My Ural (Mis?)Adventure, so far.......

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by jwaller, Aug 13, 2015.

1. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bummer.
  2. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More of the Saturday ride. Heading back home.

3. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RM 474 north, RM 473 east, US 281 south, and FM 311 east between Boerne and New Braunfels, TX.

4. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm glad I got about 300 miles worth of fun in on Saturday, because this week is NOT going to be good motorcycle weather in Texas. I'll ride in the snow, but it's looking like freezing rain with ice covered roads. Ummmm, no thank you. I'm sure I can handle it, but I don't want to be a hockey puck for all the idiots doing the ice-capades in their big trucks.
    Bobmws likes this.
  5. DavePave

DavePave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I checked out some of you youtube videos. Good work there!! Not as much valve train noise as I expected, and it shifts nice too. I am glad to see you having fun after the previous issues. Seems to be running well in the videos.
    jwaller likes this.
  6. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I forgot just how good this bike can be at stopping. Brand new sidecar tire and pusher tire (I'll replace the front tire in about a week) with brand new brake pads all around and this bike can stop extremely well.

The bike's running so well, it's got me worried. It always seems to be that the bike is running at its best when the s#1t hits the fan. I rode 100 miles today and the bike just handled the ride so smoothly and without issue. Maybe I have shaken the Bokad curse. I just hope my friend Bill isn't stuck with it. We're supposed to meet for a 250 mile dirt ride on Saturday morning. The ride will start and end 100 miles from my house. So, 100 miles to meet Bill, 250 miles of dirt roads, then 100 miles home on blacktop again. Nice, 450 mile ride planned. So far, when Bill and I have ridden Urals together, there's been an issue. I had a flat two times ago. Bill's bike had the short last weekend. We can meet with him on his Ural and me on my Triumph and there will be no issue. Put the two Urals together and stuff just seems to happen. We're doubling the probability of a problem. Wish us luck.
    Bobmws likes this.
  7. Heyload

Heyload Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    *Ahem* I'll just refer you back to post #307...
    jwaller likes this.
  8. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha! Exactly. I can remember just how well everything seemed to be going when *BAM!!!*. That's when the swing-arm snapped. Got that fixed and took my bike to an experienced guy who fixed my set-up. I was in seventh heaven. Feeling better than ever about the bike. What a great ride it gave me across Texas, through New Mexico, Colorado, and part of Wyoming. I can remember feeling that the bike had finally got the kinks fixed. It was handling the trip so smoothly, why did I ever worry? Then, just about an hour after getting into South Dakota, as I got to my son's neighborhood in Rapid City, **SHRIEEEEK** goes the clutch. Man, I thought every possible thing that could break had been replaced. Watching the odometer for the number 33,333 to come up. Then just short of that, I looked up at the road for a bit, looked down to see the odometer..... and it wasn't there! What the f...? Oh well, go figure. I ride it to work a couple days later. I'm on the road and the speed limit drops from 50 mph to 35 mph and I'm slowing down. I glance at the speedometer to see how fast I'm going. The Ural's like, "How the hell do I know and what's it to ya?". The speedometer needle is spinning round and round the face of the speedometer in a clockwise motion, like a second hand sped up to about 100 times normal speed. The fact that everything's going well right now makes me worry. Yeah, you're probably right. Only when I forget to worry about it will the bike let me down. So tomorrow when I'm out on a rather long ride, I'm just going to keep expecting the worst, no matter how well things are going. Because Ural.
    Alexander B and Heyload like this.
  9. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, yesterday's ride started great, besides the grey skies, fog, humidity, and damp roads which were slicker than snot. Perfect conditions for riding a Ural among a bunch of dudes on dual sport and ADV bikes. Bill, the same guy with the Retro which had problems last weekend, was out for the ride again. On this video, we found a road which was out with construction and barriers and had to improvise to get the Urals through. Then we continued on. At about 21:00 into this video, we get to a right turn, which had no sign before it. I got in a little hot and really had to slam on all the brakes to make it through. I had been slightly lifting the chair on most of the right turns before this one, and it probably lifted just a bit with this turn. I think Bill's bike didn't slow down enough for the corner. I got through it and looked in my mirror to see Bill shoot off the road and attempt to climb a large game fence with his Retro. I don't know exactly what happened in the collision, but his bike had damage to both sides, the sidecar had a flat tire but no puncture, the left exhaust had scrapes, the front fender was a bit dented, the sidecar was scraped up and dented, and the sidecar fender was really bent out of shape. Behind Bill in the video, you can see a t-post all bent out of shape. Bill's outer rain layer had green paint and a huge gash on the back. Thank God Bill was wearing good gear under his rain suit or that t-post might have broken his back. And Bill's as tough or tougher than the Ural. No broken bones, just really sore. For a few days, or weeks maybe.

