1. eNewsletter Sign Up

myth of the light weight adventure bike for dirt and adv riding?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by B1, Mar 14, 2013.

1. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm with you on that. My WR250X/R does just fine on the road and off. I have had more fun on a 28 hp bike than I have most others. Good suspension and light weight are a great combination.
    Powderaddict and octopusenvy like this.
  2. octopusenvy

octopusenvy gravel grommit

Oddometer:
    Every statement can begin or end with 'to each their own' here. so i agree with what you are all saying. I have a mate with a BEAUTIFUL Ducati Hypermotard SP that he takes on gravel at times. I've ridden it and I'm smitten...but not for the price. Also, i'm like manybike and think it's too much big money to ride rough off-road.

I think my lists are fairly accurate, but depends on lots of factors including personal preference, as well as the 4factors i listed.
    manybike likes this.
  3. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    A hyper isn't an offroad bike, its a street bike dressed up like a dual-sport. Nothing about that machine is "dirty" per se except the seating position.

$1,200 to replace a handgaurd should pretty much prove that one.
    octopusenvy likes this.
  4. manybike

Oddometer:
    Octopusenvy, in your list you mentioned the Honda 250 Adventure. Is that the concept 250 rally you are referring to ?
  5. deguoren

deguoren 该出手时就出手

Oddometer:
    I own a Xchallenge and a 800 GS. The X is vibrating too much for long motorway rides and all day Street rides. It is perfect for dualsport trips and multiday rides with little luggage. The 800 is very capable even in single trails and very agile considering its weight. But for serious riding the suspension sucks, even after swaping to Hyperpro front and rear. Its heavy if you lay beneath it... so I am much more cautious if riding alone.
  6. octopusenvy

Oddometer:
    Yes, sorry i meant the rally not the adventure. obviously it is still yet to come to market, but I believe it will with a high price for a 250, yet a good value for what it offers.
  7. octopusenvy

Oddometer:
    Hmm, it could be the tyre combination you are using? I never found my X to be vibey, in fact I had a steering damper that I never put on because it was fine. I'd say more than likely something else is at play. Not a popular mod for the X when it didn't need it. KTMs and other bikes however....
  8. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Gentlemen I present the Rally Raid CB500X (yeah I said that)

tokyoklahoma and markinthailand like this.
  9. octopusenvy

Oddometer:
    CB500x Adventure? Nah, heavier bike better suited for 2up gravel touring and cost will push it well out of my top10. Also only a 19in front wheel? Of course it's doable, just like a vespa is. But for real broad range performance, i like my list better. Glad its an option for some out there though, as the worst feature of a bike is often that everyone has the same one! ;)
  10. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    I dunno I'm of two minds about it. Granted its a tad heavy and underpowered, but I was thinking more in terms of the requirement to do big mileage with minimal maintenance (or hand numbing) PLUS as noted in the video they are cheap as chips, I can get one use here for something like ¥300,000 ..likely less if I turn an auction buyer loose..... so the possibility is there to be fully farkled and hardened for well below $10,000.....more like in the $7,500-8,000 range The bike is only $6,299 new, add $500 for ABS...the RR Stage Three Kit is $2,600.....you are still under 10 grand starting from new. Less than a 690 chassis is going to cost you.

Plus the only thing you are adding for weight is basically luggage and bash gaurd..you are likely right around the #450 mark fueled and rolling. Which I agree is pretty heavy, but its nothing compared to a big GS or Adventure R. But 450 pounds with a 250 mile (stock) range and wind protection, would certainly be workable.....basically a ghetto Africa Twin that is a lot easier to pick up.
    tokyoklahoma likes this.
  11. octopusenvy

Oddometer:
    Tripped1, you have sound logic if you are buying new i suppose, but what you gain in reliability I think you will lose in performance. i've never bought new and likely never will. My RTW xchallenge just cost me 3000usd+200 2register in my name (as a foreigner). Its got every farkle I'd need and is in good used condition. Obviously price is important to me, as I'd rather spend the money on the riding adventure, but still have a solid, light, exciting, capable bike. There are of course some compromises in my choice, but very very few. It is also very inconspicuous, and the cb500x still 'looks' like a flash bike even if it isn't. For 3grand, my only other options would be a DR or DRZ, possibly an older KLR etc...BORING!!

