My Wife And I Ride Mexico For A Month

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dwj - Donnie, Feb 12, 2010.

1. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto

Some folks don't get it. Don't be scared, be careful! :deal Use common sense. Locking yourself up in your "little world" is not using common sense. But in the end, it is his loss and his ignorance not ours! :D

Hey, on a positive note, we replaced the 3/4 shift fork on the GS this past week end and it is back on the road! :clap

Donnie
  2. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you don't buy insurance for travel in Mexico you are walking a tightrope. Though it is unlikely, if you do happen to cause damages to someone you will not have the services of a lawyer who can get you an "amparo".
    And if you don't know what an "amparo" is you should educate yourself as to how it works and how valuable it can be to those riding/driving while in Mexico. The insurance is not that expensive and again, if you ever need a lawyer to get you an "amparo" you'll be more than happy that you paid for the insurance.
    Most people recognize that Mexico is not the USA or Britain or wherever but most also do not know the intricacies of Mexican criminal law. Even the most brief overview of how it functions can really help you.
  3. abogado68

abogado68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I couldn't agree more. I feel sad and angry everytime somebody who's only knowledge of Mexico is Tijuana, who go to TJ to get drunk and stoned says, that they have traveled to Mexico and it's dangerous and unsafe.

Once again, thank you for our kind comments about Mexico and hopefully you won't need an amparo, but if so, My firm will gladly write you one...no charge.
  4. abogado68

abogado68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm an attorney in Mexico and a Juicio de Amparo, does not get you a free ticket, nor does it free you of any liability. It does however protect you if your Mexican Constitutional rights were violated.

Raul.
  5. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

I'm sure you are correct! I have always had insurance when I rode into Mexico. Of course I did think it was mandatory. I took out 12 months insurance last year planning on making another trip before it expired!

OK! What is an Amparo? This is not a test, is it?

Donnie
  6. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Y'all are confusing me! :eek1 It don't take much! :D What do I need or need to know besides having liability insurance. January 2011 is getting closer!

Donnie
  7. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks! :clap :clap :clap
  9. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    The abogados are correct. However, I am sure they see my point which is that if you need an amparo and don't have insurance and access to an abogado (attorney/lawyer) you will wish you had. If you can get an amparo you will also not be spending much time in custody and can likely be a whole lot more comfortable about things.
  12. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Point taken and appreciated! :clap

Donnie
  13. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I can ever pry my ass off my bike long enough.......

Got all bzillion pix uploaded to smugmug. Now just gotta come up with some readable lies. :evil
  14. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    You continue to make solid high-value offers to the ADV community, mi Hno. Muchissimas gracias!! Look forward to meeting you one day down there.
  15. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Me too! :D

Donnie
  16. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

OK! :deal
  17. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    The date is set: August 30 we will be heading out for another month or so of moto/camping in the northwest! :clap We will re-visit some of the areas covered in this RR: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392321 and picking up some new areas in the Canadian Rocky Mountains and WA/OR National and State Parks. We have not decided yet if we will be doing a Ride Report on this trip. We will be carrying a laptop, so if we do a RR, it would be from the road.

Please wave if we pass you! :D

Donnie
  18. tylerjwhite

tylerjwhite Wandering Mtn Goat

Oddometer:
    Outstanding!!!

If your in the Utah area do send me a PM and maybe I can take some time and do a day ride with ya.
  19. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

OK! :D
  20. RockyRoads

RockyRoads RockyRoads

Oddometer:
    Donnie, I hope that you and Sheryl have a fun and safe journey! Our family just returned today from a month-long trip through Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana. The goal was to ride as many dirt biking areas as we could. We also spent a few days hiking and exploring Glacier National Park, which was spectacular and far exceeded our expectations. I hope that you find the time to post a few photos of your travels, even if you don't do a full ride report.