My Tiger Adventure

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Night Falcon, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Noticed my front guard was a bit loose after the weekend ride. These guards have a reputation for exploding if a rock or mud gets stuck between it and the tire. Added some strengthening but if it ever totally goes I'll look at changing the brake lines and fitting a high guard.

IMG_1738 (002).JPG
  2. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    i remember blokes were making home made brackets like these to lift it up 20mm or so. big knobbies reduce that clearance and take stones round with them. never had any trouble myself.
  3. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    yeah there is a limit as to how high you can lift them, think its only 10-15mm before it hits the tripple clamp on full compression.

I quite like the look of this one ............
    20170924_104421.png
    dazzadm and MrKiwi like this.
  4. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Have done some research on high front guards. Its a fairly straightforward mod by all accounts.

This XCA has Polisport guard fitted. From what I can gather only the looped brake line has been replaced for a longer one. They have looped and tied it above the rear of the guard. The guy has a video on how he's done it. Although in Spanish, it is handy as he shows the bracket he made to fit the guard to the triple clamp (it only has one fixing bolt under it).

maxresdefault (1).jpg

This is the Tiger Tramontana Rally bike (came second in the rally apparently, plus it's 20kg lighter than stock!)

It looks cool but on closer inspection you will see they have only used the front half of the guard. Not very practical as its mounted where the stock beak would go so it doesn't move with the forks. Not very effective as a mud guard I wouldn't have thought.

They have also removed one brake disk and caliper...gotta save weight somehow I guess. Personally, I prefer the extra braking!

tramontana2.jpg

BTW....The Tramontana does bare a striking resemblance to a certain Yamaha about to be released :scratch

upload_2019-5-29_22-5-58.jpeg upload_2019-5-29_22-7-28.jpeg

Kind of hoping my guard will brake so I can play in the shed.....or maybe I'll do it anyway :hmmmmm
    dazzadm and ferals5 like this.
  5. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
  6. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    mad lego skillz bro :lol3
    EVLED, ferals5 and Night Falcon like this.
  7. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    MS Paint rocks!
    Night Falcon likes this.
  8. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, if only cut and paste was always that easy... it seems to take me ages in the shed to do it for real:-), but it's fun.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  9. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Done some more high front guard head scratching.
    This is the bike with my old DR front guard temporarily cable tied in position. (old guard MS Painted out)
    IMG_1785.JPG
    I ran some cable from the brake calipers to get an idea of brake line routes

There is only one new line required which is the loop between the two calipers. Because of the ABS, which I want to keep, it is easy to leave the main feeder line intact which will mean the ABS connections remain untouched; the loop line will go right up behind the light which will allow it to move freely up and down with the suspension travel. I then only need to make a grill to fit under the light. Pretty simple.

I actually like the DR guard as its pretty wide and has vents at the rear to help air flow to the radiator.
    IMG_1788.JPG

Looking at the Rally Tiger I've added a couple of ideas for some rock/splash protection to the front of the engine. It needs some sort of grill for air flow :scratch
    Fairing 1.jpg Fairing.jpg
    glitch_oz and MrKiwi like this.
  10. GPS MAN

GPS MAN Lost!

Oddometer:
    That looks great! Now time for some Jenny Craig diet plans for the Tiger!!
    Night Falcon likes this.
  11. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    LOL. It's only 5kg heavier than the game changing 790R and Yamahas nimble T7. If it gets any lighter it'll be in 690 territory :lol3
    dazzadm, Kempy and glitch_oz like this.
  12. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    And has a better engine than both methinks. 5kg neither here nor there.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  13. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    the Tiger is actually about the same weight as the T7 if you only put 16ltrs of fuel in the tank! Replacing the muffler with an Arrow slip-on would probably make it lighter.

The problem with the Tiger is its weight is over the front wheel; great for grip but very hard for lofting over stuff. That's one big advantage with KTM's....they lift the front end on request!
    oldbeer likes this.
  14. Yannick

Yannick Asterix the Gaul

Oddometer:
    Hello Night Falcon, I found this thread last week as it is in your signature under some photos you have posted in the photos forum. I was just a bit surprised to find myself in NZ regional forum, leaving in Brittany (northwest of France) I just feel a little far from home, but I find it very interesting because now that the 2 year warranty on my Tiger is passed, I'm going to start to maintain it on my own, and I will follow your thread because you give me some good ideas. And by the way I really appreciate to see some photos of your country and its beautifull landscapes.
    When I saw the picture of the XCA with the high mud guard I recognised it because I have watched a lot of videos by this guy, in fact it's in French not in Spanish. You're right for the looped brake line, he says he ordered a 111 cm long reinforced hose (durite aviation as we say in French) as the original one, and had it installed by his Triumph dealer in Lille, because he didn't feel self confident enough to touch the brake line himself for a matter of safety.
    The bracket is L shaped and bolted to the lower triple clamp, and the forks guards are an UFO model for a KTM EX 500 CF, the cheapest model he has found (about €30) because he had to modify them by cuting the bottom where the fixing holes were and drilling new ones on the side.
    If someones here can speak French or are simply interested in seeing the video, here it is.

15. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Cheers Yannick. My new brake line arrived this morning so just need to get the mounting sorted and get some fork protectors, then I'm good to go. I had watched that video. I'm going to fit the guard to the Triple clamp differently than him as I think it needs to be a bit stronger. He did give me some good ideas though. I will post up some pics when I do it.

I'm glad you found my thread useful :D
    Yannick likes this.
  16. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Front brake line arrived this morning. Ordered some fork protectors from AFC this afternoon. Just need to build a bracket to fit the guard to the triple clamps, fit everything then fill and bleed the brakes.
    IMG_1792.JPG
    MrKiwi, Yannick and Muzz67 like this.
  17. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Couple of pics from my ride to HB to visit @GPS MAN

IMG_1796.JPG IMG_1798.JPG IMG_1800.JPG IMG_1803.JPG IMG_1804.JPG
    Yannick, dazzadm, EVLED and 4 others like this.
  18. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What route did you take?
  19. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Just slabbed it down the HW but came back via Onga Onga and HW50 to avoid a myriad of road works and stop go paddles .

The gravel pics are from Tararua Road on the Paihiatua Track. Awesome day for riding, although a tad chilly this morning.
    Kempy, Muzz67, EVLED and 1 other person like this.
  20. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tararua Rd is a lovely piece of gravel. Especially on the sidecar....