My year on the road

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Boj, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Boj

Boj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been meaning to do this for a while….. but I am not much of a writer, so I will let the pictures tell the story.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    My wife and I were lucky enough to be able to take a year off of life and travel the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>US</st1:place></st1:country-region>. While most of these types of reports are about packing up the bike and hitting the road, we chose a slightly more comfortable route.
    <o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    Our focus was to be on the National Parks. I think we hit 30 something of them. Here is a google map of the whole trip. There should be lots of palcemarks and routes, give it a second to load.
    <IFRAME height=350 marginHeight=0 src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=101188172113252149262.000464b68a9e0ff7aaa14&ll=40.777132,-118.402402&spn=43.965245,81.897577&output=embed" frameBorder=0 width=425 marginWidth=0 scrolling=no></IFRAME>
    <SMALL>View Where Are Kim and Chris? in a larger map</SMALL>

OK, picture time. As you may guess, we have thousands of pictures from the trip. I will try and limit them to the bike related ones. If you really want to know the whole story, we blogged the whole trip. www.wherearekimandchris.com has enough reading to keep you busy for days.

Our first park of the trip, Mammoth cave in the beginning of November 2008.
    Looking for warmth and sunshine, we headed down to the <st1:City><st1:place>New Orleans</st1:place></st1:City> area to visit old friends. Took the bikes into the city for a few daytrips.
    Here I am changing my first flat on the way back from <st1:City><st1:place>New Orleans</st1:place></st1:City>. Not looking too happy at the moment.
    For me, this is when the trip really started. Big Bend NP was a great place for the adventure bikes. We were here for 3 weeks waiting for another part of the country to warm up. Mid December to early Jan 2009.
    This was pretty much the end of my wife’s dirt riding. She dropped the bike 4 times on a easy trail/rough road. She was good about it, wouldn't turn around and give up until she almost hurt herself on the fourth time.
    Arrrggghh, another flat.
    [​IMG]
    OMG, what a pain in the butt it is to do these ride reports. I have read/enjoyed enough of them that I feel I owe my contribution, so I will get it done. The pictures/locations get better as the trip goes on so stick around.<o:p></o:p>
  2. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures Boj team , more please.
  3. Thorne

Thorne Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer:
    Nice photos, Looking forward to more:lurk
  4. Boj

Boj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>Big Bend</st1:place>, we headed north to <st1:place>Carlsbad Caverns</st1:place>. This is a must see. <st1:place><st1:placeName>Mammoth</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Cave</st1:placeType></st1:place> is known for it’s size, but it really is nothing more than a giant hole in the ground. The pic in the previous post was one of the very few interesting formations in the whole cave. <st1:City><st1:place>Carlsbad</st1:place></st1:City> is a whole different story. It is filled with wild formations.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    The hills outside of <st1:place><st1:City>Silver City</st1:City> <st1:State>NM</st1:State></st1:place>.
    <st1:place><st1:placeName>Joshua</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName>Tree</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>National Park</st1:placeType></st1:place>. This is one of 2 best campsites of the whole trip, think it was $8 bucks/night:<o:p></o:p>
    Hey, how did this get in here??? J well, I guess it is bike related….sorta<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    Searching for warmth again, we head to <st1:place>Death Valley</st1:place> sometime in the beginning of March.<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    Next up was the <st1:place>Grand Canyon</st1:place>. Another ‘can’t miss’ destination. Not much riding, as it was cold, but that big hole in the ground is incredibly beautiful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you have the time and energy, a hike down to the canyon floor is well worth the effort. Cresting the rim of the canyon the next day was one of the most emotional moments of the whole trip.
    Somewhere outside <st1:place><st1:City>Sedona</st1:City> <st1:State>AZ.</st1:State></st1:place><o:p></o:p>
    <st1:place><st1:placeName>Glen</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName>Canyon</st1:placeName></st1:place><o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    Coming up is <st1:City><st1:place>Zion</st1:place></st1:City> and <st1:State><st1:place>Utah</st1:place></st1:State>! The best dirt riding of the trip.
  5. duhgee

duhgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay, now I'm expecting a year's worth of pictures showing more perfect weather, gorgeous colors, great rides, and good stories. You set the standard too high with your first batch of pics. Amazing stuff. Thanks for sharing! :thumb
  6. Vinbowie

Vinbowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wonderful ! :thumb

:ricky
  7. Ks-Rydr

Ks-Rydr from the land of Toto

Oddometer:
    Looking good.... :thumb Waiting for more.... :lurk
  8. Laros

Laros Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <TABLE id=post12393655 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD id=td_post_12393655 class=alt1>
    OMG, what a pain in the butt it is to do these ride reports. I have read/enjoyed enough of them that I feel I owe my contribution, so I will get it done. The pictures/locations get better as the trip goes on so stick around.<o:p></o:p>
    <!-- / message -->

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Keep it up!!! Great start!:clap

It is a lot of work and time to do the RR, but it is worth it (for us as well as you!!)

Now get back at it.:ddog
  9. mike

mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the picture of you fixing the second flat tire. Great pic's.

:lurk
  10. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great RR, thanks for sharing!!!

11. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    :nod :thumb
  12. Boj

Boj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Deal.

