My Tiger Adventure

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Night Falcon, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    I only know what I've read, This except from NZTA seems pretty clear but like everything I guess it's open to interpretation and therefore inconsistent across vehicle testers.

Dipped beam headlamps
    Dipped beam headlamps are used for lighting the way ahead of the vehicle at night. The beam pattern is controlled so that the driver can see the road ahead without causing glare to other road users. (Dipped beam and main beam headlamps are often combined into one lamp.)

Fitting requirements
    • All vehicles are fitted with one or two dipped beam headlamps as original equipment.
    • You may not fit any additional dipped beam headlamps to a vehicle.
    • Dipped beam headlamps must be white or amber in colour.
    On the road
    Dipped beam headlamps should be used during the hours of darkness and whenever visibility is poor. Because they are dipped, they can be safely used in all conditions without dazzling other road users.

Main beam headlamps
    Main beam headlamps are used for lighting the way a long way ahead of the vehicle. Because they are not dipped, they will dazzle other road users if not used properly. (Dipped beam and main beam headlamps are often combined into one lamp.) Additional main beam headlamps are also known as ‘driving lamps’.

Fitting requirements (original equipment)
    • Most motorcycles, cars and trucks are fitted with one or two main beam headlamps as original equipment.
    • Main beam headlamps must be white or amber in colour.
    Fitting requirements (additional equipment)
    • You may fit additional main beam headlamps (driving lamps) as long as you don’t have more than the maximum allowed for that type of vehicle. All vehicles except motorcycles may have up to four main beam headlamps (motorcycles may have up to two). For example, if your car has two main beam headlamps you may add two more, but if it already has four main beam headlamps you may not fit any more.
    • Main beam headlamps must be wired so that they automatically switch off when the headlamps are dipped.
  2. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    Seems to depend on the whim of the WOF guys,, I was told by them that the 2 3watt catseye leds on Honk could only be on when on low beam. Never been mentioned anywhere Ive (occasionally) got a WOF.
  3. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    not mentioned is motorbikes are also permitted up to 4 daytime running lamps, not exceeding 2400 candela in total.

whatever you install just needs to be interpreted as drl's.

land transport rule: vehicle lighting 2004
    Night Falcon likes this.
  4. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    It was sold as an LED fog light so that's how I'm rigging it. Seperate switch and independent of the head light.....if they won't wear that It'll become a spot light. If it's not too bright it could also be a daytime driving light :evil
  5. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    don't get me started on this The nzta have singularly been unhelpful
  6. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    I was ignorant and just hit "add to cart". I figured every other bugga was doing it...

They should sort it out as I have heard stories of guys getting mucked around. Not sure why additional lighting should be discouraged - other than dazzling other drivers, that is. Let there be light I say!
    Night Falcon likes this.
  7. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    the safety research is definitive, LEDs add demonstrably to our visibility
    Night Falcon and EVLED like this.
  8. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Already a believer in that. Have also been wondering about some of those little Stonk bright eyes for my little WR. The retailer suggest that they are positioning lights and provides a link to some regs which suggests they're all good.

Position lamps
    Position lamps are low wattage lamps on the front and rear of vehicles that show the outline of the vehicle. They are also known as ‘park lights’, ‘side lights’ and in the case or rear position lamps, ‘tail lights’.

Fitting requirements
      • Light vehicles may have one pair of front position lamps and up to two pairs of rear position lamps. Heavy vehicles may have up to two pairs of front position lamps and three pairs of rear position lamps. Motorcycles may have one or two front position lamps and one or two rear position lamps.
      • The law says a position lamp must not be mounted more than 1.5 metres above the ground unless:
        • the shape of the vehicle body makes it difficult to mount the lamp at or below this height, in which case it may be fitted up to 2.1 metres above the ground, or
        • extra position lamps are fitted to the rear of a heavy vehicle, in which case only one pair may exceed the height restriction and must be mounted as close to the top of the bodywork as possible.
    • Front position lamps must be white or amber in colour.
    • Rear position lamps (tail lights) must be red in colour.
    • When purchasing position lamps, it is your responsibility to ensure they meet approved standards and are designed for that specific purpose. If in doubt, consult a vehicle lighting retailer.
  9. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Finished the wiring and everything works :D Will tape it up to make it all tidy but happy enough how its turned out.
    IMG_1837.JPG

