1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

myth of the light weight adventure bike for dirt and adv riding?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by B1, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    No worries - email and forums make me nuts at times because it's so easy to misunderstand. I've done my fair share:nod

:beer
  2. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    I've been poking around the light-er weight "adventure" bike market (anything can be an adventure bike - depends on what you think of as an adventure). I would like a like a bike in the low 300 lb range that would do reasonably well on the freeway (unfortunately they occasionally need to be ridden on a trip), wouldn't need to be babied off road (I'm not talking single track, but could comfortably ride two track with sand, ruts, "moderate" uphills/downhills/ rocks at my skill level), ridiculously reliable (so probably a Japanese bike) and reasonably comfortable for long days. ABS would be nice, but has to be able to be turned off. And preferably not a thumper.

I looooove my 350exc and my vstrom is a big reliable workhorse. Wish they would get it on in the garage and give me a new bike.

A k-strom (haha!)

Only thing I've seen that's somewhat close is the ktm 640 adventure. Which hasn't been made in 8 years.

Had an xt250 - not a bad little bike. Can actually ride on the freeway (carefully. Now this is written by someone who's first touring bike was a Honda Rebel....) and will carry a surprising amount of crap. However, I expected a little too much of mine off road.

Had a drz400 - also a nice bike, but not at all for freeway riding - especially once you change the gearing to get a decent 1st for dirt. Now if it was a 6 speed....but drz owners have been bitching about that for years and still hasn't changed.

dr650 - meh, klr - too heavy

I've been really thinking about the cb500x with the rally raid, but even though it's about 80 pounds lighter than my strom I still wouldn't be able to pick it up solo.

Weird one - Royal Enfield (I think) Himalayan. not sure we'll get them in the US and I don't know the specs.

Sadly, my bike doesn't exist yet. However, I've been doing a little snooping on line and I think somebody might be listening in on these conversations. While my perfect bike isn't in production it sounds like there's a possibility of some lighter "adventure" bikes in the next few years. TBC
  3. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are thumpers....but CRFL or WRR?
  4. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Something more comfy.

I know. I know....:lol3
  5. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seat concepts, new pegs, bars and risers, windshields, hell you could rig up some highway pegs and a back rest of you need it
    PatriotUSMC and Burro driver like this.
  6. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't it be nice to be able to get that bike stock? Ah well.
  7. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Ha ha...no harm no foul.

Ya, I'm a big time sexist pig know it all brand snob racer and vintage rider come adventure rider supreme. Let's see, about 49 years worth of riding. Yep, a classless brand snob that doesn't like to ride slow. Howz that? :lol2

In the past fifteen years I've owned and ridden these motorcycles:

84 Honda XR250L (first motorcycle after a 15 year hiatus from 1984. Prior to that there was a whole 'nother slew of them.)
    90 Fantic Trials
    78 KTM 400 MC5
    72 Penton 125 ISDT
    74 Penton Jackpiner 175
    02 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom
    94 Honda CR250
    97 GasGas EC250
    2001 Suzuki SV650S
    2007 KTM 250XCFW
    2004 Yamaha WR250F
    2008 Yamaha WR250F
    2009 Kawasaki Versys 650
    2011 Husqvarna TE630
    2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2015 BMW R1200GS

Well, these are just the ones I can remember....there might be a few more in there...like the 70 Honda CT90. I think they called them a 'Trail 90'.

Currently there are $30K worth of bikes in the garage - all two of them that are left.

It's all a matter of perspective I guess. Mine is different than most. I wonder if my history has colored it? Ya think?

:D
  8. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Other option is to improve the suspension on the strom (Cogent is supposed to be great for the strom) and see how much crap I can take off/swap out to get the weight down a bit. Have a skid plate in the garage that needs installing.

Still won't be able to pick it up alone.....and that's probably the biggest issue for me. My long trips are solo.
  9. GotMojo

GotMojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since I had the only CB500X at the rally, I presume that this is directed at me. That bike and I made it to the hot springs intact at a respectable clip.

