My Tiger Adventure

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Night Falcon, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    As the Tiger is shaping up to be a keeper thought it should have its own spot on the cyberweb.

As it came with a lot of the basic mods I wanted, there isn't a lot needs spending on it; suits me just fine. One thing it does need though is an air filter upgrade.

The stock paper filter has an open snorkel which acts like a vacuum cleaner to suck up dust so the filter will get pretty clogged cruising along HB gravel roads. IMG_20161109_151111.jpg

The other problem is the tank has to be removed to get at it which means removing the nose cone and tank plastics amongst other things
    IMG_20160711_085939.jpg

This requires about a dozen bolts to be removed, 4 FI connections, then a further 11 screws to remove the air box lid and another 2 to get the filter out. My first attempt took me 1/2 an hour to pull to bits and 3/4hr to put back together so no quick job.

Solution: Fit a pre-filter to the air box and luckily Uni-filter make just such a beastie :clap

The instructions say there are just 4 easy steps to fit it and a 10min job to maintain it. Your sposed to remove the existing snorkel and rubber boot from the air box then simply "plug in" the pre-filter....all without removing the tank. Wonderful....cept it's utter bollocks! :dirtdog

Long story short.....you need to remove:
    1. The snorkel - 1bolt
    2. boot - bit awkward
    3. ABS cover - 5 bolts
    4. Beak, tank etc - see above
    5. Air box cover - 11 bolts
    6. air-filter - 2 bolts
    7. Squeeze in the oversized pre-filter in a space made for midget hands.

IMG_20161109_151139.jpg

7. refit everything
    8. 2.5hrs latter pack up ya tools and cuss a bit. :ace

I have no doubt that it could be done in 10mins as they say on the instructions.... just not by me it seems.

Anywho....once fitted..... it will provide good dust protection and uni-filters are good quality so should last for ages. As its a pre-filter I figure it wont need constant cleaning and I could even fit a dust sock over it for simple post ride maintenance, then just remove and clean it every now and then. :dunno

To do:
    Some crash bars and an extension to the bash plate to better protect the oil filter is on the cards along with a new 150 E07 rear tire and that will be it probably......the screen could do with some work though, buffets a bit.....meh there'll always be something :D
    cold comfort and Te Hopo like this.
  2. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    i coulda told you all of that :thumb you will get a lot faster with practice. no better way to learn about ya new bike than pull it to bits a couple times. that unifilter prefilter is great. if the oem paper one is clean it'll stay that way forever now.

re screens, madstad do a great buffet free option but they flop around once you get off the tar and they aren't very crash worthy. if i was to do it all again i'd just take an inch off the oem at a time till i got a smooth ride.

did you acquaint yourself with the stepper motor while you were under there?

edit to add: tape up the drain hole at the bottom of the airbox on the lhs. if you get water past the prefilter you'll have bigger problems and the whole thing will be coming apart anyway.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  3. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    My old Tiger is probably a bit worse to get at the airfilter - but appears better as keeping the airfilter clean

That frigging stepper motor... I turned on the ignition while the stepper motor was hanging in the breeze and it disassembled itself - took me ages to get in back together - lots of bad bad words were muttered

The airhead is on a different planet entirely when it comes to regular maintenance tasks - seems to need attention a lot more frequently though.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  4. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    read all about the infamous stepper motor....some give trouble some don't it would appear. Mine will be one of the trouble free ones I can tell.

Tried riding with my left hand on top of the screen and it seem to make a difference. Certainly got louder/buffetier when I removed it. I'm thinking the screen needs to be bout 1"1/2 taller so thought I'd fab up some extensions for the fixing bracket, which is at max height....then see how that works before choppin bits off it. I know tourtech make a small defector screen that clips on to the existing but being TT it will be stupid dollars.

Wade's Tiger has the Manstad screen on it which he reckons is pretty good. I don't mind a bit of wind noise but buffeting is unacceptable!!!.

Got a Uni filter for Wade along with mine which he fitted today.....he txt me to say I was right about the fitting hassles. Some guys cut one of the corners off the inside grommet and silicone spray it to get it to fit easier, but I prefer a good fit and an occasional afternoon in the shed to clean it (along with other maintenance). Once fitted it tucks out of the way and should be easy enuff to keep reasonably clean so the fitting isn't too bad in that regard.....Mr Triumph makes an awesome motor then protects it with a crappy paper filter that ya can get too.....what's with that :loco

IMG_20161109_151051.jpg

Have noted the hole taping for next tank removal. Cheers Wairau
  5. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    you can feel that hole from the outside. lowest corner while on stidestand, no disassembly reqd
  6. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Been making enquiries on the Tiger Tool ECU software so I can do my own service checks and reset the service reminder. It seems there are a few options available but not many that will allow you to reset the service reminder. You can also pay as much as $100.00 for the software or $1,000.00 for the genuine Triumph tool.

