My Tiger Adventure

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Night Falcon, Nov 9, 2016.

1. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    you're up late (or early) says he reading this at 3:44am
  2. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    another all-nighter for me.
  3. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    know the feeling..

mrs wairau and i are 3/4 round the south is. adv style in the hilux. without a word of a lie tigers have been the most numerable adv bikes out there doing it. many have pillions. today 1 went past in hokitika with a pillion, hard cases and a white 30l safari tank.

it gladens the heart
    Night Falcon likes this.
  4. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    no beak either, which is worth a mention.
  5. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Got it to bits and the news is good and bad....as ususal.

The Good - Turns out the gear selector drum seems to be working fine. I can turn it by hand and select all 6 gears and neutral easily.
    IMG_1648.JPG
    Neither the selector spring or the pinion were broken :scratch
    IMG_1649.JPG

The Bad - The only thing that looked dodgy was this bit...its the Detent Plate that connects to the pins on the drum selector. You can't see it very cleaerly on this pic bit it has quite bad wearing on both outer forks. took it to the dealer and their cheif mechanic said its toast. so guess that's that.

IMG_1652.JPG

Triumph don't have one in stock in NZ so that's 3-4+ weeks and $140.00. Quick search of fleebay and I've ordered one of a 2014XC complete with the whole shaft, springs. clips etc with express delivery from UK for $102.00 (Triumph quoted me $340.00 for a shaft alone when I enquired).

Got photos of the plate and it looks like new so am confident it will be ok. I'm hoping this gets my gears working again, if not its an engine spit....but I dont think I'll need too.
    Muzz67 likes this.
  6. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Just finished tinkerin with my spare set of foot pegs I got cheap from the wreckers....well one peg but the others not far off :D found the stock ones to be a tad short for my delicate hoofs
    IMG_1658.JPG
    Mc107, Kempy and Muzz67 like this.
  7. GPS MAN

GPS MAN Lost!

Oddometer:
    Good Job on the Pegs!!! Now, you need to twist that Tiger's tail and get it moving!
    Night Falcon likes this.
  8. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    parts arrived yesterday from the UK :D
    Box'a'bits likes this.
  9. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    nice addition to the foot pegs. I'm still waiting for parts from UK too...
  10. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    mine took 13 days to get here...not too bad considering I've had stuff take longer than that within NZ.
  11. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    After exhaustive testing I'm pleased to report the Tiger has survived my gear selector repair and is working flawlessly. The smooth gear changes Tigers are renowned for are back...and it changes down again which is handy.

My foot peg mod has also proven itself. Tight cornering on gravel is so much easier when you can shift your weight through the pegs.

IMG_1681.JPG

Spotted a screen extender thing on Ebay at about $25.00 delivered from China so thought I'd give it a try. The screen wasn't too bad to begin with but this thing really does what the marking said. Wind noise and minor buffeting completely gone.

Was a bit worried it might cause the screen to flop around on rough ground but after today's testing it was fine. Highly recommended - although I did change the metal packers that protect the screen from being damaged by the fixing grub screws for homemade plastic ones. You can buy them HERE if your interested

IMG_1695.JPG
    oldbeer and MrKiwi like this.
  12. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Yup, those screen thingees are great. Visor up riding in all but the coldest, wetest conditions.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  13. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Got some new Decals from a place in Straya for the Tiger. My previous ones were just testers printed on my inkjet....these are the real deal printed on clear plastic and laminated. 400 x 600mm sheet with any designs you like for $30.00 NZ. Plus they sent me a spare set for free. I had duplicated the decals on the original sheet so now I have 4x the decals I actually need. Anyone want some RedBul, Mitas Tire, Dakar, and Castrol decals let me know :D

IMG_1696.JPG IMG_1697.JPG
  14. Jeff Sichoe

Jeff Sichoe ruddy bastard

Oddometer:
    Sounds interesting, what was the place in AUS?
  15. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    BANNERBUZZ there is a tool on the site for designing your own decals. I just cut n pasted the graphics from the net, adjusted the sizing with MSpaint. I used the layout size to guesstimate the sizes I wanted after taking rough measurements from the bike. Worked fine.
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  16. Jeff Sichoe

Jeff Sichoe ruddy bastard

Oddometer:
    looks good, thanks!
  17. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    We'll turns out Mitas aren't making any of the E07's anymore...standard and the Dakar are now toast. AFC had the replacement E07+ in stock ina 150 so thought I'd give one a go. Don't think it'll do close to the almost 11,000 (and counting) K's of the old one....but we'll see I guess
    IMG_1727 (002).JPG

EDIT: It's a lot rounder than the old E07 which will be a plus I'm pickin. The old tire squares off as it gets worn which has made the rear end step out from time to time on sealed corners....not frighteningly though.
  18. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, the plus will square off too...
  19. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the recent trip down south I did, 2 of the guys had the new Plus tyres on the R1150GS's. They seemed to wear no worse than the Original E07's and they didn't have any issues with Traction. In fact they were almost as good as the E09's I have on my bike. But we didn't have any mud to compare then in...
  20. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Cheers....Mud grip (or lack of) don't bother me, I stay clear of it wherever possible
    dazzadm likes this.