My Tiger Adventure

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Night Falcon, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    there were a few slippery mud/clay bits on it which required care!
  2. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Began my front end/high guard mod today. Made an alloy plate which bolts to the lower triple clamp and worked out how to fit the fork guards. There is a bit of fabrication required as nothing on the Tigers front is compatible with any aftermarket gear.

So the guard is temporarily in place but I still need to work out how to secure the plate a little better. The guy I am copying made this bracket but it only has 3 fixing points which I dont think will hold for long. My bracket is thicker aluminium than his.
    Guard bracket 1.jpg

Here's how it looks with the DR 650 SE front guard fitted. Not sure I like it but will see. An after market SM guard might be better looking for about $50.00

IMG_1806.JPG IMG_1808.JPG

Excluding the cost of a new guard (if I ditch the DR guard) the complete cost of the high guard mod will be around $170.00. Cheap compared to $450.00 to replace the stock guard if it brake's......which they are prone to do and it's already started cracking. This also includes the cost of a new LED bar light which will sit under the headlight.

3.3.JPG
    bikemoto, Yannick, Muzz67 and 4 others like this.
  3. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the seventies I had a TY175 with a low guard and as I used it as a farm bike it would jam up with mud in extreme wet conditions. I've tended to avoid low guards for off-road ever since. When I picked this up recently the PO had a high guard with the extra bits that came with it, so on it went.
    IMG_20190619_144915.jpg
    Kempy, Box'a'bits and Whale Rider like this.
  4. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    That's a cool bike! I'd own one if one was forsale when I bought the Tiger. I reckon that model is the best adventure bike KTM has made....including all the models post 990. None of the new ones I've ridden have the same ooooomph that those have off the T. Besides the better suspension those R's also have an upgraded cam to overcome the flameout problems the 07-08 990's had DAMHIK

What ya done with the 9fiddy?
  5. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll put more roadie tyres on the smr, something like mt60rs so it's still okay on gravel. I really like nutter bikes like motards. I will still use it in the truck where I put it on the tail lift, pack it amongst the plants and take it to jobs. I then leave the truck on site and ride home. Saves a swag on road user charges and diesel.
    bikemoto and Night Falcon like this.
  6. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    I think it was Honda that once had a car with a mini bike in the boot. You unfolded it and off ya went. Not sure why they put it there....maybe for parking ya car outside city limits and ride to work? beats being squashed into a train with a 1,000 other office workers I spose.
    Manakau.KTM likes this.
  7. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    Night Falcon and MrKiwi like this.
  8. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Excellent! Wonder if you could fit it in a pannier.....where can I buy one :ricky
  9. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    Seen a couple on Tardme for 2k or so.
  10. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't Triumphs come with one already? ;)

Really couldn't help myself...
  11. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    strictly for Asian vehicles apparently .........I'd be taking a good look at ya Yamamoto tool kits, probably one or two hiding in there some place :ricky
    EVLED likes this.
  12. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Finished modifying the Polisport fork guards. Just need some paint and they're ready to fit. The right hand one will have its corresponding brake line cable tied to it with a yet to be designed soft clip of some sort :scratch
    Fork Guard 1.0.JPG Fork Guard 1.1.JPG Fork Guard 1.2.JPG

Working on the front guard bracket at present which is almost completed. In theory it should be very strong, the trick will be in bolting the guard to it with no access to the bolt heads which might make using lock nuts a little difficult. It might end up with standard hex nuts and locktight :scratch
    Yannick and MrKiwi like this.
  13. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    Can you use nutserts?
  14. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    what are they?
  15. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    Threaded flanged nut that is riveted into the hole with a tool similar to a pop rivet gun.
    The ‘nut’ is the unsplined part and is pulled toward the flange with the tool. Come in a variety of sizes in steel or aluminium, be aware you need a good tool to pull larger sizes in steel.
    4318DD4E-EC0C-4428-B405-B8EFEC3D17DD.png
    07DFF03F-8DCF-481F-BB72-97DD9205B2F8.png
  16. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Yep. I could make those work for sure! Never seen them before but what a great idea. Probably a bit overkill buying the kit for 4 bolts though.

I'm thinking about using countersunk M8 bolts and maybe oversize the countersinking then epoxy the heads in place. I think I can get to the front two bolt heads but definitely not the rear ones, They'll be right under the rear of triple clamp. If I use lock nuts they won't need to be very tight so a good dollop of epoxy (probably Ramset Chemset) under and over the CSK bolt heads should be enough....that stuff is like liquid weld!
  17. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    A DR guard? Jeez man, I'd get that off there before she drops 70hp & the gearbox explodes :rofl KTM plastics used to be not too badly priced. Resist the temptation to get a cool looking shorty motard one as you'll get a face full of spray in the rain.

You can set those nutserts by putting a bolt in & doing another nut up against them if yer too tight to buy the tool.

Cheers
    Clint
    ferals5 and CNL like this.
  18. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    DR guards is the shizz! :rilla

How come you know all the cheap as tricks?
  19. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Finished off the guard mounts and fitted everything up. I super glued the rear csk bolts in place and just used hex nuts on them, worked a treat (lock nuts on the two front bolts) If I ever have a problem with them I'll use @clintnz cheap ass rivet tool and fit some nutserts.

The brackets
    IMG_1814.JPG
    These brackets clip over the rear of the triple clamp where there's loads of free space and are only there for the rear fixing. The bloke I copied only had one 5mm bolt to support the rear of the main plate which screwed into the redundant wire brake cable holder. Not really secure IMO.
    IMG_1815.JPG
    Main support plate fitted
    IMG_1817.JPG

The almost finished product....brake lines to fit and bleed next.
    IMG_1821.JPG
    If you look closely you will note the cable ties around the base of the upper fork legs. These provide a buffer for the fork guard so it doesn't rub on the fork leg. Pinched the idea from a 990 high guard kit. The cable tie connection loop goes to the front of the fork behind the top of the guard
    IMG_1822.JPG IMG_1823.JPG

Tiger 800xc High Front Guard
    Yannick, EVLED and CNL like this.
  20. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    but the guard has no orange on it :lol3