N.W. of Phoenix ADV Riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by AZ Mark, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    Yer pretty close.
  2. drdfblackm

drdfblackm VeeFeer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bike picked up today by Semper Fi Haulers. Super nice guy, very professional and very reasonable.
  3. jtwest

jtwest Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer:
    isnt that the company that got caught running them down to mexico to sell?
    Sledred likes this.
  4. drdfblackm

drdfblackm VeeFeer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not that I am aware of, I spoke with 3 different people that had bikes delivered by this guy in the last month and all said the same thing, great guy, super professional, and very reasonable.

I originally put transport....this guy is Semper Fi Haulers.
  5. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    Thats should help you feel more comfortable... NOT.:imaposer
  6. jtwest

jtwest Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer:
    I was just joking. sorry if I caused confusion.
  7. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. Mingo13

Mingo13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all!

My fiance and I just moved to northern Phoenix three weeks ago from Ohio, and of course brought all of our bikes - we have non street legal dirt bikes and also a Honda NX250 / Honda NX650 pair. Looking forward to doing lots of riding here!

So far we have only ventured out one day - picked an easy ride to do on the Bloody Basin Road just to get our feet wet. We were following a 4X4 offroad book that I have and made the mistake of getting of our bikes to go see some petroglyphs and got attacked by some killer bees. Yikes! Thankfully we were both okay but it definitely made us realize that we are not in Ohio anymore and need to be more prepared for the real life dangers that are out here!

So what supplies to you guys always take with you when you venture out?! Also what GPS / GPS apps do you guys use specifically in AZ that work well? Thanks for the help!
  9. DR650SEDDY

Oddometer:
    Any form of GPS works fine ( I'm not big fan of Garmin) also u can upload Geo Tracker app on ur phone. That's a good feature to have. Carry lots of water. Carry some tools, also stuff that helps u replace a tube/fix a flat (extra tubes. tire irons etc...). I am not fan of solo riding but If u venture alone it's good to have SPOT Tracker or the like. AGATT is a must even with hot weather. Ride safely and watch for blind spot on corners/turns. I'd rather be attacked by bees than rattles snakes or mountain lions :D. Keep it under 95 mph:lol3. Welcome to AZ.
  10. Psycho18th

Psycho18th Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All of that, but emphasize watching the curves on anything wider than singletrack. The side by sides have become the bane of off-road riding in AZ and you’ll lose that crash. Carry lots of water. Rides can start early and cool, and any delay can make it late and hot.

I use Motion-X GPS app on an old iPhone. You can download the maps, because you won’t have cell coverage anywhere worth riding.

Coconino Trail Riders is having a dual sport event up in Flagstaff first weekend of August. I’ve done it a couple times. Great way to see some beautiful places to ride and to meet some fellow riders to plan future adventures. You can find the info on their website.

Welcome!
    2 SPOT and AZ TOM like this.
  11. Psycho18th

Psycho18th Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also, the Coconino and Prescott forests (maybe others?) have motor vehicle use maps you can get for free. They aren’t super accurate, but helpful to find open trails/roads.
    Foiler and CapeMan like this.
  12. Mingo13

Mingo13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for the tips! It only took one barely off road Jeep ride with a friend when we were visiting AZ to see exactly how the side by sides are here unfortunately..

We will definitely be attending the dual sport ride in Flagstaff, hope to meet some of you there!
    DSTRCR, Foiler and AZ TOM like this.
  13. kbblue

kbblue mmmm... dirt...

Oddometer:
    Hey Mingo13! Great to hear you're coming up for the event. For those who don't know... Coconino Trail Riders is putting on the Mountain Madness dual sport event in Flagstaff Aug 3,4 for anyone interested in getting out of the heat and doing some riding. There are A, B, C routes and one for big bikes. Here's the link to the ADV thread for more info.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/moun...az-dualsport-event-by-ctr-august-3-4.1382445/

kb
    Sledred likes this.
  14. AZ Mark

AZ Mark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This morning was too inviting. A cloudy, much cooler morning than the past 30 and... there was about bit of rain last night. So I headed "East Young/Old Man" for a bit of AZ summer adventure. Pretty easy run as the mud was just drying and the Grader had just worked all of Constellation and Buckhorn roads at least to the first windmill in Buckhorn Creek, as this as where I turned around. Worked in several of my bonus loops and was back at the Casa by 8am.

Took just a couple of photo so you would not think I was just arm-chair riding!
    IMG_4163.JPG IMG_4163.JPG IMG_4164.JPG IMG_4165.JPG
    redrock88, BIG-E, Sledred and 9 others like this.
  15. zachd

zachd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all...Just dropping in and saying hello! I picked up my 17 1290 SA-T back in November. I'm out in Avondale.

Looking for fellow inmates in the Greater Phoenix area to start riding and adventure with, as my good riding buddy moved away. Solo rides are great, but group rides are better! Let me know if anyone is ever up for a ride. Tarmac or Dirt!

Zach
    Foiler and Some Beach like this.
  16. Netaron

Netaron n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Zach et all,

I'm in, I just picked up an 850GS, rode about halfway from 87 to four peaks last weekend, great ride. But also up for pavement rides, hope to do the Prescott loop once my road bike gets her new shoes.

Aron

Attached Files:

redrock88, zachd and Some Beach like this.
  17. zachd

zachd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shoot me a message next time you're gonna head out!
    Netaron likes this.
  18. fattraxx

fattraxx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe I was the only one on the big Adv bike route. Ducati MS 1200 Enduro. Had a great time on the roads and trails laid out on the route. I live in Glendale and I’m always up for an ADV ride, or dirt bike ride, CRF450X.
    Some Beach and Netaron like this.
  19. maffud

maffud Now with 30% less maffud.

Oddometer:
    I can't believe how quiet it is around here with the weather as nice as it is! Is anyone planning to do any riding this weekend?
  20. DR650SEDDY

Oddometer:
    Maybe next weekend i'll keep u posted, I am changing few stuff on my bike. Thanks for reviving this corner of the forum :-).