Nachtflugs US Tour 2003.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by nachtflug, Aug 4, 2003.

1. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    Someone wrote a book about The Who called "Before I get to Old". Meaning if he didn't get it down on paper, he'd forget all the good stuff. All early 60'd Mods and Rockers history of which the Who grew out of. Not that I'm a big Who fan, and if someone had tossed that little jackass Keith Moon out of a hotel window like he did with TV's and anything else the sad little light weight could get his hands on that would have suited me just fine. But I read the book when I was in the goddam Navy cos in 84 Great Lakes Naval Training Center had a pretty big library, and thus the book was chosen to pass the time. Or was it Orlando Naval Training Center in 89?.

The Med Cruise in 87?

Who gives a shit.

Fuck Fish, Fuck Keith Moon, and FYYFF's. Nachtflugs US Tour 2003 began on July 18th at 1300 EST, (thats 1 pm for all you landlubbers), and there were no ceremonious pics to start. Just some fast talking to get me out of work at 12:30 instead of 1700. The bike was locked and loadedagain and I literally ran out the door, months of anticipation finally realized.

Fucking A, I'ma going to Calyfornia. By myself. Speedometer reading 45670, Nachtflugs US Tour commenced.

In the rain.

:flug :flug :flug
    RockyRaccoon likes this.
  2. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    I ain't sayin' nothin'. I'm just gonna watch. :flug :drums
  3. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer:
    And so it begins...:1drink
  4. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    now before I get to old, I'd like to take this time to say thanks to one advrider in particular. John MacDonald and I had exchanged emails back and forth occasionaly the previous year, and more than once he claimed I should come out to the Bay area and chill. As the Sierra thing developed and I committed to go, I asked John if I might make his abode my destination for the western leg of the tour and he very graciously (foolishly?) said, by all means. So on that note I want to thank John MacDonald for making a 3000 mile ride across country for the first time in my life, solo no less, seem so much less daunting. I'd also like to make sure he tells the redheaded singer if she ever wants to change her last name to one with a bunch of vowels, she is certainly welcome to do that also.

Thanks John, your hospitality was greatly appreciated.

on with the show...
  5. dizave

dizave Team Blitzed

Oddometer:
    It's about friggin time. Why do you think I've been haunting this place since you got home.
  6. Augie

Augie The new voice of reason

Oddometer:
    and keep it on the windscreen. A great souviner. I stil got mine for you. now get back to the prose of the journey......
  7. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    hey, I always like the part in the Longest Yard, where Bert Reynolds has them all in the huddle for the last play with 7 seconds left and he says, real serious "fuck youuuuuuuu Fish".

so let me echo that note and say also.

Fuck you Fish. You Jackass you. your little secrets out YFFY.

Well, since nothing special happened on Friday the 18th of July, I had to add a little color. Rode 500 miles, and at 8:30 PM, in the sun, as the rain was far behind, or aft in the goddam Navy, I rolled off of I80 into a suburb of Cleveland. and heres the first goddam picture of the Tour.

on two.

hut hut.

[​IMG]
    SlipChip likes this.
  8. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Did you get laid, or was it a wasted trip?:scratch
    Gordy
  9. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    Hey, all youse guys, STFU and let the man work ...
    :stfu
  10. Augie

Augie The new voice of reason

Oddometer:
    Only waiting till the good stuff Ohio sucks and evreyone knows it.
  11. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    its ok, rider, the more the merrier on this one, besides someone might jog my memory about something. and speaking of which, getting laid, there were these girls in the room next to mine in Cleveland, all recently divorced, right about my age, pretty drunk I might ad, and when I stuck my head in the open room door to say hi, they all stopped from their pajama party pillow fight, and chased me down the hall back to my room and told me if I ever stuck my head in their room they'd hand it to the local PD on a silver platter.

good thing I still had my helmet on.
  12. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    but back to the tour.

the Cleveland Yellow Pages pic was actually taken in the morning, as I was on my way out the door, and back on I80 at 06:15 am EST, 7/19/03. Saturday morning for you boots.

afore long, it was welcome to Indiana. the highlight of Ohio was the drive in check in window at the hotel, and the $39.95 room charge.

[​IMG]
  13. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    Come on Master of suspense, abbreviate our torment and tell us everything, yes everything about it :getdown

BTW, it was really nice to meet you!
  14. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    say what you will about Indiana, the inbreeding, Bobby Knight, Notre Dame football being given National Titles over teams that beat them, but they have Dunkin Donuts on I80, so they aint all bad. Not a cloud in the sky, and life is good on I80.

[​IMG]
  15. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    Jean Luc, it was great to meet you also, and I won't tell anyone you dumped the VStrom right in the parking lot executing a simple U Turn....

Seriously, it was good meeting you.

Indiana is not without faults though. I80 is a toll road, and if your not careful, you'll do what I did, which was pay the toll and find yourself on I90, wondering if your still on I80, and wasting an hour in construction, trying to ask flag girls directions.

"is this still I80?"

OK, she was black.

"where are you going"

"California"

"for real?!"

yes for real, am I still on I80.

puzzled look. just follow the signs up ahead, you can get there.

fyyff.

ended up riding right thru the city on I90, too pissed off to take a picture, and it would have been a goodun, cos the Chi town view from I90 is stunning on a summer day with blue skies and bright sun, even from the wrong goddam road.

got me self turned about without dumping it and took a chance on I57 south and was rewarded with an intersection with I80. onward we went.
  16. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    so making a steady 30 knots, before you, me, or even Rabia knows it, you find yourself in state #4 and its only early afternoon. cool. call me strange but I like Iowa.

btw, fuck you fish, and someone wake up BMWRIDER.

[​IMG]
  17. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I appreciate it :rofl :rofl :rofl

I guess that a good indiaction on how good the party was the night before! :2beer :dutch :freaky

Really :arg I thought only Europe had that plague :bluduh Oh well at least (in France) the toll roads/bridges are cheaper for motorcycles because they don't damage the road as much...
  18. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    its only a toll road in Ohio and Indiana, the bastards, and as I recall Ohio hits foy pretty good for your 240 miles worth, about 8 clams.

but on I went, I wanted to have some chow in a place I'd seen before and marveled at, but never stopped at in the 3 or 4 times I've been by it, but this time, I'd have my way with it, my tour after all.

I had finally arrived, properly hungry, to the mecca of I80, the one, the only...
  19. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    Iowa 80. Self proclaimed largest truck stop in the world. Parking for 800 big rigs, a fully stocked store for all trucking needs, showers, barber shop, mechanics, truck washing, souveniers, ice cream, and a buffet. move over, Mack.

[​IMG]
  20. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    as much as I like the charm of Iowa, I could do without the smoking at the counter, and when I suggested to this big guy in overalls and 5 dinner plates in front of him methodicaly eating his buffett courses to put the cigarette out by calling him a fucking fuck, I found my self sprinting for the bike, looking like Pee Wee Herman being chased by Randy in Pee Wees Big Adventure.

[​IMG]