"Mythbusters" dual sport shootout!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by flux_capacitor, Aug 12, 2009.

1. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd give my fellow thumper enthusiasts a heads up on this as it's pretty cool (I thought). This month's issue of Popular Mechanics has a dual sport shootout and Jamie Hyneman from "Mythbusters" is involved.

It's kind of a strange comparison, though, as somehow a 450EXC got put alongside a XT250, KLX250, CRF230, and a DRZ400. :norton Still an enjoyable read though! :ricky
  2. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:
    noobs dont know the difference??
  3. [poser]

[poser] the un-original

Oddometer:
    KTM probably funded it :deal
  4. Chuck289

Chuck289 Air cooled

Oddometer:
    Seems like an odd line up, and they are missing a few bikes. Still i'll probably pick up that issue.
  5. KellyC

KellyC TimeKeeper

Oddometer:
    So is Jamie Hyneman a legit off roader or could his PR people have just as easily placed him in a shootout for laptops in the same rag?
  6. kyns

kyns Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a myth, that KTM will win this test.... BUSTED!:deal
  7. SteelRain

SteelRain Beer Cooled

Oddometer:
    I know he can ride... His level may or may not be so important if the article is geared toward a new rider. His ability to dicern differences is.
  8. Chuck289

Chuck289 Air cooled

Oddometer:
    I wonder if they test things like if the motorcycle can fly, while on a treadmill. And then see how well it floats.
  9. KellyC

KellyC TimeKeeper

Oddometer:
    I was curious as to whether he is legitimately interested in off road riding.

Is he a dirt bike guy...

Always like to see "celebs" (maybe a stretch in this case) who are into bikes. Not that it matters to most of us, but what they say and think obviously matters to the masses...
  10. Robert_C

Robert_C Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw the article a couple of days ago (my father subscribes). As I recall, they felt that the KTM was a good choice for a more experienced rider; however, not a good choice for a beginner.

It was interesting to me that they compared the Yamaha with a carburetor and then concluded that the Fuel Injected one, which was not in the test group, was better . They should have included that one in the review.
  11. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    So did they blow one of them up at the end?:clap
  12. [poser]

[poser] the un-original

Oddometer:
    Did anyone see the "Jesse James is a Dead Man" where he races a dirt bike in baja or something?
    He's suposed to be a hardcoe bike and expert rider no matter waht he rides. At the end I felt much better about my riding abilities :rofl
  13. mjydrafter

mjydrafter evil boy for life

Oddometer:
    Yer new around here, huh?:lol3

Enjoy (click me)

I've always wondered which one of the MB gang was a moto-person. They always have a lot of pretty decent gear.

There was a thread in the basement, somebody asked about a DS spotted in one of the episodes. It was the one where they went to see a light bulb in a CA firestation that has been burning for a long time (like turn of the century, the one before last:D ). I think it was decided that it was owned by someone that worked at the firestation.
  14. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the episode where they were trying to flip a motorcycle by shoving a stick in the front wheel Jamie said that it had been a few years since he had ridden, but had ridden cross country once.
  15. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went to the popular mechanics website and couldn't find it, do you have a link?
  16. Chuck289

Chuck289 Air cooled

Oddometer:

kind of a late bump, but anyway...

Here's a couple quotes from the article.

"Jamie gravitates right to the fire-breathing KTM - it became his favorite steed on this trip."

"For those of us with less experience, the KTM can be a bit intimidating. But Jamie can't get enough of it. (By this time, the MythBuster has long since dispelled any doubts about his riding prowess - the man has some serious off-road chops)"
  17. BrShootr

BrShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, I disagree....I keep changing my mind about getting a crf230, a drz 400 and a 450exc.

This article would be perfect for me!

No, they're not similar bikes, but for someone who's never owned a dirt bike, this is a tough choice, since you don't know what you want until after you got "a" bike to use as a benchmark.

crf230 is a good single track, but crappy on highways, so the question is wether a 400 is a good compromise. But how much of a compromise? How much less off-roading will I be doing on a 400 opposed to a 230? Would I really care about trailering a 230 to all the single track stuff? Where I live, would I really put the 230 to good use or will it sit in the garage most of the time when the 400 could've been used?

Anyway, just some questions that would link a 4xx to a 2xx cc dirt bike.
  18. BrShootr

BrShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
    The CRF230L or XT250 would be easiest to learn on. They are fine around town and can handle short highway hops. The commitment as far as maintenance is less than the KTM.

The KTM is about the same weight as the little bikes but the power deliver and height will make it more challenging. It is not a practical commuter because it lacks a cush drive, radiator fan, and useful lighting.

The DRZ is a proven favorite, more on the heavy side, and has sort of given way to the newer WR250R. The Yamaha has a six speed and a smooth motor, which makes it more agreeable on the highway than the DRZ, and it has less weight and better suspension, which gives it an advantage off road.

I think you'd be better off looking for a nice clean XT225 or Sherpa for your benchmark bike.
  20. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think in one of the episodes Adam Savage was riding an old XR500R, it may have been the stick-in-the-spokes one. Anyone remember seeing that?