My Tiger Adventure

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Night Falcon, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    don't get me wrong @bikemoto....if I wasn't broken the 790 would likely be in my garage now. Just a waste owning a proper offroad ADV bike when I can only manage rough gravel tracks.....in fact it's taken me almost 2 weeks, a night in emergency and a dozen sevredol tabs to get over my last ride :fpalm I'll never own a Harley though ...not happening...no way Jose :nono
    EVLED and dazzadm like this.
  2. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    Take heart Tiger fans...Bike magazine loves the 900 Rally.
    46FDE406-1E78-45FF-AB56-FBCEB7D715EB.png BE610435-B969-41D8-B56A-D2DB72714B80.png
    Night Falcon likes this.
  3. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Triumph always seemed an unlikely match in the ADV segment to me. Even the old Steamers weren't exactly on the mark. These new Tigers are a bit of a revelation, I bought my (now old) XC on whim and knowing i could sell it and get back my expenditure. that was until I road it back from the South Island :raabia the 900's take them to another level.....maybe in a few years when they're 30K klm and $10 - $15K cheaper....
    oldbeer, bikemoto and dazzadm like this.
  4. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    When can we start a high mileage Tigers thread ??:D
    Night Falcon likes this.
  5. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyway if you did trade up to an orange frame, what would happen to your thread?
  6. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Good point mate......I could revert back to either of my previous KTM threads to keep things politically correct....
    MY EXC 530 Adventure
    My KTM 690 Adventure

.....then theres the 990 but that didn't get a build thread....it was perfect out of the box, cept for the dud EFI :dirtdog
    oldbeer and Manakau.KTM like this.
  7. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    There's blokes on the Tiger forum with over 100K miles on their XC's with almost zero problems so mines got over 100,000 klms to go before I can I dare start that thread :ricky
    oldbeer likes this.
  8. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I personally find the Tigers a bit too top heavy.

They are also not really designed for dirt, more as a travel down well formed roads.

My V85 is less top heavy, but not as capable as the Tigers.
  9. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    I think they are amazing and the new one is even amazinger. I would agree they are not dirt bikes. Is there an equivalent bike that is designed for dirt?
    Night Falcon likes this.
  10. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    definitely not a dirt bike ....surprising where it can go though :D If I was able to ride more gnarly terrain I'd have a 690 or a 530 :2cry
    MrKiwi likes this.
  11. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    or a Husky 701...
    Night Falcon likes this.
  12. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More than a gravel bike though if you can get it up takipari rd
    Night Falcon likes this.
  13. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    Mine went up there. Even with my fat ass on it. They go pretty good in the bush too...

Somewhere round Motu if memory serves.

32593420-BAD9-40CD-AC52-944F5E164F8C.jpeg

Of course, if well formed roads are your thing.... they go ok on them too.

A760BDF4-618D-48B3-AA94-41784AA32895.jpeg
    Manakau.KTM, Night Falcon and dazzadm like this.
  14. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Mate took his over the 42 many times. I even went with him once on the V-Strom. (That was a few years ago and it was a bit of a mission. (Rode the 42 on the 250 before lockdown and it the track was in great nick and on the 250 it was a doddle).

He and I used to swap back and forth on the bikes. The Tiger was easier to ride on gravel than the Vee. I liked the smoother power delivery. The Vee wanted 3k on the dial and dished up it's torque fairly hard from there on - it could be a handful. The S10 has even more torque but delivers it a lot smoother, though not as smooth as the triple. I even did consider buying one at one stage...
    Night Falcon likes this.
  15. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    I put 35,000 km on this one:

[​IMG]

Really, really rated it as an all-purpose road bike in its day. Super flat power curve and decent suspension that soaked up the worst that Kiwi tarmac could offer. No wonder the 1050 came out with 17's front and rear.

All up I've logged nearly 300,000 km on first gen Hinckley 900's. I'd love to add one to the collection.

Triumph do make some sweet bikes...lots to choose from!
  16. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Been after a shorter clutch lever for the Tiger as I've never been happy with the control of the longer stock one. They come as a set (clutch & brake lever). Don't reckon I'll use the brake lever as i think it might reduce the "large handful of stopping" option in the unlikely event of an emergency. Will try it out though. Turns out there are few options in the short lever industry.... my choices were.....

1. Billet 6061-T6 aluminum, CNC manufactured, Anodized colour coating, 6 adjustable positions (plus, easy and more sensitive control with just 2 fingers :evil) $69.00 plus freight from Wellywood. :thumb

2. Folding" levers from CHCH for $95.00
    3. What look to be the same $95.00 lever but $285.00 from Straya :nono

Cant see folding levers being of much value when tucked behind Barkbusters so went with option 1. Courier dropped off today. Quality looks pretty good so will fit them tomorrow and see how they perform.

Levers.JPG

In other news.... the Chinese Katana battery I bought on 29 September 2017 for $185.00 deceased itself yesterday. Twenty days short of 3 years life which i'm not entirely pleased about :twitch Bit the bullet and got the Triumph recommended Yuasa replacement, so hopefully if lasts a bit longer than 3 years!
    dazzadm likes this.
  17. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put the short leavers on the tenere, I liked them. I would like to do it on the Bemaha, but not so easy to find...
    Night Falcon likes this.
  18. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Sweet ride out to Weber today to test out my new levers (brake clutch gear) and rear shock setting adjustments (preload and comp/rebound)
    Verdict..... It's like the Tiger has a new lease of life.

I even got the front end to loft no problem. It's amazing how much better the clutch control is with a short lever. Previous attempts to save front tire wear all ended in failure using the longer stock clutch lever....with a bit more practice the Tiger will be wheelieing like the 690 used to :2cry

Adjusted the rear spring preload from 24 to 2 clicks which has made the rear feel way more planted to the road especially when off road. Rebound compression is a pretty fine adjustment but moving it from 1.5 clicks to .5 also seems to help keep the tire on the road more. The shock is in need of a service and is undersprung for my nimble 94kg carcass but it'll have to do for a bit longer due to the unforeseen battery replacement :ace

IMG_2695.JPG
    Dropped into North Range road for a quick look. Watched about 30 4wd's coming through from the mudd end so didn't even bother going there. Got to watch some maintenance on one of the windmills though which was interesting. Those blades are enormous up close.
    IMG_2700.JPG
    All in all, a cracking good day for a ride!
    IMG_2702.JPG
  19. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Next Tiger mod is in progress....and the best one yet......ABS instant off switch!

IMG_2756.JPG ABS OFF Circuit.jpg

ADVrider.com rocks!
    dazzadm, Muzz67, MrKiwi and 1 other person like this.
  20. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    The Tiger Rally Pro is kicking goals, taking out MCN's best adventure bike and overall machine of the year.

dazzadm and Night Falcon like this.