myth of the light weight adventure bike for dirt and adv riding?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by B1, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    Good to know - probably explains why I see so many quality videos and articles/reports on traveling via thumpers in Australia!

And yeah markk, I can confirm that the East coast and Appalachia are excellent for moto-touring, even if you never leave pavement. Sometimes I can forget just how good I have it in Virginia. Though, to y'alls credit, I've definitely seen a fair few roads in the hillier bits of the Mid-west and especially down through the Ozarks that rival ours! Not to mention all the quality stuff right around the Great Lakes, especially through Lake Superior.
  2. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go play in south east Ohio and into WV some time. Beach did a tour of SE Ohio a few years back, based out of Cambridge. There are county roads that are phenomenal riding with twists and turns up and down the hills on decent pavement for some supermoto like play. Then there are the dirt roads all over the place. Just damn cool. The big bikes would do it well too, but the smaller bores can be thrashed a bit more and can be a blast flogging them.
    Macho Man2 and Amphib like this.
  3. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Funny you mention this..(im in Western North Carolina btw), but part of what got me thinking was the 2 trips this year I took up into WV. I've got great riding here, I feel very fortunate, but I fell in love with WV. Next trip up I'm going to get farther north and hit some Ohio and PA.
  4. markk53

Oddometer:
    It's not unusual for us to ride a hundred miles goofing around on the back roads and never get more than 30 miles from home... my friend's home in Dover Ohio and New Philadelphia where I used to live. I still take the bike up there in my truck to ride. If you can hit the right time, the Ohio Valley BSA Owners Group in Toronto Ohio on either their spring swap meet and Reliability Run (dual sport and adventure routing) or the fall Reliability Run (again dual sport and adventure routing). They hit both some good pavement and some rough dirt/gravel and some trails too. Do a google on the OVBSAOG to see what they have on their web site. The other one is to be up in the area when there are some flat track races to add to the whole thing, dual sport/adventure the day then go to the races at night. There are like 22 scheduled short track and half mile races scheduled in Ohio for this summer, including the AMA Vintage Days road races at Mid Ohio and half mile at Ashland Ohio. Some clubs may allow camping on their grounds.
    Amphib likes this.
  5. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems like my "adventure riding" is perhaps more like the Australian variety: lots of two track and single track with almost no sealed roads. I guess my intention when adventure riding is to simply extend the type of riding I do when out for a day ride, but instead of having to turn around to get home around nightfall, the ride continues farther from home and camp becomes the starting point the next morning.
    dirt hokie likes this.
  6. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll have to look them up when I come to the US next year
  7. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heck, it's not as if we also wanted it to fly.

Though that would be nice... :D

starwars-hoverbike.clip.jpg
  8. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I want to ride strictly off road I ride the 300. If I want to hang with the sportbike guys in the twisties I ride the superduke. If I want to do both of those in the same day, and be 400miles from where I started without a sore ass I ride the Adventure. it's as simple as that. Ya, it's not a dirt bike, or a sportbike, or a touring bike, but it does all of that fairly well, that is what an "adventure bike" is all about to ME*.
    B1 likes this.
  9. markk53

Oddometer:
    Hard to find a continuance of dirt roads in the general area in the U.S. Appalachians that we've been able to find. You have to hit some pavement to get to some dirt/gravel. One of the curses of being in a well established area. A fair number of the rough roads can be prime riding, but ya still gotta get from one to another to another... It would be great if we lived where that was possible. The mountains had thousands of paths from migration west and livestock movement, the most predominantly used ones ended up paved, others kept open for access to fields. We look for the latter riding the former. Of course the shortest direct routes with the most travel became state and U.S. routes. So it is like a big spider web around the hills and mountains, any variety of kinds of roads. Unfortunately most off road has been closed off due to a variety of reasons, probably mostly due to noise and tearing up people's land. There are some state and national forests with trails.

As for camping, more power to ya. We just ride out one direction from home then go out another direction the next day since it's pretty much all around us. We do west into Amish country any day but Sunday, most restaurants are run by Mennonite and closed Sunday, the pie is too good to pass up so we do them on Saturday or week days. When we do some other area we hit a motel and work out away from there in different directions on given days. Just not campers. Have done it but prefer not. A lot of our riding is one day, have to be at work Monday.