After a lot of interweeding I found the full genuine software and "how to" files for free :clap I've also managed to source the OBD2 V1.5 scanner cable in NZ for $27.00 delivered. This allows the bike to talk to your laptop. I'll be well pleased if it all works but will see when the cable turns up. The "how to" files are very straight forward showing "how to" find, read and reset all the fault codes, bleed the ABS system and even remap the ECU.....if your game :baby A bit overkill for me but will be a handy bit of kit for this backyard mechanic software engineer hack wannabe :loco

Today's task, I made some "adjustments" to the plastic tail rack to better hold the wolfman tank bag I'd bought for the 530. Came in very handy on the weekend ride so is now a permanent fixture. Also plan on fitting a PVC tool tube inside the left panier rack for the odd nick nack. That, and the under seat storage, will provide almost full workshop carrying capabilities for overnight adventures planned for this summer :evil

IMG_20161119_085821 (2).jpg
    9Realms and Te Hopo like this.
  7. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    well done nf.

i used dealer tool and their cable which did everything but if you've found the same for free well done. tune ecu is good but not as good.
  8. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    IMG_20161119_095359.jpg
    Yup seems like the genuine article but will soon see when the cable show up....think it will be fine though.

another shot from yesterday
    9Realms likes this.
  9. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    After a fair amount of cussin and downloading drivers I have managed to access the tigers ECU :clap

Turns out Win10 has this "feature" that it updates all drivers every time they are loaded, all good unless the device chip will only work on a prior driver...grrrrr

Only way I could get it to work was use the Brides PC which runs win7.....any who, once sorted, plugged her into the Tigers OBD connector and started reading through its most intimate secrets. :wink:

So now I'm a fully semi equipped backyard Tiger Tamer :rilla

anyone want to give me their ECU to tinker with.....:bandit

The OBD2 V1.5 connector
    IMG_20161125_104410.jpg

First job will be to reset Wades service reminder which is the easiest thing on it so even I cant stuff that up..........:stupid
  10. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk Lookin good.
  11. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    well we successfully reset Wades service reminder so next I might try updating my map. Mine is one out from the new XC version which apparently will make the fuel mileage better. Wades bike is running an way outdated map and he says he's had some low rev throttle issues so I suspect a new map will resolve that.

In other news, fitted a tool tube today. I found the one I put on the 530 was so handy and as there was an easy place to fit it on the tiger it just made sense to put one on.
    IMG_20161203_132919.jpg

Sue has ordered me to buy a new GPS as we are going to Auckland next weekend (oh happy joy joy) so whats a man to do.....TomTom Rider here I come :D

Looking at a tent also for the upcoming camping/touring season. Looked at few but they all seem a bit bulky for a bike. Torpedo 7 has some options but without actually looking at them its hard to gauge how cumbersome they are. A 2man seems to be the way to go....anyone have any recomendations or tips on what to get?
    Te Hopo likes this.
  12. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Whatever you get, pack the poles separate (and super secure) and you'll be surprised at just how small the tent bag is after that.
    I quite like my Kathmandu Mono even if it is a bit small really, a bit heavier option but a good design is the Macpac Apollo.
    Pricey but a great tent and my mate loves his one
    Night Falcon likes this.
  13. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    how do you compare your tiger to your 990?
  14. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    good question. theres a low km 990 on tm atm. he wants $21k for it tho.
  15. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Saw that. Optimistic?
  16. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    well, for another $2.5k you can have a 2014 r1200gs with all the electronic fruit, service history and a fancy gps. same km's. or a brand new africa twin for that matter.

so, imo yeah. he's also trying to sell the crash bars etc separately.
    Manakau.KTM likes this.
  17. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    quite different bikes actually. The 990 was simply more aggressive period, way better suspension but less comfy. The Tiger is a much smoother ride, feels bigger on gravel and spins up the rear wheel a lot easier.....not that it took much to get the 990 rear end sliding around.

I was looking seriously at another 990 but there weren't any around. The main driving force for the tiger was the price I got it for. Really didn't know if I'd even like it. I have to say it's really grown on me, in fact I've just come back from a quick 120klm ride with bout 40k's of gravel and it was a blast. Knowing what I do now I think I'd take the tiger over a 990. Its way easier to own and ride which is a big deal for me considering my brokenness.

This is somewhere behind Taradale this afternoon. We were a bit lost at this point but managed to get cell reception so google maps saved the day :D
    IMG_20161204_153918.jpg IMG_20161204_153936.jpg
    dazzadm, Pete-NZ and Te Hopo like this.
  18. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Lighthouse Adventure

Well, had an awesome couple of days exploring the depths of the lower North Island. Was going to make it 3 days but frankly I was worn out by day 2.

Started of wanting to head to Castle Pt via Route52 but ended up getting a tad lost...don't ask. got there in the end but via Dannevirke. It was just as I remembered it and amazingly little wind considering it was blowing everywhere else.
    IMG_20170110_154752.jpg

The White House
    IMG_20170110_162023.jpg

fishing dingy parked up
    IMG_20170110_162251.jpg
    9Realms likes this.
  19. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where all Ford County tractors go to retire
    Night Falcon likes this.
  20. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Watched a boat coming in being driven onto the trailer and hauled ashore. They don't waste time getting it ashore. IMG_20170110_162936.jpg
    IMG_20170110_163001.jpg

After doing some powerslides on the beach...as you do....I headed back to Martinborough for some Tai dinner and a cosy B&B. I hate having to ruff it but needs must

Humble digs
    IMG_20170111_073655.jpg