N GA Holiday Ride Report

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cbob, Dec 31, 2004.

1. cbob

cbob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nine Adventure Riders gathered for the final ride of 2004 at Toosy's Way Station in Dahlonega GA. It was a GREAT DAY FOR A RIDE!

The Gathering . . . . Key Time 9:00am. Temp a balmy 45F
    [​IMG]

We passed a KLR on our final leg to the mountains. Sure would be nice if he joined us. Sure enough, we found him at the tail end of our group. Fella rode 100 miles to get here, and he almost missed the ride!

First stop: A dead end after a stream crossing. Lots of campsites and not a soul around.
    [​IMG]

Having turned around, it was time to cross the stream and head back.
    First submarine!
    [​IMG]

Having set the example, other submarines followed . . . .
    [​IMG]
    getting ready to dive . . . DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!
    [​IMG]
    and now a more conservative approach . . . .
    [​IMG]
    No problem for the Big Kahuna 950
    [​IMG]
    or even the BIGGER Kahuna V-Strom!
    [​IMG]
    Dual Sport Wanna Be? I think DSWB sets the example for all of us to follow. An LC4-E ridden the way it was meant to be. Here is how "The Doctor" does it, minimizing trail footprint by only using one wheel:
    [​IMG]
    Way to go, Mike!

After all that water, seems like somebody ordered our first break of the day.
    [​IMG]

But time to get on the trail again
    [​IMG]

second wave . . .
    [​IMG]

third wave . . .
    [​IMG]

Another trail series, this time on FS 42 just south of Cooper Gap:
    [​IMG]

It takes this long for the camera to get ready for the next shot:
    [​IMG]

Now these things get thirsty so we pulled in for fuel. Here's V-Strom hosing him and his bike after a get-off (he's got my respect for even trying some of these roads!). He's got a hard earned and well deserved "Adventure Rider" sticker on the back fender.
    [​IMG]

and I have to admit, we got thirsty (and hungry!), too:
    [​IMG]

So that was pretty much it. After a belly-full of Kari Burgers it turned most of our riders mellow, except Mike, who has my ultimate admiration for his attack style, and the game of herding cats was just about over. Three of us forged ahead to conquer the original trail plan: To ride trails and roads North of Suches. It was a dutiful ride covering FS 39 from GA180 to GA60, then back over Cooper Gap, giving our Army's Finest (USA Ranger Mountain Training Camp) a thumbs-up as we pass the guard shack on FS28 and back to Toosy's.

No regrets. It was a FANTASTIC DAY for a GREAT RIDE and I can't wait to do it again with the same bunch of guys.

It doesn't get any better than this. Is this a great country or what?

- c bob
  2. Sod Buster

Sod Buster Llano Estacado

Oddometer:
    Nice pics and report.:thumb

Excellent water crossing.:thumb
    [​IMG]
  3. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [sappiness]My wife and I had one of our first "dates" in that joint. Good times.[/sappiness]

Hey, I don't own any yellow gear, nor do I ride a yellow bike, but would I be allowed to ride with you guys should the opportunity arise? :D
  4. Troutrider

Troutrider Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've never seen a better looking group of bikes sitting in front of Turner's Corner! Time constraints kept Todd and I from bringing the DP bikes. Rest assured we were jealous. Next time we'll bring the knobby bikes.....Hey Meathead.....the site for the Foggy Guard is www.streetandcomp.com Look under Respro Products. Very much worth the $15.00. .......BMan, be sure and PM me about that box. See ya'll next time.

Troutrider
  5. GaM

GaM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh man, those pics have my blood racing. I rode up 411 to Eton and went in to Holley Creek, turned around and came home, all I had was the morning yesterday. I'm gonna start looking around for something a little more loftable, a little lighter (so I don't need a crane to get it off of me), and a little more tractable in the dirt, I rode the Southeastern enduro circuit for several years waaay back in the day and I find this dl1000 somewhat frustrating in the dirt, gonna keep it though, I love this bike.
  6. GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB

GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey cbob, thanks for putting the ride together.:thumb I really enjoyed meeting some other adventure riders, and the lunch. I usually want to cover more ground and skip lunch, but it was good for a change.:nod Sorry I had to leave in such a hurry, but knew I would never make it home at a decent hour if I did not get rolling. By the way I ran 19/129 to 180 to wolf pen gap road the fs road from the top to mulkey gap took mukey gap to 60 north to rock creek to fs 42 to doublehead gap on the way home.:D WFO all the way! I guess you had to be there to enjoy it. Let me know next ride time/place and maybe we can show you some new routes.:evil Take care and remember ride it like you stole it, you only live once!
  7. cbob

cbob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mike, we know the route you took 'cause we followed your roost! You left a nice trail, sorta like cookie crumbs following you home!

Yeah, I enjoyed it too. We need to get you a real dirt bike, though. Spent the day at Durhamtown today banging bars on trees on an EXC, 30% lighter. You'da loved it. Trade in your LC4 for a 450 / 520 EXC and get some supermoto wheels for the street. Best of both worlds!

If anybody wants these pics (2MB) send me a pm with an email addr.

later,
    - c bob
  8. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Sorry I missed it! It looks great. Excellent pictures cbob. Thanks for taking care of Dirty and Slim. I'm totally there next time.

PS is DTown open year round?
  9. cbob

cbob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
    Nice looking roads ya got there. I give this report 2 thumbs up :thumb :thumb
  11. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    Thanks cbob, hey were was that stream xing at? I think I've been there a few times by mistake but I never seem to be able to find it again for some reason.
  12. cbob

cbob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    at the end of FS77, which is off Winding Stair Gap Rd (forget the FS#). It's a pretty neat place to camp, complete with cabins, picnic tables, etc. I've never seen anyone use it.