As for an adventure bike, it's one that is fun for whatever type of riding I'm doing. Of course that has nothing to do with the classifications used by manufacturers and the market place.
  10. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    There is the Mid-Atlantic BDR, and also the NC->VA leg of the TAT. Those are probably going to be the easiest long dirt-y rides to get together in the area, but I know even that portion of the TAT uses a fistful of paved surface roads due to the nature of the area (all of which have thumper-worthy speed limits, thankfully)

One of these days I'll have the time to run the full length of the TAT but that's probably gonna have to wait until I leave this job - gives me some time to start saving up eh
    Dualsport4ever and B1 like this.
  11. markk53

Oddometer:
    That is on the list, possibly part of the trails this summer. I hope.
  12. dirt hokie

dirt hokie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mt brother, a friend, and my self are doing the TAT loop of the Rockies this summer. My current bike is XR400 and most of my miles are East Coast dual sport rides ,trail rides in Pa coal country a few ECEA hare scrambles in the old fat guy class and because my wife thinks I don't spend enough money on dirt bikes, I have gotten into vintage hare scrambles the last few years. Lots and lots of single track and tight technical stuff. The most miles I have done in two days was 500, that was the LA,B2 V back in 2014. Brother rides a KTM 500 ECX and our friend has a DRZ400 and has ridden street bikes. We have all pretty much decided a KTM 690 would be perfect, its essentially the biggest "dirt bike" you can get. I would like to get one, but I also need a bike for trail riding and single track with the occasional race thrown in, and I cant afford to buy two bikes, My XR400 could probably "make it" but I don't want to try kick starting that old girl at 10,000 ft, and would have to worry about jetting .... The CRF 450L might be good, except it has way to much plastic bits and wires and pollution control stuff stuffed into it. A KTM 500 exc would work great but the lack of any sub frame is going to make carrying gear for this trip harder to manage. So that brings me to a yamha WR 450, if i can find a low mile one with a street title and good light kit. I need a bike that can do a 10 day 2800 mile adventure ride around the Rockies, e start, fuel injection, able to carry some gear, and race Senior C class hare scrambles and last me 10 years. If my XR was fuel injected and e-start it would not even be a question. I am a married guy with two teenagers ( son rides and races with me ) So this is going to be a once in 5 year kind of trip. The LAB 2 V was the last big riding trip.
  13. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suggest doing a little more research about the limitations you perceive for the KTM 500.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/adventurizing-a-ktm-500exc-for-rtw-riding.1369978/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/new-zealand-rtw-and-back-on-a-ktm500exc.1181912/
    MTBRALPH likes this.
  14. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Beta 500 rr-s Rally...about 270 lbs.

[​IMG]
    Dualsport4ever and Mambo Dave like this.
  15. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks great, but seems to be a little light on fuel carrying capacity.
  16. markk53

Oddometer:
    Doesn't make them great. After all, even a Ruckus can be set up for adventure riding and RTW riding - per ADVrider "Aroudn the World on a 50cc Honda Ruckus (with a bicycle in tow)" click here :

[​IMG]

Whether he made it or not is irrelevant.

Now that is one light weight adventure bike!
  17. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wonder what ever happened to Wan.
  18. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most any bike can be set up for adventure riding but KTM's 500 checks all the boxes for dirt hokie better than any other I can think of.

"I need a bike that can do a 10 day 2800 mile adventure ride around the Rockies, e start, fuel injection, able to carry some gear, and race Senior C class hare scrambles and last me 10 years."

The tail of a 500 will carry 35-40 pounds of gear without problems and if you're worried install a rack http://www.globetrottin.com/

If you check out Aaron's ride report he got over 60,000 miles on his 500 before needing any engine work. Plenty of folks are still riding 15+ year old KTM RFS bikes and they didn't hold up as well as the newer models.

Plus the 500 only weighs about 35 pounds more than a Ruckus.

It's not for everyone but worth a look for dirt hokie.
    MTBRALPH likes this.
  19. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    hell, you can ride a bicycle around the world. it's not about what you "can" ride it's about what you want to ride.
    Burro driver likes this.
  20. markk53

Oddometer:
    That was kind of the point... :nod