I can't wait to get going on the bike and on this trip! Doing the CDR across the Rockies in July and then from Banff heading to Van and the coast back south on my way to Ushuaia! I'll stop for a few months to avoid rainy season and the heat of Mexico in summer, then start up again in December. Still deciding to ride Central America or skip it and ship the bike to Columbia. Tough call, so I'm still undecided. I've been to Mex/Belize/Guatemala, but keen to visit Costa Rica and Honduras...but multiple borders, costs, and getting across Darian Gap have me thinking to skip. Oh, and I'm married so I can't likely take more than 4months in total for the lower Americas!
  12. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Or a CB500X....for reference that ¥300,000 figure is $2,600 that is the market here, a lot of low mileage machines get tossed off as guys move up the licensing tiers. A quick look at cycle-trader has a 2013 with 4,000 miles on it for $3,800,

Ideally I would be building off of a KTM 690, however since KTM Japan is basically useless for anything other than getting bikes into the country that is big money for a machine that likely can't go with me when I leave here (and I will leave here in 2-4 years) because I will never be able to get a certificate of conformity out of them to make the NSTA/EPA gods happy, I would never be able to register it in the states. This is the reason that I buy almost all of my parts from the US and ship them, basically fuck KTM JP.

Oh that and I need something, because my 1290 is going to get me in trouble commuting, its just to fast and eventually the police are going to catch up with me. I can ride basically all year here, so a cheapo commuter that doesn't kill me on maintenance bits (like my $150 dollar brake pads, and 77 dollar oil change kits) so cheap and chips and easily hardened sounds better and better the more I think about it.
  13. manybike

Oddometer:
    I live near Banff. Let me know when you are around.
    octopusenvy likes this.
  14. manybike

Oddometer:
    I just found a G650 X moto for sale near me. Same chassis and motor as the challenge but 17" wheels. Knobbies on the 17's may be okay for the lighter kind of off roading I do. Also found a nice x challenge all frazzled up but it is priced a lot higher. Not sure if it is worth going from the 250X to a 650.
  15. octopusenvy

Oddometer:
    manybike, i can say that the 650x is a lot more mild then you might imagine, I've been on 525, 530, 570 currently and they're all more powerful than the 650x. It's not gutless, but more refined. Power is there if u want it, but it doesn't really attack. Longevity is there too. I think it would give you more versatility then your 250, but not an xmoto with 17s. I'd wait for a better priced 650x, in the 3500-4500 range with low kms and some farkles. 5000 is only worth it if everything is on it, and 6-7000 is overpriced in the current market. good luck with whatever u end up with, hope this is useful.
  16. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    maybe KTM's new parallel twin platform will lead to something interesting?
  17. deguoren

deguoren 该出手时就出手

Oddometer:
    nope I just ride TKC 80. and I rode a few rental X Challenges before. All the same to me. Its a single, singles vibrate... my hands get numb, its just like that...
  18. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    what does a steering damper have to do with vibration?? I'm confused?
  19. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I'll tell you what, if I ever run TKC80s again, I will run a steering dampener with them. I had them on my Aprilia, and as they wore down I was getting some nasty wobbles whenever I leaned over at speed. Not just a little wobble when I went hard into the next gear, but persistent wobbles that were sustained until I stood the bike back up. They severely lacked braking traction as well. They are the only true knobby in 180 mm width, though.

I am running the Pirelli MT60RS, now. Much better at speed, but not as good off road.
  20. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought we were talking about engine vibration?