Myanmar,Malaysia,Thailand,Laos and Cambodia and 4 months to see it

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gavo, Nov 30, 2015.

1. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Recently retired from regular work, Wife and I decided to ship a bike to S E Asia and revisit some countries and explore some new to us .
    Shipping the bike was the first hiccup, I couldn't tie a company down to a definite time or price and as I got a bit ahead of myself and booked a Myanmar trip before I had a shipping date I started to stress as time wound down. Stewart Garmey of Tradelanes came to the rescue and was a lot of help.
    Also Bee Kheoh of Alliance logistics in Kuala Lumpur for Handling the paperwork in KL.
    The crate is a factory Dr 650 unit from the local Suzuki dealer exchange for a carton of beer:-)
    The normally throw them in a rubbish skip but he already had a DR on the floor that's why the beer.

[​IMG]

The bike was in the crate 6 weeks before shipping thanks to various false starts:rofl
    We flew to Singapore while the bike was shipped to Port Klang Malaysia.
    Singapore for 3 nights then train to KL
    Some of Singapore

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pick the Lego and pick the real ones

[​IMG]

Second hiccup, Import approval, can't be done online for first time must be signed in person with carbon copy(people still use carbon paper) approval can take 5 working days and the port officials may or may not require it, so 10 days in KL just hanging.
    Bird park
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Batu cave
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Under the railway station
    [​IMG]
    Local Ducati dealer
    [​IMG]
    Thean Hou temple
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Someone got stung enough to stick these up everywhere:rofl
    [​IMG]
    Until finally we got the bike which left us 6 days to cover the 2350ks to Mae Sai/Tachileik on the Nth Thailand/Myanmar border to meet the tour:photog

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Suncoaster likes this.
  2. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to it.
  3. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:
    Looks like fun to me. Thanks for taking the time! Keep up the good work. Burma is on the list.

Kindest regards,
    John Downs
  4. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    So now because of limited time we make a beeline North,KL to Bukit Kayu Hitam the bordertown with Thailand, 476ks stayed in an average hotel on the highway and struggled to find somewhere to eat.
    Up early the next morning to deal with the border crossing.

[​IMG]
    rode straight through to Chumphon 537ks and the arse was really feeling the DR seat, on a side note my wife feels her Airhawk was a complete waste of money.
    At Chumphon we found the Mercy hotel tucked off the main drag for $20 for a large double room and after a bit of walking around a little open air dining area with very friendly locals.
    [​IMG]

You'll have to excuse the absence of more scenic shots we just didn't have the time, thats for the return trip.
  5. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Chumphon to Ratchiburi 400ks and a nice place for dinner called the "Container" owned by a couple the wife of which worked in New York for a while (good english)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next Ratchiburi to Tak 500ks found a nice hotel by the river, a bit above budget again but what the hell:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tak to Mae Sai, the border with Myanmar( Tachileik) 467ks all up about 2350 ks in 5 days, I thought it would be good to get in with a day to spare to give the arse a rest for a day before another 5 day stretch across Myanmar to meet the crossing group.
    Hiccup no 3 coming up.
    A random stop near Chaing Rai

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The crossing from Thailand,It looks clear in this shot it was chaos the day before
    [​IMG]

Local ride, Yamaha complete with big fin head.
    [​IMG][/URL

And the buses here are very artistic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [email protected] likes this.
  6. 1km

1km sgBikerBoy.com

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! Looks like it's gonna be quite an adventure!
  7. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Think I'll stick around for this one.

