My White Rim Trail Dream (or Nightmare)??

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by snooker, Mar 31, 2019.

1. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    So... last night I had a vivid dream from back in 2010 about the first off road ride I took on my newly purchased 2007 BMW G650 XCountry. The ride was on the legendary and surreal White Rim Trail near Moab, Utah, above the Colorado River and the Green River in Canyonlands National Park.

I've included some actual pictures from the trip and some I screen shots from Google Earth that really show the hard sections, to help you visualize it with me...

Everything started off fine, I stashed some gas on the return road so we could get a splash on our way back to camp and not run out of gas. It was a beautiful early Spring day and I loaned my buddy my old 1984 Honda XR350L to ride along with me, and off we went from our campsite. He was an avid mountain biker and hiker but a beginner on motorcycles.

WhiteRimXC1.jpg
    WhiteRimXC2.jpg
    WhiteRimXC3.jpg
    Dracula, Kiharaikido, bomose and 2 others like this.
  2. snooker

Oddometer:
    After awhile I noticed the road ahead looked pretty gnarly and sure enough when I got there it was so off camber I barely made it up the steep sections. I had to really twist the throttle and was fishtailing sideways on a straight road as if I was drifting around a corner on a speedway dirt track.... This was to be a common occurrence in what was to be the most difficult ride in my 40 years of riding (10 years ago).

WhiteRim1.JPG
    WhiteRim2.JPG
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  3. snooker

Oddometer:
    On every sketchy part, my buddy panicked and was too scared he would slide off over the edge of the canyon so I had to ride my 650 first, then walk all the way back and ride my 350 up it as well. All this extra walking was taking forever. We rode for 8 hours like this and finally stopped for lunch next to a group of local Mormons who were riding camels with massive saddlebags and gave us ice cold beer and whiskey shots.

WhiteRim3.JPG
    WhiteRim6.JPG
    eddie-mcstiff-s-polygamy-porter.png
    Dracula and Dutchgit like this.
  4. snooker

Oddometer:
    I mean can you blame him? Just look at these crazy off camber roads!! I was glad I was on 2 wheels and not stuck in a 4x4 that might at any time start to roll or slide and trap you inside it until while it eventually did a Thelma and Louise over the cliff.

WhiteRim7.JPG WhiteRim8.JPG WhiteRim9.JPG
    thelma.jpg
  5. snooker

Oddometer:
    At this point in my dream I was wondering.... WHY am I having this nightmare about riding in the most beautiful part of the planet in the canyons of SE Utah? I love this place! It reminded me of 30 years ago whenever I would race an enduro on mountain trails in Colorado, in my dreams that night I would always have nightmares about missing a corner and launching off over the edge into space...

But back to reality, I noticed my crappy rear shock that kept bottoming had finally let a knobby of my tire grab the bottom of my fender and ripped it off so it was only being held on by my the wires that lit up my license plate, so I had to bungee it onto what remained of my fender. (This later became knowns as FARFS !!! (Floppy Ass Rear Fender Syndrome) and later I fashioned stiff side plates to support my new fender.)

WhiteRimXC4.jpg
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  6. snooker

Oddometer:
    Anyhow we persevered and got around to the west side where we were now above the Green River. At this point we had been riding 15 hours and were delusional, sleep deprived, out of water and suffering from heatstroke. But just before midnight, the sun was still high up in the sky and I don't know why but after 290 miles we never ran out of gas on our 2.5 gallon tank! My feet were blistered from all the walking I had to do to go back and shuttle my buddy's bike through all the hard parts. These boots were NOT made for walking Nancy!

WhiteRim5.JPG
  7. snooker

Oddometer:
    Suddenly I could see off in the distance the road that would lead us back up from Mineral Bottom to the top bench and back to the start and our trail would be over - we would survive!! But while I was looking in the distance I crested a corner and suddenly - holy crap! the trail drops off and makes a steep turn and slides along a ledge getting more and more off camber. I jumped off the bike as she slid sideways stopping a few inches from going over the ledge... I looked back at my buddy just in time to see him miss the corner and slide over the edge and plummet end over end until he AND my old 350 landed in the Green River, splat! The bike was gone. Sunk. Luckily he could swim.

I had a tow rope and it was just long enough to reach my buddy through the tamarisk thickets and get him back up onto the trail. From there the road was ridiculous, it was so off camber we had to walk/drag my 650 by driving in a stake and roping the bike forward over and over, going back to pull up the stakes and re-set them up ahead. Whoever has ridden this section is a moto god!

WhiteRim10.JPG
    Dutchgit likes this.
  8. snooker

Oddometer:
    It was now well after midnight but though it took us 2 hours to traverse this 200 yard section, we were still alive. We doubled up on the 650 and rode it up to the top of the mesa to find my gas can. But my tank was only half empty, didn't need gas. I figured we got 455 miles per gallon, surely a new record for me! We made it back to camp and slept for 2 days straight, so relieved to be alive. He never rode with me ever again.

If you don't believe this story is true, just ask the blind man - he saw it too. :ksteve

RIP My animal spirit XCountry:

IMG_5012.JPG IMG_6415.jpg
    Kiharaikido, DRONE, eaglescan and 3 others like this.
  9. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Nice story Matt !
  10. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    plausible
  11. snooker

Oddometer:
  12. computer_freak

computer_freak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice story. Do you have a parts number on that side stand?
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  13. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    cruel dude, snooker....
  14. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being April 1 and all, plus having ridden WRT and couldn't remember that much off camber parts of the trail, I smelled a rat! But it was fun reading it. :lol3

I do give you credit for putting some effort into it though!
    AZ TOM and simbaboy like this.
  15. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    What a Pro
  16. snooker

Oddometer:
    If you have never used the 3D mode in Google Earth you should try it out. You have to get used to the mouse controls for rotating, moving, zooming. It stretches flat roads and puts them up on their sides in certain areas where they are next to steep walls:

Here is a link to the last picture I showed above: Google Earth 3D on White Rim Trail by Green River
  17. snooker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reading though!
  18. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Those Mormon camel guys have saved my butt on more than one occasion. Thanks for the memories Matt!
  19. MotoWarrior

MotoWarrior n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Snooker- I am a noob to this forum and very sorry to drop in like this. I saw your a old listing you had posted last year to parting out your G650 and would like to know if you still have the grab bars and passenger foot pegs for sale. If so, please let me know how I should further this. Thanks.