10. TurTal

TurTal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To fast for conditions

Ya got lucky this time

Slow down and smell the roses

That's what the Ural does best

Bar None and jwaller like this.
  11. TurTal

TurTal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Teachable moment recorded

Looking at the speedo of Mr. Wallers rig you can see he's moving at around 50+mph

That's fast man on those little shitty pot filled roads.....I know....we ride them a lot to get to different areas of the desert

You can see Mr. Waller getting on the binders hard and losing his line quickly in the turn

He recovers nicely but he could have been in real trouble had there been an oncoming vehicle

I'm glad your friend is ok and we didn't lose another Uralista...remember were already a rare breed

Your friend is tuff to be sure but you can clearly see in his face that his wheels are turning as he's thinking how life changing things may turn out to be today

Please.....slow down out there

A sidecar is an extremely dangerous machine when it gets out of your control...a rollover can kill or put you in a wheelchair 4ever

Unlike your 2 wheeled ride the Ural will absolutely eat your fucking lunch if you get beyond its limits

Be careful...slow down and pay attention to what you're doing at all times

I know you guys know all this already

But

This video is a good reminder of the consequences of when we forget to apply what we already know

Even when you're doing everything right it's still really fucking dangerous...you don't need to add to it

Ride safe gentleman

And remember..............ATGATT !!!

Cheers !

davide, jwaller and Bar None like this.
  12. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    We're gonna have to think up some new nicknames for you and Bill.

"Crash" and "Dent"?

"Broke" and "Bent"?

"Lucky" and "Chance"?
    davide, Bar None and jwaller like this.
  13. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A bit of fun Saturday, before "the incident".

14. CrankyTom

CrankyTom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A guy at the Ural NE spring rally a few years ago had a pair of sidecar dogs named "Crash and Burn".
  15. Heyload

Heyload Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    Somewhere there is a guardian angel undergoing therapy for PTSD...
    jwaller and TurTal like this.
  16. davide

davide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad he is ok! Be safe out there!
    Btw, did you ever figure out what was wrong with his bike that stranded him?
  17. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, there was a wire in the bucket where the insulation had come off and it was making contact and shorting out, blowing the main fuse. Bill taped that up and also used some old inner-tube material to help cushion it to keep that from happening again. I guess he's got bigger problems now :muutt
  18. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone in for getting together and meeting a bunch of Ural riding foil-heads, there's going to be a get-together and maintenance day at my house this Saturday, the 27th. Anyone from the central Texas area, like around San Antonio and/or Austin who has absolutely nothing better to do with their time on a Saturday. At least a few will show up. If you're interested in coming out and getting your rig aligned or want to just hang out, send me a pm and I'll get you the address and other information.
    davide and Bar None like this.
  19. High Octane

High Octane Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dang. I was planning on going to Tucson by the way of Austin this week but the plan changed and we are going by way of Colorado instead. I would have dropped by with the Big Kwack and given those Urals the what for!
  20. davide

davide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanx 4 the update and best wishes to Bill for a prompt recovery of both man & machine.
    Bobmws likes this.