Enjoy and be safe
  8. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Lack of updates due to hectic schedule and shit internet.
    Hiccup no 3, we passed through immigration no probs, we had visa's from the consulate in Canberra Aus. the problem was the bike, because we had problems clearing customs in Malaysia, Burma senses didn't lodge our approval until the 23rd, then there was the 3 day holiday and the Myanmar public service we sat at the border for 2 days. We left Tachileik in the late afternoon to cover the 157ks to Kengtang, the sun set a good 1.5 hours before our destination. Dark twisting mountain roads,dogs,cattle, vehicles with no lights,and DR Suzuki headlight.
    Before border crossing hill tribe going home
    [​IMG]

Pile in
    [​IMG]

Wife's new best friend, she's 79 and has attitude:jack
    [​IMG]

No man's land between borders
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So while we wait we have our government officer,guide,2 drivers all waiting for approval.
    We get taken for lunch here
    [​IMG]

Stay overnight in a hotel in Tachileik
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I'm not making sense however, been drinking this
    [​IMG]

Next day Kengtang to Taunggyi, beers the night before and a taste of the local Grand Royal whisky so best thing a nice oily breakfast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]:photog

More twisties, potholes,scenery 40ks/1.5 hours, national highway 4 .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Just a few more random scenery shots between Kengtang and Taunggyi
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [email protected] and goodcat like this.
  10. mcc66

mcc66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My favorite part of the world. Look forward to following your progress, hopefully with lots and lots of photos. Thanks for sharing your travels with us.

:thumb

mcc66
    Michael
  11. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Ok so I've got a bit of internet atm so we left Taunggyi early as we still had to make up time.A quick stop at a shop in a little town with a friendly owner, 3 generations and the oldest one was a camera tart:lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

so a short cut up the 2 lane highway where I was pulled over twice by Police because my headlight was on, lucky my handlers arrived to smooth things out. Lunch a Myanmar equivalent of a mega truckstop eatery, My wife elected to ride in the van at the second police stop, good timing it started to rain just after that and continued through Mandalay until about 50kms before Monywa.
    When we arrived Win and AK our guides made us an offer that was appealing, wait in the 3.5 star resort or ride up to border and back, we opted to wait for the group:wingspool, cold beer,relax.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From now on less hectic more interesting
  12. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Nice RR enjoying!
  13. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    Looks like you and wifey are having a good trip. How many riders are in your Myanmar group?
  14. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    9 bikes 3 pillions and 1 camper with it's owner, updates should improve when we get into Thailand with better internet
  15. tgh05

tgh05 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    subscribed ...
  16. DaveTrx

DaveTrx n00b

Oddometer:
    Subscribed Gav. Take care and love to Anne.
    Dave & Trish
  17. WrldRiderWC

WrldRiderWC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    having been born in Yangon, traveled and ridden there, it's great to follow you through your adventure. Keep posting. Love the people, scenery, food and whatever else the trip has to offer,
  18. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Sorry about progress on updates notebook is giving trouble and had another dose of the D,s and V,s. Crossing to Laos today then hopefully I can sort things
    rudin68 likes this.
  19. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    w

Ok, using on screen keyboard as qwrtyuop don''t work on keyboard.
    Met the people in the group most had travelled from UK or Europe.
    2 from south Africa,1 American,1 Netherlands,2 Austria,1 Spain,1 Argintine,2 England and an Australian headed home from the UK.
    sorrry thiis way to hard/time consuming. report will continue when i get home
  20. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Ok while we were waiting for people to come back from Tamu on the border my wife and I made the most of some off bike time to explore Monywa and surrounds. 1st morning I watched the landscape crew at work on the resort gardens, all women no wheelbarrow, they shovelled the sand onto a spread sack and carried it.
    [​IMG]
    we decided to walk into the central part of town and have a look around , this is the clock in the middle of town and it seems most towns have one very much the same.
    [​IMG]

Not a lot to see in town we went to a bakery to buy something, they had these pastries with a filling that was like a cross between strawberry jam and chocolate:getiton
    We started back in the direction of the hotel and found this,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we wandered down streets past old colonial buildings that were rundown but you can see they would have been grand in the day.
    we got back to the hotel for a swim then I left Anne at the pool while went across the road to check out the restaurant for diner.

[​IMG]

It appears some beer drinkers come here :D

[​IMG]

this is the place ,little did I realize that I would be dining solo due to to much sun and a bad pinacolada by the pool :rofl

[​IMG]