- c
  13. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    Cool, I'll have to look for it next time. As it turns out, me and Dirty got together for some last minute riding this afternoon and we hit FS28, very close to that spot. We came across 5 diff't horse groups though and I don't think I'll be hittin that particular FS again. From there we hit Nimblewill Creek and headed into Amicalola Falls. The roads through there are pretty rough...we were wishing we had some knobbies today!
  14. Meathead

Meathead tin man

Oddometer:
    I don't have a whole lot of time for yapping, but wanted to get these pictures up. I tried from home on Saturday, but my computer's still all f'ed up. :bluduh

I met up with Gray Ghost on his 950, and we went to the Krystal in Marietta to wait on GDSWB - short wait. I'd heard from GaelicDog the night before, and he still wasn't sure if he was gonna make it. I had, unfortunately not taken my phone charger with me, and hadn't been home since the day before, so my phone was dying. I ASSumed that the Dog had GGhost's number, too, and left him a message telling him to call if he was gonna try to catch up.

We hauled ass.

. . . First coupla pics kinda suck. Deal with it.

[​IMG]

GDSWB took the lead 'cause we figured the "buzzy" LC4 would set a reasonable pace :lol3 . . . there's no such thing as a reasonable pace with this guy - he's WFO all the time!

We met up with DirtySouth and Slim at 515/108, and bs'ed for a few. Slim DIDN'T bring snacks for everybody, like Dirty'd said he would. Stingy bastards, the both of 'em. :lol3

Notice the disparity between the seat height of the LC4, and GDSWB's inseam (he's on the right). :huh Trust me, it doesn't mean a damn thing. This joker can ride the dog---- out of that thing! :nod Helluva good guy, too. He even managed to "predict" that I was the one causing the big delay, 'cause I'd wiped out in the mud on the 'Strom. :cry

[​IMG]

Here's the crowd at Toosy's, ready to head out.

[​IMG]

Many of my pics are nearly identical to those already shown, so I'll not post the "duplicates," but this one is worth y'all seeing.

In your best Barney Fife (sp?) voice . . . "He's a NUT!"

[​IMG]

:thumb

And now we've come to that fateful moment . . . my first dirty get-off. I know I'm supposed to take pictures of it while it's still napping, but adrenaline got the better of me, and I'd righted it before I even thought about the camera. Next time.

Freshly righted, but dirty.

[​IMG]

I had the gravel thing pretty well handled, but when I came around this turn I saw Slim's rear tire wash all over the place as he rode through the mud. I tried to slow the big bastard down as much as I could, but the front end washed out from under me. :huh (I THINK) It lowsided, and then, somehow, flopped over on the other side. The only real damage was some significant scuffing to the lower leading corner of the right saddle bag, a bent brake pedal, and cracked left peg mount. :freaky Woohoo! I think I've been formally initiated. :rofl

The evil mud.

[​IMG]

MY track through the mud is pretty easy to spot . . . it's the one that heads for the dropoff. :bluduh

Gray Ghost and BMan came around the corner while I was still on the ground, the big Ghost had the same slowing problem I'd had, but rolled through and past me. BMan (red KLR) managed to get stopped, and the two of 'em checked my vitals. :lol3 Fortunately, neither of them had a camera. :wink:

The only scenery pic I took all day.

[​IMG]

THIS may be the best pic of the day.

[​IMG]

I ate lunch with Slim and the Dirty man. Hilarious coupla guys. Slim was headed all the way back to Calhoun that night to reload the KLR and leave for Greenville, SC. He's not skeered. :freaky

And, last but not least, my blackmail material on the Ghost. :evil I got you on a double yeller, Ghost, you lawbreaker you. :lol3

Breakin' the law! Breakin' the law! :super

[​IMG]

A good time was had by all. :nod 'Cept maybe my bike, and Dirty's handlebars, and GDSWB's tires. :lol3

Happy New Year, everybody. :thumb
  15. Meathead

Meathead tin man

Oddometer:
    Ooooh, I forgot to mention . . . when we left Turner's Corner, I rode out with Suppermotodd, Troutrider, and, though I didn't realize it until after the fact, Pengaleng. I never managed a formal introduction to Pengy, unfortunately, but I'll make it priority #1 on the next ride. :nod

I managed (somehow) to keep up with Todd and Greg (?) better than I thought I would, though I think they may have been sandbagging a bit. :huh Thanks, guys - that ride was a blast, and I'd never have been able to manage that pace without you. :thumb

End of the World Rally, Todd? :evil
  16. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn! All that yellow, my eyes :D

All day I looked to the NE and thought the glow in the sky was the world coming to an end :nod .

Looks like a good time, gonna hafta make it over that way and get ya'all to show me around :nod
  17. Boojum

Boojum I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer:
    Hey Pengy, I saw you in that shot in front of Turners. Just wondering WHAT BIKE your riding??? I didn't see ths GS. Were you Dirt Biking It? Just Wondering!

Boojum!
    :freaky
  18. Pengaleng

Pengaleng Hellbilly Peckerwood

Oddometer:
    That is simply not true...Meathead!!!! :lol3

Sorry that we did not shake hands...perhaps you could tell us more about this rally,,,

End of World?
  19. Pengaleng

Pengaleng Hellbilly Peckerwood

Oddometer:
    :wave GS - but I'm really close to being done w/ the other project.
    Have you seen anything about this End of the World rally? What is this End of World?
  20. Suppermotodd

Suppermotodd Tag Thief

Oddometer:
    The end of the world!! Ok, If we can ride there I'm in!:D