If you're the ass who insisted on riding in my blind spot hoping I'd go faster, even after I asked you twice to not do that AND responding with 'we usually do this at 90', I have only have one thing to say:

fyyff.jpg

It was a NOVICE ride. It was my first real dirt ride AND my first time on a twisty mountain road. I've been riding less than a month. Yes I was a shaky on the way out. It got easier as the day wore on but how are you supposed to get better if nobody helps you out?

I almost went home that night in disgust. Thank god I met some great people afterwards who convinced me that this was not the way things should be and that I should stick it out.

The CB500X with the Rally Raid kit did great and exceeded all of my expectations. It did exactly what it was supposed to.
  10. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Ah the thrill of the noob. Too bad it wasn't what you expected. And yes, usually ride tandem (side by side on double-track) or quartering to be out of dust. And I said don't worry about it just ride your ride didn't I?

I also said we run 50 to 70 to your 25, not 90, which we also did four more times on that road and rescued noob riders.

Sorry your feelings were hurt...time to toughen up a bit. :freaky
    Drwnite likes this.
  11. GotMojo

GotMojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Feelings hurt, sorry, no. Check your attitude. You were sweeping a novice ride. When somebody asks you to not crowd them, you need to respect it.
  12. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    usually there's not much point to these discussions as they just descend into mud slinging. i actually really like riding off the rear quarter out of the dust, and if the other guy has a bit of speed it really keeps you on your toes. but i would never ever force someone to accept this, and at the first opportunity i'll ask them if they mind.

in australia there's a guy called strummer who has organised hundreds of rides and we've always had the utmost respect for new riders, and appreciated that some are thrown by having others pass close or sit off the rear quarter. on several rides we've had to make polite requests to experienced riders to watch out for the noobs, then by the third warning it's 'stay clear or farq off out of here'.

i've always gained so much pleasure from seeing the grins on the faces of new riders, to me that's a much higher priority than the needs of a guy who has been riding for years and expects the noobs to fit in.

now what was this thread all about again?

yeah wouldn't it be cool if more manufacturers aimed for the light adventure bike/enduro bike market? personally i want suzuki to bore and stroke the DRZ400 to a 500 for extra grunt, slap some RMZ suspension on it, a windscreen and a strong rear rack. yeah baby.
  13. Drwnite

Drwnite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KTM 950 Super Enduro does it all for me, easy choice really!
  14. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE

Sadly, my bike doesn't exist yet. However, I've been doing a little snooping on line and I think somebody might be listening in on these conversations. While my perfect bike isn't in production it sounds like there's a possibility of some lighter "adventure" bikes in the next few years. TBC[/QUOTE]

kawi super Sherpa, XT225/250, a lot of after market support or DR200 not as much after market support, all under 300lbs.
  15. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    Congratulations. You're "That guy." :asshat
  16. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wait let me get this straight. You went on a novice rally ride? And a guy who claims to be a experienced rider was crowding you..well maybe he can ride faster then you ,but experience he hasn't got. A experienced rider whould not be there unless he came to coach/mentor or support a noob. Sounds like he may know just enough to boost his insecure ego.
    Hamamelis likes this.
  17. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Did you do the level 3 kit? I'm still bummed I didn't get to check out your bike at the rally. I sat on a stock 2014 a few weeks ago, definitely needs some changes to fit (mostly the pegs, need lower and farther forward - supposed to be in the works at Rally Raid)

Just saw you're in Orange County.....
  18. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    I'm leaning that way, except the 690
    Drwnite likes this.
  19. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm beginning to think the "adventure" crowd is very similar to the Harley crowd.....
    Banter likes this.
  20. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    kawi super Sherpa, XT225/250, a lot of after market support or DR200 not as much after market support, all under 300lbs.[/QUOTE]

Did the xt250, good bike for certain trips, but doesn't work for me anymore.