The beauty of having no reservations and only a loose travel plan meant we could follow the good weather. For the most part, it worked fine....till we got to the Northwet. That was a month of no sun, felt like being back in Rochester NY :)
  13. Boj

Boj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>Grand Canyon</st1:place> we went north to <st1:place><st1:placeName>Zion</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>National Park</st1:placeType></st1:place>. Again, not a lot of riding. If you get there, and can only do one hike, make it the Angel’s Landing. A strenuous hike along a knife edge cliff with ladders and chain railings.
    How fake does this look?
    You can see the knife edge trail in this one<o:p></o:p>
    <st1:place><st1:placeName>Zion</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Valley</st1:placeType></st1:place>
    [​IMG]
    This is one of the many chunks of petrified wood in Petrified Forest NP.
    [​IMG]
    Mesa Verde NP had a great road leading into the park. Worth the visit just for that, the cliff houses were a bonus. We are into April at this point.
    [​IMG]
    OK, back to motorcycles…. This is somewhere around Telluride, CO
    [​IMG]
    BLM land outside of <st1:place><st1:City>Salida</st1:City>, <st1:State>CO</st1:State></st1:place><o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Took a ride up Pike’s Peek.
    Tired of the snow by this point, it was finally time to head into the high <st1:place><st1:placeType>desert</st1:placeType> of <st1:placeName>Utah</st1:placeName></st1:place>. First stop is <st1:country-region><st1:place>MOAB</st1:place></st1:country-region>!!!! Time to put on the knobbies for only the second time all trip and do some real dirt riding. Best of all, one of my wife’s best friends came for a visit. That means lots of time to ride by myself. I have a SPOT in case of emergencies. <o:p></o:p>
    <st1:country-region><st1:place>Moab</st1:place></st1:country-region> is right next to Canyonlands and <st1:place><st1:placeName>Arches</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>National Parks</st1:placeType></st1:place>. You’ve all seen a million <st1:country-region><st1:place>Moab</st1:place></st1:country-region> pix, so I will just show my best ones. <o:p></o:p>
    View from <st1:City><st1:place>Mesa</st1:place></st1:City> Arch<o:p></o:p>
    <st1:place>Colorado river</st1:place> from the Shafer Trail<o:p></o:p>
    View from the White Rim Trail
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Overlooking <st1:place><st1:placeName>Harrah</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Pass</st1:placeType></st1:place><o:p></o:p>
    Took a long ride down to the lower portion of Canyonlands known as the Needles section. The ride ranged between <st1:metricconverter ProductID="60 mph">60 mph</st1:metricconverter> dirt road to clutch slipping/tire spinning crawls up rock hills. It finally got me to this.
    Leaving the Needles area was a gas station. Pulled in as I had about <st1:metricconverter ProductID="130 miles">130 miles</st1:metricconverter> on this tank and was in the middle of nowhere. They wanted double the going rate for a gallon of gas. On principle (and after some quick calculations) I tore out of there without filling up. According to my GPS, a good size town is <st1:metricconverter ProductID="25 miles">25 miles</st1:metricconverter> away. My gas light isn’t on yet, I should be fine. <st1:metricconverter ProductID="10 miles">10 miles</st1:metricconverter> later, of course, the gas light comes on. My GPS gives distances as the crow flies, not by roads. Wasn’t too worried cause I was on a road heading right for town. <st1:metricconverter ProductID="10 miles">10 miles</st1:metricconverter> later, the road does a left turn and I am now heading away from town…D’oh! Time to stop and evaluate the situation. I could turn around and head back to the gouging gas station, but that is now <st1:metricconverter ProductID="20 miles">20 miles</st1:metricconverter> in the wrong direction. Per my GPS, I am still <st1:metricconverter ProductID="20 miles">20 miles</st1:metricconverter> from town with the road heading in the wrong direction. Ahhh, screw it, I am heading to town. I recently passed a pickup truck with a couple of KTMs in the back. Worse comes to worse, I can flag them down when they catch up to me. Another <st1:metricconverter ProductID="10 miles">10 miles</st1:metricconverter> down the road I hit the main road, <st1:metricconverter ProductID="15 miles">15 miles</st1:metricconverter> south to the town. Not sure if I have enough gas to make it, I quickly pull over and flag down the pickup. They actually had a gas can in back and gave me a gallon of gas and refused any payment. Thanks guys!<o:p></o:p>
    Delicate Arch
    The only time I was really concerned about riding by myself was on this following trail. It was one of those deals where I kept sayin’ to myself ‘well, you come this far, I am sure this is the last tough obstacle…’<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next we finish up <st1:State><st1:place>Utah</st1:place></st1:State>. Capitol Reef, Escalante and <st1:place><st1:placeName>Bryce</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName>Canyon</st1:placeName></st1:place>.<o:p></o:p>
  14. Dr LC8

Dr LC8 ...soon or later

Oddometer:
    That is cool.:clap

It sounds like a good way to travel.
    Some part of the States are really gorgeus. I would really like to take my bike across there one day.:evil

Ciao

Nic
  15. Penguin69

Penguin69 Its in my spine

Oddometer:
    Awesome! :clap

Keep it coming please!
  16. BusyWeb

BusyWeb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wonderful RR...
    Thanks

And... you're camp photo at the Joshua Park..
    I had camping at the same site you had.
    Here is the proof....
    ha ha ha
    I am pretty sure its same spot....^^:

Comparing photo and landscape..

Last year My Camping Photo

[​IMG]

And Your Camping Photo
    [​IMG]
  17. Greenflyfarmer

Greenflyfarmer I'm better now.

Oddometer:
    Great pictures. I can't tell you how jealous I am. To get my wife to go, I'd have to take her in the camper too.
  18. SauS TaR-TaR

SauS TaR-TaR Go BaBy Go...

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] To For This RR & Pic!
  19. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Stunning so far. Not much of a reader so enjoyed the pix. Well done.
  20. the darth peach

the darth peach eats crackers in bed

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures!!