  6. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just started reading and had to quote this, solid laugh from this maroon - always great to approach life with that sense of wit :nod:nod

Looking forward to reading the next couple pages of your report :thumb
    johnnywheels likes this.
  7. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just read through all three days and thoroughly enjoyed your writing style as well as all the pictures you captured! Thank you for taking the time to put the report together and post the images, they're fantastic.

My wife has a substantial "chunk" of Portuguese in her makeup, we're going to get there at some point in the future and reading this report further cemented the idea to do so. It's great to read the people were friendly, I know there's a significant amount of anti-American sentiment right now, good to hear you didn't experience any.

What a great place to explore and ride, keeping motoxplorers in mind as I'd love to visit and explore on 2 wheels too.

Great job on the report @johnnywheels :nod:nod
    johnnywheels and KHVol like this.
  8. IndiBiker

IndiBiker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice writeup and great trip! I've visited Portugal for work and loved the place. Very nice and friendly people. Awesome food too. Would love to ride there some day.
    johnnywheels likes this.
  9. Dieselpwr

Dieselpwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed my country. I was just there in August, unfortunately not on 2 wheels. I was born about 30 minutes west of serra da estrela and everytime I drive those roads I imagine how much more fun it would be on my bike. Unfortunately for you, 3 days is nowhere enough time to see Portugal, but looks like you got a good taste.
    johnnywheels and TheBritAbroad like this.
  10. johnnywheels

Oddometer:
    Honestly I fell in love with the country! I’m plotting how I can return and stay for awhile, but it will probably be some time before I can make that happen.
  11. johnnywheels

Oddometer:
    In general compared to other places in Europe I found Portugal to be much less expensive for lodging, food, and drink. Public transportation is well done and also reasonably priced. I’ll definitely be going back for a longer visit.
  12. johnnywheels

Oddometer:
    I agree - Porto is a wonderful city! After my three days on the bike I spent four days each in Lisbon and Porto. Both are awesome cities but Porto is a bit slower paced and more to my taste for an extended stay.
  13. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have a bump almost one year later !

We're going to Lisbon in late April after visiting Porto two years ago; I can't wait !!
    Dracula likes this.
  14. johnnywheels

Oddometer:
    I’m envious! I won’t be back there this year but have started planning an extended stay perhaps in 2020.
  15. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ahh, memories, lived in Estoril in the mid 90's for a while. I really miss the Pastéis de Nata, and also Pao Chourico ( Little bread rolls stuffed with chorizo). Thanks for sharing
  16. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ! Thanks for the write-up !