The light works great but I'm undecided if it could be used as a daylight running light. spot or fog light. It's not too bright and its hard to judge the spread and distance in the shed so will have to take it for a night excursion to see. I have a couple of other things to do while its in bits, oil change and new rear tyre so the Night Falcon night ride will have to wait a few days :*sip*

IMG_1835.JPG
    Yannick, Praskin, Kempy and 2 others like this.
  10. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    New pipe has left the UK:D Plus ya get a free neck warmer with it :rilla
    Classic_Brushed_Oval.jpg
    ferals5 and MrKiwi like this.
  11. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well if its anything like my current experience, goods will arrive in Akld (from the UK) in 3 days, then sit with customs for 2 weeks before they even think about what GST & import charges they want to invoice me for. Then it's taken NZ Post at least a few more days to get the import charges invoice to me via snail mail (haven't got it yet) - all the while keeping me completely up to date with non progress via email...

I'm wondering if/when I'll get a delivery...

Rant over... for now.
    dazzadm likes this.
  12. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    yep the weakest link in the chain is NZ! I got the LED light in from China in under 3wks. It could have been longer but they didn't bother with duty or GST. The exhaust is marked motorcycle parts which are exempt of duty. I've actually ordered two exhausts (one for Paul's XCX) so am expecting it will catch the eye of the GST man. Happy to pay it, but it will likely add a week to the delivery I reckon.
  13. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    been my experience too
    Night Falcon likes this.
  14. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    Had the opposite buying piston kits from Ebay,, watched them bounce around Kentucky/Ohio etc for a couple of weeks, then on doorstop in a couple days.
  15. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Freight Update FYI

According to parcel tracking Pipes were picked up from manufacturers in the UK on the 11th, left Heathrow on the 13th, arrived in NZ on the 15th.

So 2 days from pickup in the UK to leaving, 2 days to get to NZ and 5 days and counting stuck in NZ customs. I guess they get thousands of parcels to check so it will take time to clear customs. When you consider the IRD will (assumably?) then have to contact me with the GST amount to pay, wait for payment confirmation and then dispatch the goodies, it will be interesting to see how much more time it will take for them to get to me.

It's a bit ironic that a parcel can travel between hemisphere's 2.5 x faster (and counting) than it takes to go from Auckland to Manawatu. Given the technology available to us in the 21st century you would think simple parcel processing would be way more streamlined than this.....or maybe that's just wishful thinking :dunno
    MrKiwi likes this.
  16. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    thats what happens when you get a monoply. no incentive to innovate and of course the end user has no say.

what brand did you go for mr falcon?
  17. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Fuel Exhausts.com Mine is the Oval classic style in brushed S\S 400mm long. Paul ordered the Oval Diablo ceramic black 350 long. The pipes come with a stainless connection pipe and all the hardware to fit/mount them....plus some free stuff :evil

Read some reviews about them on the beasts thread and they say they have a great sound and not too loud, half the weight and size of the stocker and don't get very hot. We got them for a great price and shared the freight so even better. Should look great on the Tiger :super It needed it to complement the look once the high front guard was added.....well that's the line I gave Sue for finance approval :wink:
    dazzadm, ferals5 and wairau like this.
  18. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    my last international package took 17 days to clear.

The one before that took 4 hours.

No I don't get it either :dunno
    Night Falcon likes this.
  19. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wait for Oct(?) when the new GST rules apply. It will only get worse. If they can't cope now, imagine what the volume increase will do...

GST & import charges letter arrived today (for the driveshaft I ordered weeks ago). Efficient freight stifled by inefficient govt Bureaucracy.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  20. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a XT660Z triple clamp and Steering stem form England. They were sent seperately from the same seller for some reason, but I watched them arrive in NZ, sit at customs for 1.5 weeks, then suddenly turn around and head back to England, much to my annoyance. One parcel arrived at its dispatch address, the other one disappeared. The seller refunded me and resent the part back to me which I received a week later. We suspect customs lost the paperwork for the parts as that was the only thing missing on it, address and everything else was all in order...:mrskbasaVery frustrating...